Nebula is weak as fuck

grammar-nazi.jpg

just kidding

Mate; you're not teaching me anything. I get everything you're saying. But desks do not typically distort like resonant filters. Even when you drive the channels too hot on a desk, you get full frequency waveshaping (in my experience). Nebula does not do that. You get resonant peaks, akin to cranking the resonance on a subtractive moog ladder filter. There is something really odd about that to me. I'm talking like a full PIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG synthetic sound.

I suggest you go and compare overdriving the inputs and outputs of a real world console to overdriving nebula, and come to your own conclusion. Suffice to say, I wasn't happy with the result with Nebula, but I was happy with the result of VCC.
I know exactly the sound you're talking about, you're just not supposed to go that loud.
I don't really see what's the issue, as it's real hardware measurements, there's obviously a limit to the input gain you can dial in.

I usually have my tracks around -12 dB FS peak after editing, and even if I crank the input gain at max (+6dB), I'm still having 6 dB of headroom before that ugly sound.

Truie is nailing the point home. Everyone here that is REALLY bashing Nebula are either being impatient in figuring it out, being dramatic in their presentation of their opinion, or just not hearing it working (in drewdrummer's case, all 3).

Present your opinions all you want :Smokedev: If you can't work with it, then don't use it. So it doesn't fit your workflow? Then don't use it. I can't recall seeing another thread around that was created as nothing but a hate thread for any other plugin. This whole thing seems silly :lol:

My Kalthallen cabs are designed to be used with -18dbFs when you want to be in the middle of the cab dynamics. you can also feed it with -12db (more cranked cab) or lower (quieter driven cab).
Btw. I'm making a new library with the MEsa OS atm. It will slay :p

Great! New nebula cabs are welcome!
:kickass::Smokedev:

Truie is nailing the point home. Everyone here that is REALLY bashing Nebula are either being impatient in figuring it out, being dramatic in their presentation of their opinion, or just not hearing it working (in drewdrummer's case, all 3).

Present your opinions all you want :Smokedev: If you can't work with it, then don't use it. So it doesn't fit your workflow? Then don't use it. I can't recall seeing another thread around that was created as nothing but a hate thread for any other plugin. This whole thing seems silly :lol:

:lol:

I don't really see what's the issue

I've been pretty explicit about what I thought the issue(s) were, but the rampant fanboism has clouded all that. I expressed what I thought was wrong with the plugin and the banks that I've tried over the past number of years, and even though I was pretty acerbic about it, there were some valid points made.

But y'all want to throw out everything I've said under the banner "you don't know how to use it and you're just being a douche and you need to check your hearing"

Fuck off.

I've been pretty explicit about what I thought the issue(s) were, but the rampant fanboism has clouded all that. I expressed what I thought was wrong with the plugin and the banks that I've tried over the past number of years, and even though I was pretty acerbic about it, there were some valid points made.

But y'all want to throw out everything I've said under the banner "you don't know how to use it and you're just being a douche and you need to check your hearing"

Fuck off.
Calm down,
I never said something like there's a problem with you're hearing, and I don't think I'm even acting like a fanboy.
I'm just a regular Nebula user.
I was more trying to figure out what went wrong with your experience on a technical aspect, because what you described looks like you did something wrong.

Anyway, I give up trying to understand and help on all of this because unfortunately you decided this plugin sucks, and don't seems to be keen on spending more time on it trying to understand its philosphy.
I have no problem with that, and I also think that the non user-friendly aspect of Nebula is one of his bigest cons, even if I'm happy with it sound wise.

I fuckin' know how to gain stage guys! That isn't the problem here. Just accept that I was ranting and expressing my OWN opinion on Nebula, and that I just don't agree!

English isn't my native language so I have to admit I don't always understand all the nuance. But there are difference between it suck and I think it suck imho.

Maybe because at that point, I cranked the input gain to drive the channel harder, like you would with a tube preamp, compressor, guitar amp, or any other amplifier - it's a tonal option in the real world, and a capture of a console should allow for that, just like VCC and Sonimus do.

But with CLC, you just get garbage.

Don't assume that I am always leaving the signal that high though - I know how to gain stage, and I know when it can be abused to good effect.

You can't do that with every console, just in case you didn't know.
On classic Neve, ssl E/G serie yes. But I would pay to see your face while trying that on a J or an XL.:lol:

That say, I never tried to crank the input while using CLC, but in theory you should be able to do that without nasty thing...

At the end, happy you find something that float your boat...

Oh and I forget,
If someone interested about for the "drive the input" thing, there are some programs especially to do that, it's in the manual (with CLC, it's the IL3 program = input line driven).
But after using it for a while, I think it's better to use CLC with moderate, cleaner settings in mind, just to add a touch of color.

Mikaël-ange;10620493 said:
Ok let's put an other perspective:

I love the 9000J sound, for me it's probably the best board on this planet (need to check the XL so that fact can change). But that for me.
And I'm sure most peoples here would hate J serie sound (according from the whole VCC love here). Big, open, wide and clean.

Most 4k and 6k I use are E serie, so little bit to grimy for me, but I'm sure you guys would love it.

I'd love for VCC to provide a 9k model just for this reason. All of the models in there are in a way too grimy for the 'super modern' metal sound. You get width, glue for sure... but it always comes at the expense of clarity. But then I wonder - are the newer SSL consoles so clean that you might as well just mix ITB and save yourself the CPU overhead?

HEATHEN, next you'll be talking trash about Reaper :cry:

I like Reaper - I think what Justin has done is amazing. The workflow isn't for me though; I was a Reaper user for a good three years before I gave up and moved over to Studio One. Never been happier in that respect :D

don't seems to be keen on spending more time on it trying to understand its philosphy.

Aye bro, basically that in a nutshell. I am really liking VCC though, and thinking about VTM also.

Mikaël-ange;10620725 said:
You can't do that with every console, just in case you didn't know.
On classic Neve, ssl E/G serie yes. But I would pay to see your face while trying that on a J or an XL.:lol:

Yeah I'm not the most experienced with analog desks. I've used a few at various points, but usually the smaller ones that you find in project studios.

Anyway... regardless of what we all use; :headbang:

I'd love for VCC to provide a 9k model just for this reason. All of the models in there are in a way too grimy for the 'super modern' metal sound. You get width, glue for sure... but it always comes at the expense of clarity. But then I wonder - are the newer SSL consoles so clean that you might as well just mix ITB and save yourself the CPU overhead?

VCC provide a 4k model, not a 9K I think. Stevens modeled it using the Encore studio 4k from what I eared.

9000J sound like Pro tools as far as the coloration go. So mixing ITB without nothing get you in the ballpark.:lol:

I'm not saying 9000J sound like PT, but both act similar (crap everywhere when you gain stage incorectly, and it sound "better" when you clip ITB I guaranty you:OMG:).

At first it was a shock for me (I'm used to the E/G when you can push harder on the front end, overload clip on channel...etc.). J hate transient material like nobody else. So really small sweet spot for transient (kick/snare at Odbvu on input=nasty thing, crappy distortion worst than what happen in digital) on input, but so much headroom after that (have to trim down the 2bus out all the time for print back mix because AD converter can handle the level).

Really focused center image (like PT) but really wide side (widest 2bus on the planet). They also do a really subtle thing to the sound, can point out what it is... But that a thing I also ear on Ben Grosse or Jay Baumgardner mix.

The drawback with the J are: the input thing with transient and the fact your start to lose low end when hitting it with all input at once (those thing was corrected with the 9000xl).

I haven't used any new SSL board (aws and duality), but having spoke with some owner it seem to be that you can drive the duality harder than a J/XL.
For the aws, of course this board sound cleaner than a J/XL.
You need to remember a aws have the same signal path as an XL but shorter.

And for discourage you event more:lol:
I tried to mix a modern rock mix on a 9000J with close to no outboard for coloration. worst day I ever lived:lol:

Aye bro, basically that in a nutshell. I am really liking VCC though, and thinking about VTM also.
Glad you find out something that works for you, that's the main thing :kickass:

Pretty curious about VCC though, but for the use of "console coloration" I have (very subtle on channels, and normal glue/-6 dB FS on the 2bus), I think I'll stick with Nebula and keep my money to improve more important things in my studio :lol:

Personally, I think VCC is just as unnecessary as Nebula. I don't want or need any extra colorization or dirtying up of my tracks. Sounding ever so slightly different =/= sounding better. COME AT ME, FORUM.

You're right. Some of the biggest transatlantic hits have been done ITB. This is all esoteric stuff to make us feel better as engineers. End listeners don't care in the least. Don't let the marketing departments of plug-in companies let you hear that blasphemy though!