Nebula is weak as fuck

Got a bunch of the Ownhammer stuff, as well as Kalthallen and some others - can't quite remember what - and even though they sounded usable (I wont say amazing) they didn't sound appreciably better than regular IR's to me, certainly not when you take the CPU hit into consideration. I wouldn't be surprised if their code were inefficient - the whole experience just feels really cheap and amatuer to me to be honest.

VCC is really good. Wish I'd had this when I did our last album. I ran it across some of my drums - 16 tracks, plus a few busses. Computer didn't break a sweat, and it sounded better than the CLC console in Nebula by miles. Really dissappointed in the CLC console. Sounds guff.

We weren't talking about CPU consumption... ..."Nebula is weak as fuck, and lame as a dead dick. I literally *NEVER* hear it doing what everyone raves about it doing. I've used it for cab emulation, and it sounds no better than regular IR's to me..."

That was the first post of this thread. Obviously Nebula use a lot CPU. So, if you pay attention for example with Kalthallen IRs vs. Kalthallen Nebula's cabinet progs the sound is significally better. Nebula's have a real vibe that IRs haven't.

Which cabs for nebula have you tried? I used Kalthallen,and didn't find it any different from regular IR,hovewer demo cab from Ownhammer was noticeably better than IR equivalent.Is there any other free cabs for nebula?

Kalthallen and Ownhammer are the ones I've used, also AeternusEternus's stuff.

IRs seem flat and dull after using Nebula cabs, at least in my experience. I wish I could get IRs to sound a bit livelier and crisper, because software such as Recabinet is really bloody good.

No, I don't think.:worship:

And if you're wondering why I responded in a rather rude manner - "check your ears?" ... fuck off.

Ok let's put an other perspective:

I love the 9000J sound, for me it's probably the best board on this planet (need to check the XL so that fact can change). But that for me.
And I'm sure most peoples here would hate J serie sound (according from the whole VCC love here). Big, open, wide and clean.

Most 4k and 6k I use are E serie, so little bit to grimy for me, but I'm sure you guys would love it.

Do I need to have a ear check?
I don't thing, it's just taste imho.

And for going back to the topic, I own nebula and the CLC serie... Haven't used it for a while (using Heat and crane song phoenix instead), but at the time; it was probably the best available in the market.

Some peoples still love it, some don't... It's still taste.

But at the end, this thing doesn't matter, it's just tool.
What matter is getting the emotion that are in the track and enhance those in your mix. Make music that move people and escape those same people (the listener) from there life during the length of the song.

You also have to gain stage properly with Nebula cabs.
For example, Kalthallen cabs are intended to be hitted around -18dB FS.
I think it will sound like crap if you hit the plugin around 0 dB FS.

I'm trying Ownhammer Mesa OS at the moment and I'm getting decent results with it, using a real head.
I'll post some samples of raw guitars when I've got the chance (the things I'm working on at the moment are for a client and I can't post it here).

EDIT : like Scottxx said a good thing to do to hear the difference between IR and Nebula cabs is to compare both versions of the same library, as Kalthallen and Ownhammer comes in classic .wav IRs and Nebula versions.

:lol:

I fuckin' know how to gain stage guys! That isn't the problem here. Just accept that I was ranting and expressing my OWN opinion on Nebula, and that I just don't agree!

No offense dude, but in your first post you said you were hearing "distortion / resonnant filter sound" and that's what happen when you hit the plugin too hard / around 0dB FS.
And some other things were strange in what you wrote, like CLC banks only sounding louder. They doesn't sound significantly louder when I load a bank, just subtly different.
It would be kind of sad to bash a plugin/technology just because it was not used like it should be.

I really think the plugin did'nt work like it should be with you, so there might be a problem somewhere and I'm just trying to figure it out.
By the way, I fully agree that this thing is not the most user friendly plugin on the planet and is kind of hard to set up properly.
One more stupid question, did you updated the plugin to the last version ? (I remember the 1st versions were kind of buggy and I don't know which version they provide when you buy it)

No offense dude, but in your first post you said you were hearing "distortion / resonnant filter sound" and that's what happen when you hit the plugin too hard / around 0dB FS.
And some other things were strange in what you wrote, like CLC banks only sounding louder. They doesn't sound significantly louder when I load a bank, just subtly different.
It would be kind of sad to bash a plugin/technology just because it was not used like it should be.

I really thing the plugin did'nt work like it should be with you, so there might be a problem somewhere and I'm just trying to figure it out.
By the way, I fully agree that this thing is not the most user friendly plugin on the planet and is kind of hard to set up properly.
One more stupid question, did you updated the plugin to the last version ? (I remember the 1st versions were kind of buggy and I don't know which version they provide when you buy it)

+1

Maybe because at that point, I cranked the input gain to drive the channel harder, like you would with a tube preamp, compressor, guitar amp, or any other amplifier - it's a tonal option in the real world, and a capture of a console should allow for that, just like VCC and Sonimus do.

But with CLC, you just get garbage.

Don't assume that I am always leaving the signal that high though - I know how to gain stage, and I know when it can be abused to good effect.

OK, but if you're getting that noise when cranking the input, it's that your material is already too hot.

Some simple maths :
- the input gain knob allow only a +6dB boost.
- if you're getting that noise, it's that your original audio is already peaking beyond -6 dB FS, so you're already in the red zone of the desk.
- the CLC banks are made to work at unity at -18 dB RMS, and will start to distort beyond this value, just like a real desk in an A/N conversion scenario.

So leave your audio around - 18 dB FS peak (or maybe a bit louder for drums because of the quick transients, I'm usually around -12 dB FS peak), and then you'll have 18/12dB of headroom to drive the channel.

Mate; you're not teaching me anything. I get everything you're saying. But desks do not typically distort like resonant filters. Even when you drive the channels too hot on a desk, you get full frequency waveshaping (in my experience). Nebula does not do that. You get resonant peaks, akin to cranking the resonance on a subtractive moog ladder filter. There is something really odd about that to me. I'm talking like a full PIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG synthetic sound.

I suggest you go and compare overdriving the inputs and outputs of a real world console to overdriving nebula, and come to your own conclusion. Suffice to say, I wasn't happy with the result with Nebula, but I was happy with the result of VCC.

hehe ok :)
The thing is I think you can get good results with everything.
I'm also a VCC lover, but other people prefer other things. What the hell

Aye, and that is totally fine! I'm not telling anyone NOT to use Nebula. I'm an asshole, but not that much of an asshole!

My Kalthallen cabs are designed to be used with -18dbFs when you want to be in the middle of the cab dynamics. you can also feed it with -12db (more cranked cab) or lower (quieter driven cab).
Btw. I'm making a new library with the MEsa OS atm. It will slay :p

I also experienced some clipping issues after putting an instance of nebula on a non clipping track...and gain staging didnt help. but the reverbs are good!