My very first mix with Reaper

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

So here is my very first mix with Reaper. It's just version 1 (edit: actually now it's v3 and final one) so things may change (I'm thinking about a guitar part's volume) but comments are very welcome already.

Thanks for your time

Brett

EDIT: I uploaded two more songs for you to listen and comment (the album is finished and the mix won't be touched but it's very good to get feedback from people with different ears and tastes and listening environment...)

http://www.towerstudio.net/sneap/XXIV.mp3
http://www.towerstudio.net/sneap/GJR.mp3

Brett! Where ya been, dude?

Checking out mix#2. KILLER VOCALS! Great mix as always.

Honestly, I can't really find anything to complain about here. Great job, dude!

Cloudy it´s not the best word. But it lacks some presence, it needs more "in your face" kind of sound. The snare sounds a bit distant.

Cloudy it´s not the best word. But it lacks some presence, it needs more "in your face" kind of sound. The snare sounds a bit distant.
Ah ok I think I know what you mean. I'll see if I can improve anything although the band has already approved the mix, so it won't be much :)

Who's singing?!
Very unique mix, btw. I love it.
I recorded this band over a year ago and they realized their singer (one of the guitar player) was not good enough for the style, so they tried to find another one, which they really couldn't do, and so in the end the other guitar player is singing.

I like the mix, and the song is right up my street. Love the verses, quite busy, can imagine it was a pain in the ass to fit it all in.
P.S is that a xylophone or something?
In the intro or in the verses? The intro is a music box (keys).
Yeah the music is really good, a kind of mix between Lamb Of God, Soilwork and Gojira (although you couldn't really tell with this particular song which is more In Flames-y).

Had to look up for TWSS in Google but: LOL :loco:

Nice mix and song ! Can you tell more about drums, real or samples ?
And btw, this mix definitely makes we wanting to get Reaper instead of Cubase... :)

Sounds good Brett and nice to see you post some new stuff. My only real complaint would be that the mix is slightly squashed/overcompressed and I kinda agree on the snare remark.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edit:
So are you switching to Reaper and, if yes, why?

Edited link to 3rd and final version.
Drums are a mixture between samples and real (heavily edited I have to say).
Yes I'm switching to Reaper because I can't stand Cubase or Logic any longer, so Reaper was pretty much my only hope before the big step into ProTools HD. It's not perfect yet, but it has a shitload of very cool features! Plus it's very cheap...