My week in England - or - how I met Ian, James, and Lars

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
So, I'm back from England.

It was bitchin' from start to finish, a whirlwind tour! I'll try to keep this short:
Most important (and relevant to this forum) - Jethro Tull was fantastic. More than I hoped for really. Here is the setlist:

Life Is A Long Song, Skating Away..., Living In The Past, Slipstream, Up To Me, Griminelli's Lament, Aurora, Wond'ring Aloud, 'Moz Art' Medley, Cheap Day Return/Mother Goose, She Is Like The Swallow, Bourée - [Interval] - Nocturne/Bohemian Rhapsody, Kashmir (incl. Whole Lotta Love), Cross-Eyed Mary, Hymn 43, Misére, My God, Budapest, Aqualung, Wind-Up, Locomotive Breath, Protect And Survive, Cheerio

A female violinist guested for many of the songs, including the oddball stuff like Kashmir and Bohemian Raphsody. Those were instrumentals incidentally, centered around her pretty much. Ian Anderson was fantastic, just plain top notch - and let's face it, Jethro Tull is all about him really. The crowd was rather aged, I must say. The town we saw them in (Ipswich) was just a funny little English hick town, but great fun, and the hotel we stayed at was steeped in history. Dickens stayed there, and so did Admiral Nelson and a few Kings in their time. Anyway, the show was top notch. The next day on the way out of town via the train, who should i run into at the station but one Ian Anderson. He was very obviously in a hurry, because he couldn't find his platform or something, so I didn't bother him for a picture. I did thank him for the show though. "Ah thanks, cheers mate," was his answer. A real nice guy, and he really was just plain RUNNING to catch his train, so cool that he took the time out he did. I don't think anybody else recognized him, but there weren't alot of people in the station.

The rest of the trip was a dream come true, really. On the train between York, Cambridge, Ipswich, and London (we took a train somewhere every single day) I listened exclusively to English band on my iPod - Tull, Maiden, Zeppelin, Saxon...etc. The music all took on a whole other level there, and I really felt that I could feel what inspired it all (in its way) in the landscape. Very moving, and too much to put into words. I've more to say, but I'm still up after no sleep for MANY hours since I'm trying to get back on US schedule here. So for now, some pictures....

OH, last and weirdest of all. As we arrived home in San Francisco today....my wife and I zipped off the plane as we were sitting pretty close to the front. We got to the luggage carousel before everybody except one couple. I was all beat up from the flight....but it took me roughly 3 seconds to realize this couple was James Hetfield and his wife. SERIOUSLY!! I told my wife who he was, but decided not to bug them. I knew how I felt after such a long flight, and he was with his wife.....anyway....two seconds later a short little guy walked on the other side of me, and low and behold it was Lars Ulrich. Now, I know Lars likes being famous, so him I did say hi too. We talked for a minute about the Rick Rubin business, and he was very nice. I should note here that I'd met both of them (and the other members of Metallica) a year or so ago in a meet and greet but it was great fun standing there at the luggage carousel with my wife, Lars Ulrich, and James Hetfield and his wife for awhile. When James left he said to Lars, "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow at work..." Lars said, "I'm going there right now," and laughed (meaning Metallica "headquarters," I suppose, here in San Rafael). They all seemed nice and friendly with each other (James' wife talking to Lars and all I mean). A cool last little thrill to the end of a cool trip.

IMG_0809.jpg

This one is my ode to Steve Harris. That's the coach for Westham (his favorite team if you know your Maiden trivia). This was the first night in England, and finding a Westham game on the tv made me feel like I'd officially gotten there. I bought a Westham jersey in London.

IMG_0797.jpg

ElectricWiz at King's Cross station. You Harry Potter fans should recognize this platform. A funny, touristy thing they've done there, but cool anyway. The luggage rack is dissapearing into the wall, but that is hard to pick up in the picture.

IMG_0852.jpg

Me in front of the theatre where Tull played. The day after actually...I'm wearing the shirt I bought at the show here, but it is obscured. A cool shirt though.

...in fact here it is....there are tourdates on the back...
IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Me below a printer's devil in York. Long story as to the history of this little statue/emblem, but it's related to the printing trade and his "dirty little apprentice..." I'll spare you the rest....

I only showed that photo because, funnily, a minute later a priest walked up and got in the photo....note the collar...ha
IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

Wiz and Mrs. Wiz in the windy and rainy moors of Yorkshire....Noses red from the cold wind.

IMG_0924.jpg

I was listening to Black Sabbath on my iPod (title song from first album) when I snapped this from a bus window. A rainy day in the English country side. No better atmosphere to listen to a lot of old-school stuff. Sabbath was chilling in these surroundings!

...and here's another...
IMG_0966.jpg

....and another...
IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

...and the Westham shirt. Up the Irons.

So, I'd put more, but it'll get boring. A great freaking trip!

Thanks for the wonderful report mate! Damn that must have been nice. It seems that the links to your pictures don't work :(

And I would love to see them. Glad you had such a wonderful time. When I read your report I felt like visiting good ol' England myself again.

Cheers! ;)

Hawk said:
Thanks for the wonderful report mate! Damn that must have been nice. It seems that the links to your pictures don't work :(

And I would love to see them. Glad you had such a wonderful time. When I read your report I felt like visiting good ol' England myself again.

Cheers! ;)

Damn. Hmm. I'm doing the photo insert thing with the URL of the photos! I'll sort it out soon.

Sounds awesome!

I really enjoyed my time in England, as well, and can't wait to go back (once my 9-month old daughter's a little older).

Funny thing....when I was in England, I too, immersed myself in the English bands (which isn't hard to do as they're my favs, generally). Listening to "Somewhere in Time" whilst on British soil is a differenent experience!

Anyway, although I can't see the photos, my wife posed at King's Cross, as well! She loves the books, so it was a necessity.

Back to Tull: this past Saturday, I purchased the 25th Anniversary box set on EBAY (it should arrive this week). Anyway, there are four discs full of rare stuff (one disc in a 1970 show at Carnegie Hall; another features remixed versions of many of their classics; another disc contains various live tracks recorded throughout the years and the final disc is, if I remember correctly, 1993 re-recordings of some of the more obscure Tull tracks.
Anyway, I'll burn these for you after it arrives.

Rock on!

Thanks Soundmaster, I actually picked that boxset up just before I left! It's great. The last disc is just stuff you have. The first two have some stuff you don't though....live versions, lost tunes...etc.

Still working on this damned photos. I'll sneak some time at work today. I might be able to figure it out.

Sounds like a glorious trip Wiz. If you weren't so damned tired I'm sure you'd be soaring above cloud nine! Congrats on a trip that will hold memories for a lifetime.

If you can't get the photos to work, I'd be willing to upload them to my webspace for awhile. Just email them to me and I'll get them online.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Sounds like a glorious trip Wiz. If you weren't so damned tired I'm sure you'd be soaring above cloud nine! Congrats on a trip that will hold memories for a lifetime.

If you can't get the photos to work, I'd be willing to upload them to my webspace for awhile. Just email them to me and I'll get them online.

Yeah, PM your email address to me! I've tried a few things but nothing is working. Weird. I've posted pics before too. I can't tell if it's a UM thing or a Yahoo Photos thing that's the problem. Again, weird.

ElectricWiz said:
Yeah, PM your email address to me! I've tried a few things but nothing is working. Weird. I've posted pics before too. I can't tell if it's a UM thing or a Yahoo Photos thing that's the problem. Again, weird.

Well, looks like you done fixed the problem before I could get back online. Awesome phots Wiz, you and the wife really look the medieval part in that red noses picture! You probably blended right in during your visit. Except for the accent of course. :)

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Well, looks like you done fixed the problem before I could get back online. Awesome phots Wiz, you and the wife really look the medieval part in that red noses picture! You probably blended right in during your visit. Except for the accent of course. :)

Haha. Yeah, it's funny to have people tell you that you have the accent!

As to the photos, I was hosting through Yahoo but switched to Photobucket. That seemed to do the trick.

ElectricWiz said:
As to the photos, I was hosting through Yahoo but switched to Photobucket. That seemed to do the trick.
I figured that was the problem because your posted URLs immediately forwarded to a separate yahoo subdomain. Yahoo sucks. Avoid at all costs. I boycotted them years ago. I avoid them almost as much as I avoid about.com.

NP: Rage - Soundchaser

Haha. Yeah, you know I've always thought about.com sucked. And yet, if you do a google search on just about any subject, your first hit will be there.

Great pictures WiZ!! If you don't mind my saying; you look at lot like a 70s Ian Anderson yourself. In fact when I saw the first picture I thought it was him!

See?
Ian_Anderson_FullPic_JPG.jpg

Glad to see you also took some scenic pictures. They are great!

Hey Wiz! Great pics and cool story. My wife is in awe of you over the James and Lars sightings. Glad you had a good time. :kickass:

Hawk said:
Great pictures WiZ!! If you don't mind my saying; you look at lot like a 70s Ian Anderson yourself. In fact when I saw the first picture I thought it was him!

See?
Ian_Anderson_FullPic_JPG.jpg

Glad to see you also took some scenic pictures. They are great!

Yeah, I've noticed that too. We both have that slightly feral, slightly bug-eyed, hairy 70s guy look. I just grew the beard back after not having one for about 5 years. The gray was a surprise! Ah well. When I saw him in the train station I was really sorry I couldn't get a picture with him because it would have sort have looked like a before and after photo. :lol:

Wheezer said:
Hey Wiz! Great pics and cool story. My wife is in awe of you over the James and Lars sightings. Glad you had a good time. :kickass:

You know, it's funny. I didn't want to bother them for pictures or anything, they were just getting off a ten hour flight. But it was the second time I met them. Here are pictures (while we are on the subject) of the first time. Note the much cleaner looking ElectricWiz! I'd just cut my hair off after about 7 or 8 years.

Just like everyone else my faith in Metallica is more than a little shaken. Still, it was an absolute thrill to meet the guys behind Master of Puppets etc.
Metallica.jpg

Metallica2.jpg

ElectricWiz said:
Yeah, I've noticed that too. We both have that slightly feral, slightly bug-eyed, hairy 70s guy look. I just grew the beard back after not having one for about 5 years. The gray was a surprise! Ah well. When I saw him in the train station I was really sorry I couldn't get a picture with him because it would have sort have looked like a before and after photo. :lol:

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read that. :)
Great to see you had such a great time. Every time I was there I liked a lot also. I would not mind spending my pension days in England. Get ourselves a nice old cottage in the warmer south. I would love that.

I know I would love to hop to London and pick up some history books again.