My yearly rant concerning no East Coast show...

Ed,

I've been a member here for close to 6 years. I have asked almost every year since. I have boots from the 90s from Enchant in EUROPE. Now I don't have all the specifics, naturally, but, are you telling me that it costs LESS to play a date in EUROPE than your own country?

I'm not beligerent in my queries, nor am I being sarcastic. Just a fan who gets hosed living on the east coast.

Well, I'll ask you straight out, and I'm sorry if this is incorrectly seen as being TOO personal: How much would it cost?

BTW, I'll never ask again. Cause I've supported the band for close to 10 years, through CDs, DVDs, swag, and spreading the word around RI, MA, and CT.....

Take care....

While we wait for Ed's reply, I just want to say that it's great that Enchant has such enthusiastic fans such as yourself, and I know they appreciate it!

I have heard stories of "bands you have definitely heard of" doing pretty seemingly decently sized shows/tours -- yet when all the math is done, the result is a five figure dollar loss.

Honestly, you should come out to California next time Enchant plays. Yes, it's pricey, but the experience is one you'll treasure. Start saving now.

Hey just do the Math for one person to travel and then multiply by six! Sound man as well. Then factor in Lodging food etc! Its a no brainer! Even big bands are losing money now! Touring is VERY expensive!

We would love to get back east! Me more than anyone I have people there. We have answered this inquiry over and over!

Festivals are easier but the bottom line is sales!

While we wait for Ed's reply, I just want to say that it's great that Enchant has such enthusiastic fans such as yourself, and I know they appreciate it!

I have heard stories of "bands you have definitely heard of" doing pretty seemingly decently sized shows/tours -- yet when all the math is done, the result is a five figure dollar loss.

Honestly, you should come out to California next time Enchant plays. Yes, it's pricey, but the experience is one you'll treasure. Start saving now.

If I ever win a multimillion dollar lottery (or just get rich somehow) I plan on sponsoring (i.e. paying for) a concert of my favorite bands that can't really afford to tour. Enchant is one of those band.

If all expenses were paid, I imagine it would be good incentive for a show. I would think that a few hundred thousand, or more, could pay for at least a couple of bands. Myself, I'm not worried about profit, but the band members would be able to go home with several thousand dollars (each) free and clear. Assuming I really did have the money, I would even pay for the families of the band members.

I know it's a stupid pipe dream, but it's something I would really want to do. And I honestly think it would be worth every penny.

Now on a whimsical note (yes the above is not whimsical), when I'm a billionare, I'm buying, or starting, a friggin radio station to play some actual music.

Hey, it could be worse. You could be in Texas, where there's basically no hope of them ever coming here. At least you're in a place where you can see Dream Theater like ten times in two years.

Oh, and Frank, if you want to hear more great music on the radio, you could spring for Sirius Satellite. If you can't find anything you like on all the awesome stations they have, then you really gotta open your mind a bit.

I don't know if there are "prog stations" specifically, but there's a lot of great variety. A lot of metal and rock that you don't normally hear in the mainstream, plus no censorship and no commercials. I just get sick of people complaining about there being "nothing on the radio". With all the options you have these days (satellite, HD, internet broadcasts, college radio, etc), there's really no excuse for not being able to find something you enjoy.

Oh and obviously there is a lot more to music than prog. Maybe that's shocking for you to hear, but it's true. :p

Satellite radio is like cable tv, a paid subscription service. A few of my friends subscribe to it and really like it. I just can't see paying a monthly fee for it, in addition to the equipment (which is sometimes "free").

Radio still sucks.

Radio still sucks, whether it's web radio or real radio. I just had the last example : Deezer.com which seems to be among the most webradios known, doesn't play enchant. What would we do without CD stores ? …*

See? I told you you can find anything. See what happens when you spend more time bitching than exploring?

Oh, and I love how you haven't denied being narrow-minded even the slightest bit. Yeah, great job of representing this band's fanbase. I'm sure they're very proud... :rolleyes:

This is my final reply on this subject...

I was raised on college radio back in the 70's, I am aware of their impact on the music scene.

My record collection includes stuff like Yanni all the way to stuff like Rage Against the Machine. I have hundreds of albums (vinyl) and twice as many CDs. My main interest tends to drift toward the "prog" stuff, not on purpose, it just ends up that way. Indeed I am narrow minded in that I only like what I like, but am open to suggestions within reason.

My point about radio is that, once upon a time, you could find a radio station that played good, non-mainstream music, pretty much wherever you were. And even the mainstream stations still played a large variety of music. The great stations played the music right off of the album.

Today, the vast majority of the stations play only the material approved by their corporate program directors...when they play music. Most stations have some type of morning and afternoon talk show. Occasionally, I'll hear a good song, or a new band, but most of the time, it's the same bands, same songs, even if it is new stuff. Over the years, I've had the pleasure of listening to WVUD (Dayton - 70's), WNOR (Norfolk -80's) and WMMS (80's to present - currently a Clear Channel clone). The DJ's at each of those stations would bring in their own albums to mix in with the station programming. I became a fan of a ton of new bands. To their credit, a "new" station in the Cleveland area, 92.3 (K-Rock), plays a huge variety of alternative rock. It's a great station, but atypical.

A satellite radio subscription is a good alternative, but one I'm not currently willing to pay for. In fact, a vast majority of people aren't willing to pay for it. Internet radio is great, I listen to it all of the time.

But when I hop in my vehicle and drive around, and turn on MY radio.....it sucks. I find myself happily listening to my CDs more than the radio.

I'm out....

Well, that's fair enough. Before, you just made sweeping blanket statements that really didn't make you sound good. I just get tired of these people that obviously make no effort to give a fair chance to anything, and then sit around and complain like it's everyone's fault but theirs if they hate everything. That was the impression that I got from you before. You just gotta think twice every now and then about how you come off when you word something. I know most people here probably know you or whatever, but remember not all of us do. So yeah, sorry if I was a bit harsh, but you gave the impression of an attitude that I really have little patience for.

Also, while you do have a point about corporate radio stations (it is true that Clear Channel are evil demons from Hell), I still maintain that there's a lot of great stuff out there, even just in the mainstream. Maybe that's not true of where you live, but for instance here, they have a great rock station that has an all-request metal show every friday night, which plays a lot of great underground metal bands, a four-hour indie rock show every sunday night that plays a lot of fantastic cutting-edge bands, many of which aren't even signed to a label. And, they have a cool "flashback lunch" every day where they take requests and play a lot of cool 80's and early 90's stuff, and there's a DJ that plays a song of his choosing at 3:00 every day, and it's usually something really cool and eclectic that you don't often hear on the radio. And no, you don't hear anything from the oh-so-hallowed Inside Out catalog, but that's definitely a lot of cool variety.

Oh, and one more thing: not to attack your tastes or anything, but don't you find that a lot of modern prog bands are pretty much just the same old same old? I mean, I don't really hear a lot of innovation in the modern prog scene. There's stuff like Pain of Salvation and the Flower Kings, who are cool and creative, and of course Enchant have great melodies and songwriting, but I mean a lot of these newer prog bands to me sound just as formulaic as a lot of the things you hear on the radio. Just my personal opinion, of course.

We have a Clear Channel classic rock radio station in my town. The really sad thing is that even when they do have "all request" shows, the listeners call up and request the same old crap anyway. Maybe the corporate gurus really do know what the (majority) people want. Fortunately there are a couple of other, non-corporate stations that play more variety. And, of course, there's always CDs. :)

I've been thinking. I won't ask this question again.

Where it USED to be important to me, it has now since become unimportant...

Like I said, I have boots of Enchant in EUROPE. 'Nuff said.