MYSTIC PROPHECY & SUSPYRE CONFIRMED FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007

Which one do you have, Bob ? I think Savage Souls, and Regressus are top line power metal discs. The other two, Vengeance & Never Ending, are good.

As far as power metal goes I would put these guys in the Brainstorm, Nocturnal Rites class .. but they have received a little less exposure to date than those bands have. Perhaps this USA debut can help them get their name out there a little more.

Britt

I have Regressus. I will have to spin it again to see if it was just a bad time when I listened to it. My mood effects if I like things....I have gone back and listened to disc I hated and loved months later. I have seen a few vids also and they just dont click for me. I will give it another try.

I own all the Mystic Prophecy albums, but I just dont feel like they are even co-headliner status. As much as I would like to see MP and SA easily the two bands I want to see the most Powerfest still hasnt confirmed me to be in attendance. I wonder why there all these delays etc in the festival announcements Powerfest, Madfest, and BARfest. Jeez.

I own all the Mystic Prophecy albums, but I just dont feel like they are even co-headliner status. As much as I would like to see MP and SA easily the two bands I want to see the most Powerfest still hasnt confirmed me to be in attendance. I wonder why there all these delays etc in the festival announcements Powerfest, Madfest, and BARfest. Jeez.
You really can't compare this fest to something like Prog Power .. the budget, attendance, etc. just isn't near as high. Mystic Prophecy might be a #2, or #3 band at PP, but a #4 band at Powerfest. They are comparable to last years co-headline types like Eldritch, and Biomechanical.

You have to keep in mind too that Powerfest will cost about 1/3 of that Prog Power will cost. Tickets will probably be somewhere around 50 bucks for the two nights, as compared to $150 for Prog Power. Hotels at Prog Power are over $150 a night .. it will be $70 bucks at Powerfest.

Britt

Reactions: Heavenly Call
You really can't compare this fest to something like Prog Power .. the budget, attendance, etc. just isn't near as high. Mystic Prophecy might be a #2, or #3 band at PP, but a #4 band at Powerfest. They are comparable to last years co-headline types like Eldritch, and Biomechanical.

You have to keep in mind too that Powerfest will cost about 1/3 of that Prog Power will cost. Tickets will probably be somewhere around 50 bucks for the two nights, as compared to $150 for Prog Power. Hotels at Prog Power are over $150 a night .. it will be $70 bucks at Powerfest.

Britt

Great post! I completely agree.

Britt

That is true Britt, but I LOVE Biomechanical, so I was way more excited for last years.

Can't say that I had heard of either of these two bands prior to yesterday's announcement. In fact, at first I thought one of the bands confirmed was Susperia. I almost shat my pants. (I didn't see the whole thread name initially.) I did go to myspace immediately and look them up. I'm interested in Mystic Prophecy. They had a good sound goin' on IMO. What I love about this fest is the range in metal genres. Though some have complained about it initially being a doom themed fest, that really wasn't/isn't the case. I think there's enough to keep interest for most people and the fact that it isn't as huge as some other fests makes it that much more tolerable to maybe only have to listen to a couple bands that you aren't fond of as opposed to 20.

Mystic Prophecy is a very solid pick. As someone else said, they are Power Metal, but they don't fit into the same EuroCheese profile as so (too) many bands from Europe nowadays do. Nice and riff-heavy. I have "Regressus" and it is a good listen.

Suspyre I'm not familiar with but I'll give them a chance.

And even not being familiar with about 4-5 bands on this bill, I'm thinking that it is definitely leaning on the good side of things. Very Metal sounding. And by METAL sounding, I don't mean -' Hey, lets throw some horns in the air while there is a Metal keyboard solo going! Metal!!':erk: :puke:

Good job guys!

Mystic Prophecy is going to be excellent. They have been cranking out albums left and right. They have put out 4 albums since 2001. I like them all. Their 2003 offering... Regressus is my personal favorite. Lia and Martin (singer and bass player) also released 3 albums with the band Valley's Eve. (1998,1999, & 2002) The 2002 release Deception of Pain is incredible. They sound identical to Mystic Prophecy.

I am shocked that I get to see one of my favorite German PM bands a mere 2.5 hours away from my home.

Good 'ol Nostradameus state in the first line of the song The Untouchables.... "We know we're not original, but God... we're having fun". Mystic Prophecy also follow this modo.

If you like Primal Fear, you will like Mystic Prophecy. Lia is a bit more melodic and less squeaky than Ralf Sheepers... (in my opinion).

I am also really looking forward to Suspyre... I wish they were in the 2nd or 3rd slot. But at least we will get 6 great songs out of them.

I'll see you guys/gals at the Friday night show.