Mystica Solitudinis

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
/bandpics/mystica.jpg​

Mystica Solitudinis hail from Hannover, Germany, are unsigned, yet have self-released two stunning EPs to date - the 5-track Exit? in 1999, and Coma, a 6-track slab of solid heavy rock/metal, in 2000. Ultimate Metal spoke with guitarist Andre Bromberger about the Hannover scene, MS's plans for the future, and more.

Ultimate Metal: Mystica Solitudinis was formed in 1997 - how different is the current line-up to what it was in then (if at all)?

Andre Bromberger: Our old bass player and lead guitarist left the band. But we found substitute very fast. Mystica Solitudinis now is Martin (v), Dennis (g), Patrick (dr),Trabbi (b), Matthias (keys) and me (g). That's the best line-up we could get, cause we're also the best mates I could imagine.

UM: What is the scene like in Hannover? Has it changed in the last four years?

AB: The scene in Hannover and in Germany is the same: many small bands who want to get famous. A lot of them I know are rip offs and one-hit wonders. Only some of them are pretty good I think. Our market is overflowed with music.

UM: Where does Mystica Solitudinis stand in the Hannover scene? Do you think you're considered one of the 'many small bands', or do you manage to stand apart from that a little?

AB: I think we are one of these smaller bands.

UM: What other bands on the local scene stand out for you? Is there a good vibe amongst bands there, or purely competitive?

AB: What can I say... it's good but it depends on the music style. We contact bands like Cosmic Tribe (www.cosmictribe.de) or Duff Blimp cause they are good mates and musicians.

UM: What kind of following do you have at the moment? You're currently unsigned, but do you get a good number of people to your shows?

AB: Our following is growing because of word-of-mouth or radio promotion (BFBS worldwide rockshow for example). It's a good feeling to have fans who've supported you from the early beginning and to have new Mystica maniacs because they invest money, time and emotions for the band. That makes us proud and is also a motivation to keep on rocking.

UM: Have you played any shows outside of Germany?

AB: No. We had an offer to play on an AIDS-tribute festival in Russia but some of us were busy at the time.

UM: Do you play live often?

/bandpics/mystica2.jpg​

AB: In 3 1/2 years of MS we've played just 20 gigs. But we're always hungry to play live. It's interesting to look in the eyes of the crowd when they sing your songs.

UM: What position was the band in when you went in to record Exit? ? Did you have a large following, or was it just a case of wanting to get your material down on CD?

AB: We had a small following at this time. To record Exit? in a real studio with a real producer was interesting and a experience for us. We wanted to have some songs on CD for ourselves.

UM: How did having your music on disc help the band after Exit? was released?

AB: We made money… no I'm joking. We sold all 500 copies of Exit?. The CD helped us to get airplay, reviews in rock hard and metal hammer and to start the contact with many record labels and other bands.

UM: How did you go about selling your CD? Did you primarily sell it at gigs, or did you have some other way of getting it out to the people?

AB: We sold them at gigs and in some record stores around here. Most of them have been sold because of mouth propaganda.

UM: How soon after Exit? was Coma released? Was there a demand from fans for a follow-up, or did you just have more material you wanted to show people?

AB: Coma was released 1 year after Exit?. There was demand from people. But the only reason why we recorded again was that we had a lot of new songs. We wanted to have them on cd again. And we will record a new CD this summer.

UM: Do you think, if a record deal isn't on the horizon for Mystica, that you'll keep releasing CDs on your own? Or is that something you can't see happening forever?

AB: We'll record a new CD in June and release it on our own again. If someone is interested in releasing our CDs we would be interested as well, because we would like to concentrate on the music.

UM: What's one event in the band's past that you're happiest with, and what one do you just want to forget?

AB: The best was the starting of Mystica Solitudinis at the end of 1997, and the release of both CDs. Also, the first gig in 1998 where we played in a sold-out hall. I don't want to forget anything bad because the band is my life and we're sharing so many wonderful memories until now.

UM: You're hunting for an album deal at the moment - how is that going?

AB: Slowly. It's unsatisfying if you see what kind of bands get deals and have the possibility to get famous. Every band can have success but we deserve it most, haha...we work very hard on our music and live performance. Many record labels are very ignorant and superficial.

UM: What advice would you give bands starting out, or who're thinking of self-releasing their own CD?

AB: Listen to the Doors, Opeth, Anathema and In Flames and create your own style... and never give up making your own thing. Playing in a band is fantastic.

UM: Finally, apart from recording your next CD, what is in store for Mystica Solitudinis for the future?

AB: Staying an honest and hungry band with different music and poems.

Sadly I have to report that MS have since broken up :( Which is a fucking shame, since they were possibly the best unsigned band I've ever had the pleasure to hear!