Mythology and Nature

Cythraul

Dec 10, 2003
Post your favorite metal albums that feature lyrics dealing with mythology and/or nature and discuss why you like them. There seems to be a fascination for mythology and nature among certain sub-genres of metal, more so than many other types of music. The way I see it, paganism and naturalism are intrinsically connected, i.e. many gods representing archetypes of the various processes and features of the natural world. Why does this fascination exist within metal?

anyway, my favorites:

Ulver- Bergtatt
Ulver- Nattens Madrigal, an excellent lyrical portrayal of the mythical wolf character representing the dark side of man's natural instincts.
Absu- Tara, these guys write excellently crafted odes to Celtic myth and magick.

Drudkh are into that whole nature thing and I like them for it. Good guys, good times, what could be better? I agree.

Nile and Iron Maiden. There must be tons, but I can't think of them just now. Any Satanic metal band is basically singing about the mythology of Christ, so does that count?
Of course, I have to say Jethro Tull even though they aren't a metal band, they sing about "Jack In The Green", "Songs From The Wood", "The Kelpie", "Dun Ringill" - fucking hell man Ian Anderson likes has nature and mythology!

Cythraul said:
Ulver- Bergtatt
Ulver- Nattens Madrigal, an excellent lyrical portrayal of the mythical wolf character representing the dark side of man's natural instincts.
These were the first two that popped into my mind when I saw the topic. I listened to both in a row the other night, and they are simply breathtaking. I could try to describe the feeling but a) it wouldn't do them justice and b) you probably know already

I'd like to add Borknagar's first lp and The Archaic Course as fine choices. I also just wanted to bump my thread up a few notches.

Cythraul said:
Post your favorite metal albums that feature lyrics dealing with mythology and/or nature and discuss why you like them. There seems to be a fascination for mythology and nature among certain sub-genres of metal, more so than many other types of music. The way I see it, paganism and naturalism are intrinsically connected, i.e. many gods representing archetypes of the various processes and features of the natural world. Why does this fascination exist within metal?
As far as the connection between naturalism and paganism goes I see it like this. Basically Paganism in the traditional sense is the personification of various natural events into supernatural beings. Naturalism is the philosophy that all things can be explained through nature. Both of these philosophys are acting in the same way. In paganism something like fire is personifed through a god. Basically naturalism is doing the same thing on a less metaphorical level. "I don't understand how a fire occurs, but I believe it can be expalined through nature".

I think nature has such a strong appeal in metal for several reasons. For one Judaism rejects the concept that nature has the answers and rejects that huamans are a part of nature. When one rejects the fallacy of this philosophy it seems logical to look and see if nature perhaps does have the answers, as well as trying to see oneself as a part of nature. Another reason is that metal tends to be either extremely spiritual and/or primal. Both feelings are experienced in abundence within nature.

Best Pagan/Nature based albums:
Agalloch- Pale Folklore
Agalloch- The Mantle (The best there is...)
Burzum- Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Drudkh- Autumn Aurora
Empyrium- Songs of the Moors and Misty Fields
In the Woods-Heart of the Ages
Ulver- Bergtatt
Ulver- Nattens Madrigal
Wyrd-Heathen

Im sure I'm forgetting a lot more

I don't own it myself, but Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines (and their other 2 full-lenghts, I imagine)

I just reckon the way they write about all things Egypt is awsome. And also, I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that they're pretty much the only metal band to do so?

As far as I know you're right. But if you think it's so awesome, why the fuck haven't you bought them? :guh:
And could you change your sig to say "Stormwatch is a raging gay" as I've changed my name.

@ crimsonfloyd- Excellent reply. I agree with everything you said there. Paganism can be seen as a spiritualization of naturalistic values so if you're a pagan then the very ground you walk on is your god. Not only does monotheism take man out of nature, as you said, but it also takes him out of himself in a sense. Monotheism places the meaning of one's existence in a metaphysical beyond and deprives the physical world of it's value (or is that dualism?)

Cythraul said:
@ crimsonfloyd- Excellent reply. I agree with everything you said there. Paganism can be seen as a spiritualization of naturalistic values so if you're a pagan then the very ground you walk on is your god. Not only does monotheism take man out of nature, as you said, but it also takes him out of himself in a sense. Monotheism places the meaning of one's existence in a metaphysical beyond and deprives the physical world of it's value (or is that dualism?)
Yup. When monotheism takes us out of nature, especially in the mental comprehension of the self, it does take away from our sense of self, after all we ARE a part of nature. In the Bible nature is evil. For following our nature we recieve punishment, which is to live in the world in its current state. This world is seen as our punishment. If this life is nothing more then a punishment why not just live for the next? Hence we deny our desires, deny our logic, deny everything that makes us animal, primate and human for the sake of of a better existence to come. When you see the world as punishment there is no reason to respect it, and no reason to follow the desires that raise from within it. However I don't think the concept of metaphysics as a whole is against nature. Looking at metaphysics from a naturalist persepctive it is simply that which our current understanding of nature cannot grasp, just like there was a time we could not grasp the concept behind fire.

Lykathea aflame - Elvenefris has a nature theme to it, both in the feel of the music and the lyrics themselves

crimsonfloyd said:
Yup. When monotheism takes us out of nature, especially in the mental comprehension of the self, it does take away from our sense of self, after all we ARE a part of nature. In the Bible nature is evil. For following our nature we recieve punishment, which is to live in the world in its current state. This world is seen as our punishment. If this life is nothing more then a punishment why not just live for the next? Hence we deny our desires, deny our logic, deny everything that makes us animal, primate and human for the sake of of a better existence to come. When you see the world as punishment there is no reason to respect it, and no reason to follow the desires that raise from within it. However I don't think the concept of metaphysics as a whole is against nature. Looking at metaphysics from a naturalist persepctive it is simply that which our current understanding of nature cannot grasp, just like there was a time we could not grasp the concept behind fire.
Thanks for this post, it is quite insightful indeed.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I agree.

And yeah, I like Lykathea Aflame even though I didn't think I would.

Its an album thats hard to dislike. I've played it non-metal loving friends and even they appreciate its beauty, although the br00tal parts shook them up a little though :)

Guardian of Darkness said:
I agree.

And yeah, I like Lykathea Aflame even though I didn't think I would.

They're not a generic brutal slam-death band. :p

I don't think you thought you'd enjoy Silencer either.

@crimsonfloyd: nice.