n00b Recording Setup

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
I am pretty new to recording... that being said, I would like to get some feedback (and i'm sure other n00bs would appreciate too) on equipment needed to get started. I'm working with about a 1k budget to get started. So far I have the following for recording:

SM57 Mic
1.2 GHZ PC - Running Windows XP (not mac :Smug: - not yet at least)

I had an TASCAM Analog 4-track for a few years--just recently destroyed :headbang:

Is there anything in particular I should get to get started? I was thinking about buying the DELUXE edition of the mBox (breakout box) package. I believe it comes with CuBase software. Thanks!

Here's where it kind of all starts... Before we all start spewing about budget gear, what are you gonna record?

If you need to cover a lot of ground (live drums, guitar, bass, synth, vocals), you'll have to spread your rescources more than if you were just going to focus on say... guitar and programmed drums.

black sugar said:
Here's where it kind of all starts... Before we all start spewing about budget gear, what are you gonna record?

If you need to cover a lot of ground (live drums, guitar, bass, synth, vocals), you'll have to spread your rescources more than if you were just going to focus on say... guitar and programmed drums.

Well, I am going to be Micing my cab. I'm probably going to extend my budget just a little to get a PodXT Live for the guitars. I'm not recording vocals at this point. I have a Drum Machine that has a direct digital/midi out. In short, I am going to be layering guitars on top of guitars. I just want a basic setup to get started recording Drums, Bass, Guitar... and then once I get a vocalist, to add vocals.

I would go for an M-Audio Interface.
If your budget is very low take a Delta 44, 66 or even a Delta 1010lt are very good!

www.m-audio.com

And if you don't have already, get more RAM at least 512 (the more the better)
And maybe you will want to upgrade to another Processor 1,2G is very Low End, nowdays.

Just my 2 Cent...

Rock on

Here's how I would go for a two channel setup. That's all you really need right now. Learn how to use it and save up for an 8-channel setup in the meantime until you're ready to record drums.

Everything with a * is something I own or have owned and can vouch for. Good bang for the buck stuff.

* Soundcraft Compact4 Mixer $100 -- I can't say enough good things about this mixer. For a n00b recording on a computer it absolutely can't be beat. Just reading the manual will teach you a lot about signal routing right off the bat.

* M-Audio Audiophile 2496 $100

Monitoring -- don't skimp here. All things being equal, I would argue that this is probably the most important part of the chain.

(Some might say a $300 pair of monitors IS skimping, but not when your total budget is $1000!)

* M-Audio Studiophile BX8
Behringer Truth B2031A

It should take you a while to outgrow either of those.

Cubase SE $100

Monitor stands/pads, acoustic treatment $100-$200. Don't underestimate this.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones $100

Buy some decent cables. Proco or something. Maybe Hosa. Don't worry about Mogami yet and don't buy the Monster hype. Those wouldn't even matter until you upgrade across the board anyway.

That should get you started and, if you can pick up some of that stuff used, maybe leave you some money left over to upgrade your pc. If you really get the recording bug, you're gonna want to do that real quick. You'll probably also want an LCD monitor. If you don't have one, you'll find out why when you record a guitar sitting in front of a CRT monitor.

Hope this helps! I did a lot of research on all of this stuff before I bought, but don't just take my word for it. Do some searches online and read up!

Thanks. I've gotten a LOT a feedback from others as well, but mostly dealing with MAC. From what it sounds like, i'll need to upgrade to a faster processor and some more RAM. I will also look into the feedback you gave as well. Thanks!