NAD!!! - 6505+ content - picture, recording and video

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

I decided that because I was never using my TSL100 head anymore (Recto is too good) I'd trade it in and use my 21st birthday money to get myself a 6505+, and I have to say, it's awesome. You all know what this head is about, so I won't give you an epic description.

v6jhah.jpg

The recording is literally the first time I ever recorded the amp, so it sounds like there is a lot missing. I used the pre-amp out and Recabinet 2.0 modern impulses, and I think there is a good base for qhat could be a very solid tone. I just finished uni for the semester however, so expect some miced up tones in the next few days!

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/1044020/6505+ test impulses.mp3

I just put this video together quickly, so a lot of it is sloppy but o well! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've only had the 6505+ for about a week, and the recto for well over half a year, so I can't make a full judgment.

I will say this though...I didn't buy it hoping it'd be better than the Recto. I bought it because it'd be another brutal metal machine, but different enough to the recto to justify owning both. I think after owning both amps for about a year my idea will still be "one isn't better than the other...they are both absolutely amazing and I love them to death."

Having said that, the recto is by far much more versatile, with the different modes per channel and 3 channels instead of two, but I honestly don't need much versatility anyway so it's all good.

I love them both! :)

Not yet. This is the first time I recorded it as I said, but one of the main reasons I got this was because I know 6505's and Rectos go together very well.

I can't wait to have the time and convenience to mic this up next week. I may have finished uni for the semester but all my mates in my house still have exams and are studying, so I wasn't too loud for the video or the impulse recording, which is why the tone sounds a bit flat I think. there is no master volume on this, so to get the pre-amp loud the poweramp has to be loud too, if that makes sense?

heres a tip, since the preamp level is determined by the output volume, you do have to crank it, you can either do one of two things, you can get a hotplate or similar device to load the amp and silence it

OR

you can stick a dummy cable(just get any guitar cable and tape off the end that is not plugged, dont want any accidental contact at the volume you going for) in the fx return and it almost silences it, with the volume around 2-3, you can expect a quiet muffled sound, i used to just stick a blanket over the cab if the cab is right next to me, or i just stick in the closet, the quiet sound that does come out can interfere will your monitoring the signal. but remember a cab is still always connected.

i just recently got a dual recto and it added to my current 5150 II, i love them both, i cant wait to blend them.

Man, I was wondering if there was some way I could silently record with impulses.

So what you're basically saying is I get a guitar lead, plug one end into the 'FX return', and then cover the other end with lots of sticky tape or something, and that'll muffle it a lot?

I hope I'm getting this right, because I don't want to do something wrong that'll hurt my new baby. :D

Yeah dude, as long as you have a cab connected still, that should mute it substantially! (and use electrical tape ;))

No worries.

I haven't got a chance to try right now, but is this one of the amps that works with direct recording if I have it turned on but the standby not on?

Really? Is it some kind of custom one?

My mate has a custom mesa cab that he bought used with Celestion MC90 Black Shadow speakers in it, and it's quite small too.

Really? Is it some kind of custom one?

My mate has a custom mesa cab that he bought used with Celestion MC90 Black Shadow speakers in it, and it's quite small too.

Yeah mines got MC90's in it too....some custom ey? hmmm interesting...

Well width wise its litrally the same width end to end as your peavey head/dual rec. The width of the head is the same as the cab.

Sounds what matters but you look at it and think..."That looks weedy!" :lol:

Then it blows your face off with 360w :)

Wow, I wonder if the ones with the Black Shadows really are even smaller than the already small Stiletto Traditional that you have Dylan! (my old silver one looked to be exactly the same size as yours) James, perhaps it's an optical illusion cuz it's a slant (mine looked bigger in pics than it really was), can you take dimensions? (just for my curiosity :D)

Wow, I wonder if the ones with the Black Shadows really are even smaller than the already small Stiletto Traditional that you have Dylan! (my old silver one looked to be exactly the same size as yours) James, perhaps it's an optical illusion cuz it's a slant (mine looked bigger in pics than it really was), can you take dimensions? (just for my curiosity :D)

I thought it might be but a 6505 is the same width as my recto head and the cab is perfectly in line with the recto head. Look at Dylan's 6505, the cab overhangs on both sides, mine dosent :loco:

Pic when I first got it (Yes casters aren't on this pic but check the width)

CIMG1403-1.jpg

I thought it might be but a 6505 is the same width as my recto head and the cab is perfectly in line with the recto head. Look at Dylan's 6505, the cab overhangs on both sides, mine dosent :loco:

Pic when I first got it (Yes casters aren't on this pic but check the width)

CIMG1403-1.jpg

Is yours a semi-open back?

Because we probably have the same cab, only mine in this custom finish.

P1010179.jpg

I'm the friend Dylan was talking about. :oops:

Haha yup! Same cab! Im gonna close the top section of mine off soon, have you done that?

And while im speaking to another MC90 + Recto user, what settings do you find work best with these speakers? And I hear you really have to crank them to get the most out of them :) *I haven't yet*

Haha yup! Same cab! Im gonna close the top section of mine off soon, have you done that?

And while im speaking to another MC90 + Recto user, what settings do you find work best with these speakers? And I hear you really have to crank them to get the most out of them :) *I haven't yet*

I haven't yet, I have no idea how to go about doing it so that I can undo it easily if I don't like it. I'm thinking cut a wood template and run felt around the edge so it can slide in and out at will, which seems a simple enough task except that I'm really shitty at woodworking. :lol:

I've only had my recto for a couple of days but it took literally minutes to dial in a badass tone the afternoon that I got it. Even my neighbours couldn't resist the win, one of them pulled up out the front and yelled "Go on turn it up".

As far as settings, the MC90's are awesome for keeping high end under control, so if you need more cut don't be shy of the presence knob. Beyond that everything else is set fairly par for the recto course, bass is down at about 8:00 or 9:00 mids are at midnight on the lead channel and 11 on the rhythm. Treble is at 1:00 for both channels, and gain at midnight. I will probably fiddle with this some more as time goes on and more stuff comes into the picture (though I'm only looking at an MXR GT-OD and a DD3 at this point), it is worth noting that the 2 channel and 3 channels sound different from each other so just find what works best for you at screeching, face punishing volumes and you'll be sweet.

:)