Name for a Studio?

Damian B

¯\(°_o)/¯
Nov 8, 2007
NC, USA
I finally have the proper equipment to start doing some real, quality recordings. I won't be able to start recording full time until the summer, but I wanted to go ahead and get a nice looking myspace/website up now.

Anyways, I need a name..

I'm throwing around: Sonitus Studios
Sonitus is "sound" in Latin; pretty simple, but it doesn't seem to be taken by anyone else.

Any other suggestions or input?

:kickass:

Sonitus sounds pretty cool. Honestly, I don't think it really matters. People aren't going to go choose a studio for the name. At least I hope not! haha

Cacofonix Studios:heh:

Cacofonix.JPG

Sonitus manufactures plugins dude - that name is taken and has been trademarked already.

Are you going to record all genres, or stick to metal? A "metal" studio name might discourage people if they're not metal artists.

I would probably keep it simple, wth something like "Studio D" (D for Damian, which incidently is also my sons name! :)).

Good point, I didn't think about it being trademarket. An no, I'm completely open to recording any genre.

What about "Transcendent Studios"

Idk... :erk:

Let me flip this over on you. Do you have an honest recording space or just some gear in your bedroom? If it's the latter why not just bill yourself as a freelance engineer and buy damianyourlastname.com?

Let me flip this over on you. Do you have an honest recording space or just some gear in your bedroom? If it's the latter why not just bill yourself as a freelance engineer and buy damianyourlastname.com?

I have a recording space, and the ability to record drums, guitar and vocals. I'm not trying to pass off as a professional audio engineer (on second thought, "Transcendent Studios" does come across that way), but I'm not a complete and total noob either. My goal, for this summer at least, is to record 4 or 5 bands, maybe one song each to practice my tracking and mixing skills, and hopefully make enough money to justify purchasing additional gear.

I've tried to get multiple internships at larger studios, but in these economic times they are either shutting down or not looking for interns. I've essentially determined that I'm going to have to do it myself to gain any experience in this field.

Basically, I like the idea of having a name for my "studio." I don't want the image of another bedroom warrior (even though I may technically still fall in the category), and so I'm going to do my very best to create a good image for myself.

Hope that makes sense.

despite your reply to this, l agree with Egan... and here's some additional thoughts.

you are saying here that you are still learning to engineer/mix/etc., and need practice.... in light of this, if you still intend to actually market and monetize your "services" (yeah, i put "services" in quotes, because you're really practicing, not providing a confident service), you need to be careful how you describe what you are offering.

with that in mind, you might consider offering your services as a producer, rather than a studio... this is pretty much implicit in what Egan was suggesting, but i'm making the delineation between "studio" and "producer" explicit.

in marketing yourself as a producer, you are neither making any warranties about your qualifications/skill as a recording engineer, nor making any specific claims about the quality of your studio space..... now those are just bonuses that come along with your production services, because a producer need not be a great engineer, nor have a nice studio.

what a producer does require however, is knowledge, understanding, and expertise with music in general, and an ability to work comfortably with musicians. if you have these, then you can work as a producer on some level. if you don't, you might make learning/cultivating them a priority waaay over and above starting a studio, or start considering an alternate career path.

to be honest, i'm really tired of all the new bedroom/garage/basement "studios" that pop up every single day, and turn out to be nothing more than some gear bought at Guitar Center/Sam Ash/etc. for under $5K-$10K or so and stuffed into some part of a house with some Auralex glued to the walls, with fancy myspace pages and graphics, that have been started by beginners. but, this type of thing is becoming the new paradigm whether i like it or not, and the strong will survive.

anyway, it's a free country/world, and more power to you, and far be it from me to try to piss on anyone's dreams... i started in a similar way, years ago. i did do the internships and assistant positions at larger studios for years, but i do understand that these positions are fewer and farther between these days.

the key thing to get here is that having a fancy site and logo and studio name, and publishing a rate card, etc., before you yourself are even confident enough to describe your work as anything more than practice... well, you run the strong risk of damaging your name and business before you even get off the ground.

i don't know why i'm really bothering to say all this.... this type of advice is usually not received very well because it's often not what the asker really wants to hear. but it's the truth: no one cares about your studio... no one... except you. it's "neato" to you, but to everyone else it's just some gear in a room.... market yourself, and make yourself marketable. as i said before, the strong will survive, so play to your strengths. that's the best advice i can give you.

Agreed with James.

Until you are looking to "pass off as a professional audio engineer", why not just market your self low key, only as your own self, being upfront and honest about what you can offer.
At your stage you might be better off just setting up a simple myspace page to be able to contact other bands and honestly offer them your service.
When you are more developed with your skill set, then worry about marketing yourself as an engineer.
When you have a studio that looks like - A studio - then make a site, etc for the studio.

One way to look at this is from the clients point of view:
They see that "a studio" is offering their service, then they rock up to have a look or you book them and they come for their first day of recording and it's a room without all the dedicated areas and equipment that they expected. Alot of bands, especially those who haven't recorded before, would have a set of expectations. Not living up to those will devalue what you have in their eyes unless you are honest about the expectations.

IMO at least, the only places which should be called Studios, instead of home/ project studios are ones where there are dedicated areas (live room, control room) and enough routing options for the use of those rooms properly. ie, a patchbay or through connections in the walls and ability to control headphone mixes independent of the main mix.

I may be rambling at this point so I will stop.

i don't know why i'm really bothering to say all this.... this type of advice is usually not received very well because it's often not what the asker really wants to hear. but it's the truth: no one cares about your studio... no one... except you. it's "neato" to you, but to everyone else it's just some gear in a room.... market yourself, and make yourself marketable. as i said before, the strong will survive, so play to your strengths. that's the best advice i can give you.

I hope I didn't come across that way. As someone who's been successful in the business, I actually take your opinion very seriously. And after thinking about it, I have to agree with you. I would probably be better suited to record some of my friend's band for practice before creating a studio page, heavily advertising, etc. For right now I'll focus on practicing my skill set and building up gear.

Probably not the reply you expected, but I can't argue with solid reasoning.