Name your favorite Pantera

I like the first four albums, especially "Power Metal." I still can't believe that Phil Anselmo SANG on that album! Apparently, there was a time when he wasn't shredding his vocal chords.

Personally, I never got into the more popular Pantera albums. It's all too macho metal for my tastes. Of course, I'm in the minority, so take it for what it's worth.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Pantera are one of my favorite bands of all time... and feel extremely grateful for having to change to have seen them live as many times as I did. Ranking them is incredibly difficult, as they all are quite near and dear to me (since they were my favorite band growing up). I retain the right to change the ranking as needed ;)

Far Beyond Driven
Cowyboys from Hell
I Am The Night
Vulgar Display of Power
Power Metal
The Great Southern Trendkill
Metal Magic
Projects in the Jungle
Reinventing the Steel

Vulgar Display of Power and Cowboys from Hell are my favorite discs, though I do love them all.

Saw them three times, twice in 1997 (Ozzfest, and 101 Proof headlining show indoors) and once in 2000/2001 (?) for Reinventing the Steel when they had Morbid Angel open - weird to see a death metal band play in an arena!

The 101 Proof headlining show was my favorite, since it was at the Aragon in Chicago. I was 17 and stayed in or around the pit for most of the show, about 25 feet from the stage. Awesome setlist and performance!

A few sporatic songs here and there are okay, but overall they are one of the most overrated bands in metal, ever. They are the precursor to other wiffle-ball "groove" metal bands like Machine Head and Lamb of God, too. :ill:

These guys have never done anything for me... just not my thing... although I do like the song "Walk" ... probably because the wrestler Rob Van Dam used it as his intro music when he was in ECW...

Hmmm...we actually differ here then! :)

I like the first four albums, especially "Power Metal." I still can't believe that Phil Anselmo SANG on that album! Apparently, there was a time when he wasn't shredding his vocal chords.

Personally, I never got into the more popular Pantera albums. It's all too macho metal for my tastes. Of course, I'm in the minority, so take it for what it's worth.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Al, I've never heard anything from the Powermetal album, but I'd love to. It's fairly hard to get and expensive isn't it?

mëtålspëd;8320190 said:
Pantera are one of my favorite bands of all time... and feel extremely grateful for having to change to have seen them live as many times as I did. Ranking them is incredibly difficult, as they all are quite near and dear to me (since they were my favorite band growing up). I retain the right to change the ranking as needed ;)

Far Beyond Driven
Cowyboys from Hell
Vulgar Display of Power
Power Metal
The Great Southern Trendkill
Metal Magic
Projects in the Jungle
Reinventing the Steel

Vulgar still has the top pick for me, where TGST probably finishes dead last.

Vulgar Display of Power and Cowboys from Hell are my favorite discs, though I do love them all.

Saw them three times, twice in 1997 (Ozzfest, and 101 Proof headlining show indoors) and once in 2000/2001 (?) for Reinventing the Steel when they had Morbid Angel open - weird to see a death metal band play in an arena!

The 101 Proof headlining show was my favorite, since it was at the Aragon in Chicago. I was 17 and stayed in or around the pit for most of the show, about 25 feet from the stage. Awesome setlist and performance!

That's awesome that they actually had a metal band to open for them! :kickass:

A few sporatic songs here and there are okay, but overall they are one of the most overrated bands in metal, ever. They are the precursor to other wiffle-ball "groove" metal bands like Machine Head and Lamb of God, too. :ill:

Palabra, your music taste man...I swear. :lol:

~Brian~

Saw them several years ago at Ozzfest in Atlanta.They came on right before Ozzy.I had front row tickets on Dimebag's side of the stage.I caught 8 guitar picks and stood mesmerized the entire set watching this band.I had never seen a live show of this kind of metal.Cowboys is my favorite album and song,so naturally when it was about over and they had not played it yet I started wondering would they skip it? In between songs Phil started talking about coming back and doing a show there in Atlanta so they could play longer and I screamed out "COWBOYS!!!!"
Phil looked over to my side of the stage and said "Aww,fuck that shit man". I wasn't sure whether I should cry,laugh,or get mad.I sucked it up and decided oh,well I still can say Dimebag stood in front of me for 45 minutes or so shredding his guitar and throwing picks everywhere.They ended their set and went off the stage.Everyone started screaming for an encore and then I heard the opening riff to my song.....It's all a blur after that.

I almost forgot,Ozzy was good that night to=)

Oh, and I have never seen a floor/pit match the ferocity, as those at Pantera shows. The floors were crazy, and after the end of a few songs, Dime would reward the crowd by tossing beers out. God I miss them :(

Vulgar
Cowboys
Far Beyond

I never paid attention to the others, except for Trendkill.

I saw them in 1996 with Neurosis opening and I remember during their set Phil kept chanting, "The mutiny has been electrocuted!" which is Neurosis lyric, and I thought that was pretty cool. I also saw them at Lakewood Amphitheater in the early 90s. I think Sepultura and Prong were the openers... I think.

A friend of mine saw them open for Skid Row in 1990 or 1991 in Alabama!

Vulgar
Cowboys
Far Beyond

I never paid attention to the others, except for Trendkill.

I saw them in 1996 with Neurosis opening and I remember during their set Phil kept chanting, "The mutiny has been electrocuted!" which is Neurosis lyric, and I thought that was pretty cool. I also saw them at Lakewood Amphitheater in the early 90s. I think Sepultura and Prong were the openers... I think.

A friend of mine saw them open for Skid Row in 1990 or 1991 in Alabama!

I saw Pantera in... I believe it was 96, with Anthrax. At the end of the Anthrax set, Phil actually came out on stage, and they covered Celtic Frost's "Dethroned Emperor".... was pretty wicked!

I used to go see them all the time in Houston during the mid-late '80s, must have seen at least 20 shows, always excellent. So for me it would go:

I AM THE NIGHT
POWER METAL
PROJECTS IN THE JUNGLE
METAL MAGIC
COWBOYS FROM HELL

You can keep the ones subsequent to CFH. What can I say, I'm stuck in the '80s! :)

this is how I would rank their albums:
1. I Am The Night
2. Cowboys from Hell
3. Vulgar Display of Power
4. Power Metal
5. Far Beyond Driven
6. Projects in the Jungle
7. Metal Magic
8. Reinventing the Steel
9. The Great Southern Trendkill

Favorite song:
Come-On Eyes

this is how I would rank their albums:
1. I Am The Night
2. Cowboys from Hell
3. Vulgar Display of Power
4. Power Metal
5. Far Beyond Driven
6. Projects in the Jungle
7. Metal Magic
8. Reinventing the Steel
9. The Great Southern Trendkill

Flip #1 and #2 and we are in perfect agreement.

I love Cowboys and Vulgar. Driven has a few good songs, but they lost me after that...

I saw them at Jaxx (it was called Zaxx back then) on the CFH tour, right before the CFH video exploded on MTV. The place was pretty full, but not sold out and the pit was pretty intense. The next two times I saw them was with Wrathchild America at the Bayou (RIP) in DC. Pantera, IMO, was at their best in small clubs like this. I saw them again in 95 or 96 with White Zombie opening. This was the first time I saw them in an outdoor venue, and I didn't think they translated that well to the big venue. The last time I saw them was at Ozzfest. The venue had just re-sodded their entire lawn area. Well the crowd decided to pick up the 2'x2' sections of sod and start throwing them into the pavilion area. A good deal of the sod wound up on stage with Pantera. At this point the FOH power was cut, and the local police showed up in Riot gear. After about 15 minutes order was restored and Pantera returned to the stage... good times!

Flip #1 and #2 and we are in perfect agreement.

Cool, I have been a fan of Pantera since their hair metal days. Just love I Am The Night album. always have!! First time I heard Cowboys from Hell, I was blown away. Could not believe this was the same band!!!:OMG: