Napster and Katatonia

Fakespace

New Metal Member
May 23, 2001
Reading, England
www.fakespace.co.uk
Katatonia brought up Napster and I knew they were a bit concerned with it. I can only really think of 2 things bad about it. Firstly no control over your music and secondly it's a form of theft. However a band like Katatonia who are only after the last few years getting well known to a more diverse croud could of only benefitted in some way by it. I have no opinion for it really, It does bother me however if for example there are MP3's actually given by the band on say a site like mp3.com that are free to download and then people spread them over Napster, mainly because of course you make money everytime someone downloads your song of mp3.com. I had a copy of the entire LSFDG from napster, but I did buy LFDGD as soon as it came out, does that justify it? Or am I abusing the bands control over their own music? Also I managed to get "Quietworld", a song which nobody has ever brought up but to me it's probably one of the most emotional songs they did and was only realeased limited. At least I managed to get to hear such a rare song. Is that really bad? I would have bought it if I was able to.
I suppose it comes down to one thing, who really controls the music, the fans or the Artists (or the record label)?

We don't need trendy people listening to Katatonia! :( They'll just spoil the music for the real fans.
As for Napster, there's nothing wrong with downloading an MP3 to hear what a band sounds like, but I don't believe in acting like some fucking jew and downloading albums and burning them! I'd rather have an actual CD...

Originally posted by Endtime
We don't need trendy people listening to Katatonia! :( They'll just spoil the music for the real fans.
As for Napster, there's nothing wrong with downloading an MP3 to hear what a band sounds like, but I don't believe in acting like some fucking jew and downloading albums and burning them! I'd rather have an actual CD...

Ooookay.

1) Who exactly is "trendy people" and how is their listening to Katatonia going to alter the effect for you at all? Even if a bunch of the less fortunate members of society buy Katatonia records it's only going to give the band more support and money with which to tour, etc. so "real fans" like you can see them.
2) "some fucking jew". I don't think I'm going off on a tangent when I say that nobody needs to hear that kind of shit here, alright? I honestly don't give a rats ass, you can say what you like, but my humble advice would be to watch what remarks you make before somebody does take offense and gets you kicked off of here.
3) The act of theft or plagarism is often far more a (for example) Christian and/or perhaps an American trait than, say, a Jewish one. I'm not blaming these general groups for anything, but before you go pointing around the proverbial cannon of random prejudice, at least have something to support that with.
4) Have a lovely day.

i think its rewarding somehow just to wait for the cd to come out. i freaked out when i got LFDGD-i ordered it through the cd store i work in before or right around the US release date and did not think it would come in. so when it did come in my night was great and i was in a kick ass wonderful mood.
if i had already heard all the songs on napster or whatever it would not have meant as much to me when the actual cd was in my hands.

and its not like LFDGD (or the cd of any other band that i love for that matter) is just 11 songs... its way more than that. layout is super important and something a lot of time and thought is put into. the track order, artwork, the font, (something like the scratched out words in the lyrics! isnt that fucking neat?) lyrics, information, the type of case the cd comes in-all these things are integral to the atmosphere of the album, to the music itself. and i totally agree with what someone suggested to me once- that just the work and effort put into an album, into every song and all the little details should earn the band the fucking right to say "we want the world to hear this album on this date," and out of respect it shouldnt be a problem for fans to wait for that date.

I apologize for that remark, but who the fuck are you to say that Americans are bigger thieves? Theft is everywhere and there are some places that are worse than the US for thievery.
As for my "prejudiced" comment, you're being just as bad by saying that Americans are bigger thieves, hypocrite.

Just to clear things up, I don't want to start a boardwar and didn't intend on my posts for doing that. To answer your other comment, sometimes if a band does get bigger, it can ruin the feeling that someone gets when they listen to their music. But that's if you've been a fan of a band before they "made it" or "got big."
I doubt this will happen, but like you said, the only advantage of this is that people like me or us can see Katatonia without having to fly to Europe.