nasty guitar resonance

Oct 4, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Hey guys

I'm getting an annoying resonance on this guitar which seems to be mostly on the biggest string. I recorded a short clip to show an example of that. I guess someone here should be familiar with this sort of thing and should have an idea what is causing this? I have a feeling the string gauge on this guitar is not big enough for this tuning (Guitar is in A# and uses 0.56) but it might be an other problem entirely.

Also, excuse the fuck up in the playing, just wanted to record something real quick to show what the problem is.

http://soundcloud.com/mepheticexhumation/tonetest111

PS: how the hell do I include the soundcloud player directly in the post?

128 views and no answer? Is it cause you guys think I'm hallucinating this ringing? Or it's because it's not noticeable enough that I should bother doing something about it? Or maybe that question has been asked to death already on here?

It would surprise me if I was hallucinating the ringing since my buddy also hears it. I think it is kinda obvious too. It seems more noticeable to me when the clip is played in mono.

C'mon guys I'd like to have at least one single answer!

Well I just recently had an issue with some weird ass resonance. Mine basically was caused from the pickup being to close to the strings and the proximity of the cab being to the wall. I'd suggest first using a type of frequency analyzer such as "voxengo's span" to spot the offending frequency and use a surgical eq, sweeping up and down to find and kill the spot. Every guitar sound is going to be different coming from different situations and setups but I believe that would be your best bet. Right off, it doesn't sound bad at all but if your ears hear something u don't like the try the above and eq to taste. Hope this helps!