Horrendous 130hz Resonance In Guitars

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys,

I started tracking something today and I can't stop hearing this absolutely horrible resonance at 130hz in both the DI's and reamps. I downloaded a few other peoples DI's and they aren't nearly as bass heavy as mine. I tried different picks, different methods of capture the DI (instrument in, countryman type 85 to line in, ISA One Pre Instrument in) and it's still there. It seems to really only be accentuated when I chug the top string but I'm losing my mind. I've also tried a fret wrap at the top of the neck above the nut. I don't want to keep tracking if this something I could possibly fix.

I know I can filter it out, but I'm concerned it's effecting the entire tone and making it muddy, whether or not I filter it or even hit it with a multiband compressor. The guitar is a Skervesen Rapor 7 string with a Swamp ash body and quilted maple top. Pickups are BKP Juggernauts.

Filtered Bandpass at 130hz

Reamp

Here's a link to the DI's if you're feeling brave
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0z_hsiwg4GtcXdKaXJadE5HdVk

have you tried changing the string? It could be a weird core, or the string bound up enough to resonance sympathetically

Have you changed gauges, brands,or anything else recently? After listening to the DIs, I feel like there is something different but not "broken" with the tone, if that makes sense.

Have you changed gauges, brands,or anything else recently? After listening to the DIs, I feel like there is something different but not "broken" with the tone, if that makes sense.

I changed strings recently to these GHS boomer strings before tracking, perhaps that has something to do with it? I'll see if it's wound weird at the top when I get home as well

These are the strings, perhaps that's where they get there name 'Boom' from
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFEKCD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: newamerikangospel
I changed strings recently to these GHS boomer strings before tracking, perhaps that has something to do with it? I'll see if it's wound weird at the top when I get home as well

These are the strings, perhaps that's where they get there name 'Boom' from
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFEKCD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried once that ghs boomer on the bass and they were a shit, really shitty sound. Had to change again quickly to record because they were very bad.

...So I'm not the only one with that problem. Different strings didn't help me at all. I played before with Ernie Ball 012-056, and started to think that maybe those are the problem, but now I'm playing with D'Addario 011-052 in higher tuning......Same problem.
I have to cut and/or multiband comp a lot in that 100-300 area, it's just not right.

......Help, thanks! :D

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I have a set of D'Addario strings (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YJJ0K0I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on the way. I've always had really really good experiences with D'Addario so perhaps that's part of the issue. Otherwise, I'll have to test out more cases as to why this is. The build quality of my Skervesen is absurdly good, so I'd be surprised if that's where the issue lies. I'll update this thread tomorrow night with some A/B tests between the two. Thanks everyone for your help so far

One other thing to note, it seems the resonance is the worst when I play the C# chord (just a barred chord at the fourth fret on the top 3 strings tuned in drop A). I haven't tested to see if it moves around when I drop to the A# as they might be a bit more telling of what's going on

Fuuuuuck. I literally have the same set that I was about to throw on my 7 string because I couldn't find a D'Addario set with the gauges I wanted. And my 707's are muddy as hell to begin with......sigh.

I think that the problem is in the pickups. Did some test recordings with 2 different audio interfaces (Line6 UX1 and Scarlett 18i8)...Scarlett was better, but not so much that it would really fix the problem. But then I tried the neck pickup, and there's not this horrible sound at all.
Guitar is tuned to D#, and in this tuning when I play G# power chord, it sounds really horrible at 300-320Hz.
Pickups are passive, guitar is just a cheap ESP M50.

i once made an IR of my cab.
To do this, I used a sine sweep, like most people do.
The result has the exact same 130Hz C bump that I get when playing. I assume it´s the closed cab´s resonance peak, which naturally comes up when the Q factor of the speaker+enclosure system is rather high (stiff chassis suspension + "too small" cab, where 30ft³ per speaker can still be small).

For what its worth, all of my schecter guitars always "pound" the low C fifth chord, regardless of tuning or strings. Maybe its the nature of the guitar build in general as well.

Seems the problem comes from the DI, the guitar tone is fine but the low frequency is overwhelming the tone, have you tried another guitar?

Hey all,

Didn't have time to put together A/B tests but I played with the new strings last night and most of the resonant peaks went away after changing strings. It's not completely gone as I expected because of the nature of the chord I'm playing but most of it is gone. I'm going to attribute this to the GHS boomer strings I was using as I tested every other medium I could think of and had the same issue with those strings. Thanks for everyones help, I'll try and post DI's/results tonight if i have time

Reactions: newamerikangospel