recip5.jpg

- 300 g chuck steak
- 300 g pork shoulder
- 300 g stewing lamb or mutton
- 2-3 onions
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- blackpepper
- water

Cut the meat into cubes (4x4 cm). There is no need to remove small bones. Put the meat and coarsely chopped onion in layers in a casserole, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Add enough water to almost cover the meat.
Bake without a cover at a moderate temperature, c. 175 °C, for 2 1/2-3 hours. Cover the casserole towards the end of the cooking time.

Serve with mashed potato and lingonberry purée.

poronkäristys (erm..well, its reindeer...)
PoronkarRes.jpg

- 400gr reindeermeat (frozen meat is ok too..)
- 50gr butter
- 0,5 dl water or beer :D
- salt
- blackpepper

melt the butter in a pan, add meat, salt and blackpepper, let cook for around 30 mins. add water or beer let cook again for 30 mins, check the taste and serve with smashed potatoes and lingonberry puree.

karjalanpiirakat (karelian rice/potato pasties)
karjalanpiirakat.jpg

im not even try to write this recipe, haha..

the green stuff looks like spinach or sth

@ caro: I know it's from vienna, though i somewhere read it has its roots in italy.
anyway, i guess it's gotten a national food. After all it has germanic roots ;)

Well I've certainly never seen the kind of poronkäristys as in that pic...but it does taste great.

Woo, mämmiä! Too bad I hate that food.
The guy on the right in the picture looks like he's stuffing the mämmi in his nose...

The general boozing night food here would probably be makkaraperunat (sausage & potatoes (french fries or something else)).
MAKKARAPERUNAT.JPG

Not the most delightful picture, but you get the idea. I like to eat that in the summer. Even if not drunk.

riisipiirakat.jpg

These are good too, they're just usually bigger.

Dunno how national these are and all, but they're tasty.

i thought funland only had those weird looking fries, sculptured with saw like borders. anyhow. fries in oven. who could dig that :Smug:

important detail in belgium you mostly don't get your fries in those plastic horrible things. paper bags/boxes are much better

and dries: be aware of the mämmi!
fins seem to have a great pleasure in feeding it to foreigners.
my first spoon of mämmi i got in a finnish psychiatric hospital, it was -30 outside and the civil service guys gathered up around me. there was this plate with brown stuff and this milk on it. some sugar. i was trying to smile and be all jolly about finnish culture. i hesitated. had a bit a struggle to get a clump on my spoon. there the spoon approached. brown stuff in my mouth. chewing, swallowing. interesting. just interesting.

it's made of dark finnish bread if i'm not mistaken and you can keep it as long as you want, it might get a bit stickier when it's older, but some say the older the best.
it got a label to become an export product. haven't seen it at ikea yet.

mämmi. mämmi.

siderea said:
i thought funland only had those weird looking fries, sculptured with saw like borders. anyhow. fries in oven. who could dig that :Smug:
:err:

siderea said:
important detail in belgium you mostly don't get your fries in those plastic horrible things. paper bags/boxes are much better
hmm, not always tru

siderea said:
and dries: be aware of the mämmi!
fins seem to have a great pleasure in feeding it to foreigners.
my first spoon of mämmi i got in a finnish psychiatric hospital, it was -30 outside and the civil service guys gathered up around me. there was this plate with brown stuff and this milk on it. some sugar. i was trying to smile and be all jolly about finnish culture. i hesitated. had a bit a struggle to get a clump on my spoon. there the spoon approached. brown stuff in my mouth. chewing, swallowing. interesting. just interesting.

it's made of dark finnish bread if i'm not mistaken and you can keep it as long as you want, it might get a bit stickier when it's older, but some say the older the best.
it got a label to become an export product. haven't seen it at ikea yet.

mämmi. mämmi.
hmmm :err: