Tagliatelle al Ragu

chupe666

You may enter up to 25 ch
Apr 11, 2002
Where you live
www.chupetunes.com
Tagliatelle al Ragu

Recipe courtesy Mario Batali, 2001
See this recipe on-air at the Food Network on 08/23/2002 at 3:00 AM ET.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup butter
1 cup onions, chopped small
1/2 cup celery, chopped small
1/4 cup carrots, chopped small
1/4 pound pancetta, ground (you can ask your butcher to do this)
1 pound veal
1/2 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 cups whole milk
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup tomato paste
Tagliatelle, recipe follows
Parmigiano-Reggiano

In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, add olive oil and butter and heat. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until very soft and beginning to caramelize. Mix together all of the meats. Add the meats to the pan and begin to brown. When the meat begins changing color and releasing its own liquids, add the milk. Cook until the milk is almost totally evaporated–it should just be moist around the edges of the meat, about 15 minutes. Add the wine. Add the tomato paste and stir well. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 hours.

Roll out pasta dough to the thinnest setting on a pasta machine. Cut into strips that are 4-inches wide and 8 inches long. Starting with the 4-inch side, loosely roll the pasta into a tube that is about 4-inches long and 2 1/2-inches wide. Cut the open side into 1/4-inch wide strips. Unroll the pasta and place in small bundles.

Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt to the water and return to a boil. Add the tagliatelle and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the tagliatelle and add to the bolognese sauce. Thin with a little pasta water, if necessary. Toss for 1 minute. Immediately serve in warm pasta bowls. Top with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Tagliatelle:
1 3/4 to 2 cups cake flour
1 3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs

Mound 3 1/2 cups of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and the olive oil. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and oil and begin to incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well.

As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up from the base of the mound to retain the well shape. The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated.

Start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands. Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up and discard any leftover bits. Lightly reflour the board and continue kneading for 6 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Roll or shape as desired.

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes

http://www.foodtv.com

Oh I shouldn't have read that when I am hungry and it's still 25 minutes until lunch:erk:

I am hopelessly addicted to Food TV:lol: I sit there and watch these guys and girlies make things that I KNOW I would most definitely screw up on my own, heh. Is it just me, or does Mario always come off as a pompous know it all? He just seems so arrogant all the time! Ah well...maybe I will get brave and try this one come fall...:D

Lemon Zested Orzo Pilaf

Recipe courtesy Kathleen Kennedy

1 pound orzo pasta
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons prepared pesto
2 lemons, zested, zest chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water, following the timetable on the package, approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Drain into a colander, and rinse with cold water. Drain completely.

Grease the bottom of a casserole dish with the olive oil. Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a bowl and place them in the greased dish.

Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees or until thoroughly heated, about 20 to 30 minutes. Stir and serve.

Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes

Maybe because she knows what she wants.
I like the way she orders guys around the kitchen.
HOT HOT HOT!!!!

Israeli Spice Chicken

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

A good friend of mine went to Israel and brought me back a delicious rub for meats. This is my attempt at replicating it. It works on anything and everything! Make extra and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
Israeli Spice Rub:
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) sweet paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried oregano
1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground coriander
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (medium to hot in spice level)
1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 palmful), coarse kosher salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (split, 8 pieces) 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Warm pita or flat bread, for passing

Serving suggestions: Serve with tomato relish and zucchini (recipes follow). Piling the relish and the chicken in a warm pita is a fun way to combine the flavors and textures of the 2 recipes.

For the spice rub combine the paprika, cumin, oregano, coriander, crushed red pepper flakes, and kosher salt in a bowl. Place in a sealable jar, keep in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Place chicken in a shallow dish. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to barely coat the meat. Rub chicken liberally with 4 tablespoons of the spice blend. Let stand 10 minutes.

Grill chicken 6 or 7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.

Orange and Yellow Tomato Relish:
3 vine ripe or small round red tomatoes
2 orange or yellow tomatoes
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (2 handfuls) flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped

Dressing:
3 tablespoons (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
1 ripe lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt

Seed and chop the tomatoes and combine with onion and parsley in a shallow bowl. Combine oil, lemon juice, and spices in a small plastic container with a lid. Shake dressing to combine and pour over salad. Season salad with kosher salt and toss to combine well. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.

Zucchini with Mint and Parsley:
4 small, tender zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds (look in organic section of produce counter)
3 tablespoons (3 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (half a bundle) chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (a couple of handfuls)
Kosher salt and pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cut zucchini into 1/4-inch slices. Add oil, garlic, and zucchini to pan and saute 7 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally with a firm shake of the skillet, until zucchini are just tender. Add mint, parsley, salt, and pepper, and cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and serve.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

http://www.foodtv.com

Oooh, ooh, I got one. Got it from "Food 911" on FoodTV, which I'm completely addicted to.

Brown Rice Salad with Apples

Ingredients:
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 bunch green onions (aka scallions), chopped
  • 1/2 cup walnut pieces
  • 1 cup cooked chicked, cubed
  • 3 tablespoons flat leaf fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Basically, after all the prep time and the ingredients are chopped/diced, etc., you mix everything in a giant salad bowl, then toss lightly. The recipe calls to serve at room temperature, but I've found it's MUCH MORE DELICIOUS chilled. This amount will make more than enough food for 4-6 people.

And who's bright idea was a food/recipe thread during lunchtime!?!? :mad: ;)

Originally posted by markgugs
Oooh, ooh, I got one. Got it from "Food 911" on FoodTV, which I'm completely addicted to.

Brown Rice Salad with Apples

Sound pretty good. Although I usually don't think I'll enjoy sweet fruits and stuff used in normal main course cooking, I usually end up liking it. Like Peach Shrimp stir fry I once had- it was awesome, albeit somewhat too rich after a while.

And it was not my idea. It was Larry's. Cuz he's not here right now.

Originally posted by chupe666

Sound pretty good. Although I usually don't think I'll enjoy sweet fruits and stuff used in normal main course cooking, I usually end up liking it. Like Peach Shrimp stir fry I once had- it was awesome, albeit somewhat too rich after a while.

And it was not my idea. It was Larry's. Cuz he's not here right now.

For the sheer ease of the recipe, it's well worth it to try it out. And it IS damned good. The apples add just the perfect amount of sweetness to an interesting mix of veggies and rice/chicken. Plus, you can adjust the amount of vinegar/lemon juice you use to suit your personal tastes.

ray29.jpg

"CUT THOSE PEPPERS, MISTER!!"

6820.jpg

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
Submitted by: Laurie Bennett

Makes 3 - 7x3 inch loaf pans

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Ready in: 1 Hour 5 Minutes

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

http://www.breadrecipe.com/az/DownstMnePmpkinBrd.asp