• 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 4 cups blackberries, picked over, rinsed & drained
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons butter, cold, cut in small pieces
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
In a large bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, and blackberries; combine gently. Transfer to a cast iron skillet, about 8-inch.
In a bowl, combine the flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1/4 cup boiling water and stir the mixture until it just forms a dough. Bring the blackberry mixture to a boil, stirring. Drop spoonfuls of the dough carefully onto the boiling mixture, and bake the cobbler on a baking sheet (line with foil to avoid a mess) in the middle of a preheated 400 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the topping is golden. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

oh, this reminds me. last friday night (speaking of my crappy friday night plans of late), my gf dragged me to this thing for Royal Prestige Cookware because we "won" a 3-4 day trip. Meaning: we signed up for some stupid thing at a wedding expo and they called us and like 20 other people and my gf (being somewhat gullible) went for it and took me down with her. They basically try to sell you cookware for 90 minutes and then you get this free hotel stay at a place in either Vegas, Cancun, or Orlando. Of course you have to fly/drive there yourselves and can only stay like Sun-Wed.

Anyway, they start out by showing you all these normal cookware items like the cast iron skillet and throw water in it and scrub and pour it in a glass to show you how gross it is. Then they show you their cookware which of course doesn't look nasty and the water is clear when they scrub. At the end when we said NO THANKY the guy (kinda pissed) said "Okay, so you're just gonna keep cooking with the same junk you've got?" to which I replied "YUP! THANKS FOR THE TRIP!" The cheapest cookware plan they had was like $1099 - the most was $1999.

xfer said:
i HANKER for a HUNKA cheeeeese!
oh Froooooooost Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnt!

chupe666 said:
oh, this reminds me. last friday night (speaking of my crappy friday night plans of late), my gf dragged me to this thing for Royal Prestige Cookware because we "won" a 3-4 day trip. Meaning: we signed up for some stupid thing at a wedding expo and they called us and like 20 other people and my gf (being somewhat gullible) went for it and took me down with her. They basically try to sell you cookware for 90 minutes and then you get this free hotel stay at a place in either Vegas, Cancun, or Orlando. Of course you have to fly/drive there yourselves and can only stay like Sun-Wed.
haha my wife dragged me to one of those things, we had to sit through the presentation and then the sales dude started in...he was this Italian dude from chicago, pinkie ring, half undone shirt, gold chains, he was rapping with words like "den", "dose", "dese"...I was afraid to just say no and wake up the next morning without a horses' head in the bed. but finally we bailed. he was pissed too.

Carrot Cake
3 cups grated carrots
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup golden raisins
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Beat together the eggs, oil, and white sugar. Blend mixture for thirty seconds.

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add the carrots and raisins. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients, and mix well.

Pour batter into well greased 10 inch tube or bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 60 to 70 minutes. Cool cake on wire rack, and then refrigerate until completely cooled.

To make Cream Cheese Glaze: Blend together confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, corn syrup, and vanilla. Spead over cooled cake.

Southern Living magazine's Blackberry Cobbler
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
8 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
1/4 cup ice water
butter flavored cooking spray
1 teaspoon sugar

Directions
1) COMBINE first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; gently stir in blackberries. Spoon into an 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with orange juice. Set aside.

2) COMBINE 1 cup flour and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over mixture; stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.

3) PRESS pastry gently into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap, and cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll pastry, still covered, into a 9-inch square; chill 10 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.

4) REMOVE top sheet of plastic wrap, and cut pastry into 9 (1-inch) strips. Arrange pastry strips over blackberry mixture in a crisscross pattern.

5) COAT with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden.

haha
my wife and I started a plan to try a new cheese once a week, but our grand endeavor came to a screeching halt on that day we met stilton...

me: here's a nibble for you, and one for me...(swallow)
erica: (dainty chewing motions)
me: er....
erica: (casts a demure sideways glance my way)...er...
me: it's not very good...is it
erica: (spits stilton into napkin and quickly pours a couple of palate cleansing glasses of water...)