Nature vs. Nurture

Doomwatcher

Sep 16, 2004
Which side of this argument do you think holds more influence in the shaping of our character? Does the choice of environment affect our behavioural patterns and reactions in everyday life or is it all pre-determined by our genetical make-up?

Our brains are so incredibly complex that modern psychology has not advanced to a state where it really can make any suggestions on what is more important; nor really help anyone at all other than prescribing antidepressents ( Sorry for the Tom Cruise like rant, but I am not a big fan of the science of psychology and how they go about standardizing human behavior into certain categories, which is rather ridiculous). i reallt think it depends on the person, and their own unique makeup; some can persevere through a appalingly bad environment, while others can have the best environment in the world, but just do not have the wherewithal to confront life.

I'd ask a neurologist his/her opinion on the matter, if they even can weigh in.

Doomwatcher said:
Which side of this argument do you think holds more influence in the shaping of our character? Does the choice of environment affect our behavioural patterns and reactions in everyday life or is it all pre-determined by our genetical make-up?
I do think that this is pointless, sorry. Fact that psychology as a science exist or that there are countless systems of self-improvement all around the globe in different cultures and traditions answers your question. Genetic heritage can give some pointers, but as you know, two kids from the same family can have completely different characters and life stories.