Nature vs. Nurture

Nature vs. Nurture

• Nature all the way. There IS a Metal Gene.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Nature more than nurture. We are hardwired, but experience plays a role.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Nurture over nature. We may be hardwired, but in the end it's what we're exposed to us that sticks.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Nurture all the way. Biology has nothing to do with it - it's all in the ears.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Don't know, can't decide.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

wwallinga

Working on #3
Jan 26, 2004
NH/ME Border
Why do we listen to and appreciate bands such as Opeth? Are we hardwired to listen to certain types of music or is it a result of what we experience in our upbringing? In short - is there a Metal Gene?

Whenever I consider a nature vs. nurture question, I usually cop out and just say it's probably a little of both. Some of you may feel the same. I'm asking you to take a side, or at least to say which you think is more influential.

For my own experience, I grew up in a house largely deviod of good music. My father listened to the news. He did like jazz and classical, but not in any way that I was exposed to it on a regular basis. My mother listened to oldies and top-40. As a result, I know the words to every song written between 1978 and 1989. Thanks a lot mom.

Anyway, I didn't hear any metal until I saw Metallica on MTV in 1988. For some reason, One appealed to me. Then it was Guns n Roses, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Testament, Overkill, Sepultura, and before I knew it, I was 19, had hair halfway down my back, and was a fulltime metalhead.

Now I'm 30, and have mellowed some. But I discovered Opeth a few years ago and they are the only band in the past 5 or 10 years that has really knocked me for a loop. I'm also getting into more of the progressive bands such as Rush, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd and Camel.

So, was the lack of influence from my parents proof that I am somehow internally wired to like metal music? I'm not really sure. There must be something to it, though. But I also know of people who grow up in situations where they are heavily influenced, yet don't end up going in the same direction, be it in musical taste or whatever.

In the end, I would have to vote for nature as being a little more influential than nurture. Obviously, experience has a lot to do with it. But I just know too many people who are nothing like their parents or friends when it comes to musical taste.

What say you?

20% Nurture, you need to be exposed on a somewhat "regular basis".
80% Nature, you need to personally like it, to get really into it.

And I'm talking about music in general, not just metal.

I agree with you, but the difference that I see with metal is that it is not the popular choice. It's easy to like popular music - all you have to do is turn on the radio and not gag whenever Rob Thomas or any of a million sellouts bleats out their latest contribution to the downfall of society. Liking popular musc is akin to following the crowd.

Liking metal takes effort. You can't find it on the radio or MTV with any regularity. You have to have the urge to go get it. So, I think we're different.

I think we're better too, but that's a different discussion.

wwallinga said:
Aren't you the one who thought Mendez's Myspace site was real?

Someone want to come claim their noob? He's gotten off the leash again...
it IS real!!

@ the last intelligent post on this thread:

True, but also liking metal, is I think 5% trying to be "cool" and different... at least at the beginning

I basically got into music all on my own. My parents were never big music fans and it was mainly the radio on when i was younger.

Michael Jackson was my first musical experience in terms of actually listening to the music and really loving it. I was like 8 or something. But it didnt develope into anything. Then when i was 12 or 13 the song Truely, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden seemed to stick to me (gay i know but meh) and i started to get into radio songs. But the first band i really got into was Everclear's So Much for the Afterglow and this is what turned me onto the rock side of things and is where it all changed for me and really got me into music. During the net few years i went through the whole nu metal thing then i discovered Metallica, Slayer and Pantera and thats when it all changed, id discovered this amazing style of music that totally clicked into place with me and its just evolved from there.

Benighted1 said:
jesus dude, what are you ? Pears bum boy or something. You follow him around every thread agreeing with him and laughing out his childish bullshit...
first off, i dont even know who pear is. if i happen to think something he says is funny, ill comment it. i know it might be difficult for you to grasp, but, sometimes, people have a similar sense of humor. lay off your predictable, non-sensical bullshit.