Jazz

Mr. Leviathan

Jun 21, 2008
On the radio I heard a really interesting piece of music, what I think was jazz. The song just consisted of a piano, some great drumming and a bass instrument. It seemed to me the kind of music I would hear at a café filled with pretentious elitists (or perhaps I'm being too harsh).

If anyone can recommend me any jazz (if it is indeed jazz) of this nature, I'd would appreciate it. Thanks.

thelonious monk (piano) is great, check out any of his stuff. john coltrane for sax, miles davis for trumpet, pat metheny for guitar

edit: you can check out sun ra IF YOU WANT, but he went really retarded and screwy later on, so i suggest starting with thelonious. try Monk's Dream. thelonious' quartet consisted of a pianist, double bassist, drummer and a sax.

Well Jazz is the last genre not fucked over on radio nowadays. So my recommendation is keep going back for more.

From My iTunes Library, artists with the Jazz genre tag:
-Artie Shaw
-Benny Goodman
-Bessie Smith
-Billie Holiday
-Bud Powell
-Cassandra Wilson
-Cecil Taylor
-Charles Mingus
-Charlie Parker
-Chet Baker
-Chick Webb
-Coleman Hawkins
-Count Basie
-The Crusaders (or Jazz Crusaders)
-Dave Brubeck
-Dexter Gordon
-Dizzy Gillespie
-Django Reinhardt
-Duke Ellington
-Ella Fitzgerald
-Ethel Waters
-Fletcher Henderson
-Frankie Trumbuaer
-George Krupa
-Glenn Miller
-Grover Washington Jr.
-Herbie Hancock
-Horace Silver
-J.J. Johnson
-Jaco Pastorius (not really jazz, strictly)
-Jelly Roll morton
-John Coltrane
-Julie London
-Louis Armstrong
-Matt Roberts Group
-Miles Davis
-Quincy Jones
-The Seatbelts (the japanese jazz band behind Cowboy Bebop)
-Thelonious Monk
-Tommy Dorsey
-Weather Report (jazz FUSION!!!)
-Wynton Marsalis

I have more but it's not categorized. You can't go wrong with that list. Plenty of it isn't jazz of the nature you described, but restricting yourself to the piano-drum-upright bass combo in such a vast genre is like restricting yourself to 80s arena rock when you're trying to get into metal.

tl;dr:

Charles Mingus, Count Basie, Jazz Crusaders, Dave Brubeck, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, Herbie Hancock, J.J. Johnson, John Coltrane, Matt Roberts Group (LA local band which have become one of my all time favorites), Miles Davis, Quincy Jones, Thelonious Monk, Wynton Marsalis. And branch out to the rest later.

piano + bass + drums is a classical jazz trio. there's loads of such bands, contemporary and past. here's some examples i know:

contemporary: brad mehldau, rusconi trio, keith jarrett's standards trio
past: oscar peterson, nat king cole

Well Jazz is the last genre not fucked over on radio nowadays. So my recommendation is keep going back for more.

From My iTunes Library, artists with the Jazz genre tag:
-Artie Shaw
-Benny Goodman
-Bessie Smith
-Billie Holiday
-Bud Powell
-Cassandra Wilson
-Cecil Taylor
-Charles Mingus
-Charlie Parker
-Chet Baker
-Chick Webb
-Coleman Hawkins
-Count Basie
-The Crusaders (or Jazz Crusaders)
-Dave Brubeck
-Dexter Gordon
-Dizzy Gillespie
-Django Reinhardt
-Duke Ellington
-Ella Fitzgerald
-Ethel Waters
-Fletcher Henderson
-Frankie Trumbuaer
-George Krupa
-Glenn Miller
-Grover Washington Jr.
-Herbie Hancock
-Horace Silver
-J.J. Johnson
-Jaco Pastorius (not really jazz, strictly)
-Jelly Roll morton
-John Coltrane<----A MUST
-Julie London
-Louis Armstrong
-Matt Roberts Group
-Miles Davis<---A MUST
-Quincy Jones
-The Seatbelts (the japanese jazz band behind Cowboy Bebop)
-Thelonious Monk<---A MUST
-Tommy Dorsey
-Weather Report (jazz FUSION!!!)
-Wynton Marsalis

I suggest start with the boppers first then you can move into other genres later.

jazz has its share of retardations, just like metal. smooth jazz is fucking hideous, i dont know if it gets any airplay though

also, i dont know if you want to listen to any solo, chord-melody stuff but Joe Pass is a great for that style

Well Illidan wins pretty hard with that list. Mingus deserves BOLD and <<a must, he is a major winner. Off the top of my head I'll plug Nils Petter Molvær, Bohren & Der Club Of Gore and Somnambulist' as artists worth checking out.

Pick up anything by Bill Evans, Ahmad Jamal, Mcoy Tyner, all jazz pianists. You must hear Jaco Pastorius bass player-absolutely phenominal, his phrasing is incredible. Start with his debut. Sadly, he's dead.

Good smooth jazz = early Pat Metheny, like his self-titled album. A rare bird no doubt though.

For another good recommendation, Charlie Hunter has loads of good work out there, esp. his first couple Charlie Hunter Trio albums.

I hate saying this but whenever someone asks me to recommend a good jazz album, I always tell them start with Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. It is widely considered to be the best jazz album, especially by people who aren't really into jazz. However, it really is that good and it sounds kind of like what you are looking for. Very mellow and good for relaxing. And yes, you probably would hear it in a cafe filled with elitists! I'm sure your local library has a copy so you don't have to buy it to try it out. Or there are other means of finding it...

Oh yeah, that's the other good thing about jazz. 90% of my collection was ripped from CDs from the library.

Oh yes. If you like jazz, your library is your friend. I live in a decent sized city (~500,000) and our downtown library has a crazy good CD selection (even Opeth!). I rip 10-20 CDs a week from there. All legalities aside, a good way to build your collection and to find new artists you may have never heard otherwise.

Hey, thanks guys! Good idea about the library, too.

EDIT: And sorry about the 'elitist' thing - it was the only thing I could think of to describe what I heard.