Nebula iDesk and Slate VCC... WTF?!?

Yeah you guys wouldn't have caught this but Alex B was quite infuriated on the Nebula boards by the fact that VCC exhibited behavior that indicated it was in some ways emulating his desk programs. He noted that Fabrice bought his desk programs from him some months ago. In one instance, with the SSL desk, he had a BBE patched in, which was bypassed, but it still screwed with the phase response. This was a glitch in the original CLC programs. Apparently VCC exhibited this exact same phase response anomaly in their 4k emulation (or whatever they called it in the end).

I didn't verify any of this myself, but Alex is a fairly knowledgeable electronics engineer, and the stuff he regularly talks about, including all the subtle nuance differences just goes way over my head.

At the end of the day I don't know what the truth is, I just know that the Nebula programs sound better to me and that's enough to keep using them.

Can someone confirm this? Slate, Fabrice?
Even if it's true (and I'm not saying it is), this is never gonna happen. Confirming it would be a suicide for Slate Digital, after all the marketing hype around VCC...
In fact they've already posted this on GS:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/5953851-post78.html

There is another important aspect to consider in this whole situation, which is the legality of sampling a software with Nebula technology and then sell it or give it away for free...
If it is legal, then everybody could grab a demo of a software, sample it and use it or sell it without even the need of buying it. And this would be a huge issue for audio software companies...

Anyway:popcorn:

I don't know man, don't know much about this but when you make those kind of accusations, you should bring some specific evidences. Just saying.

yeah, i very much doubt this to be true.....fabrice etc are all top programmers and this would be incredibly shitty of them.

wasnt there something a while back that seemed like someone stole the recabinet impulses as they were selling some that were very similar? and then turned out that they were unique?

Well if there was such evidence I'm sure a lawsuit would be in order...

The Slate crew would go a long way toward exoneration by simply identifying the actual consoles they sampled.
I think that Nebula would have better served their business interest with a trip to the lawyer rather than starting an internet battle

He noted that Fabrice bought his desk programs from him some months ago.

"Evidence" like this is always funny. If I was developing such a product, I'd consider it pretty damn stupid not buy some similar, competitive products and compare mine to them.

Until someone brings some real evidence to the table and not just wild speculation, I'm not taking any sides or throwing any fuel into the fire. I'd suggest the same to everyone else.

poor slate... i feel like he's one of the more legitimate business owners these days and i also feel like he's constantly getting shit on by stuff like this.

"Evidence" like this is always funny. If I was developing such a product, I'd consider it pretty damn stupid not buy some similar, competitive products and compare mine to them.

Until someone brings some real evidence to the table and not just wild speculation, I'm not taking any sides or throwing any fuel into the fire. I'd suggest the same to everyone else.

THIS