Nebula iDesk and Slate VCC... WTF?!?

WOW! Alex didn't prove anything at all. He just re-pointed out a similarity he found while sampling Slate's VCC which I still find VERY curious, while slamming Slate's efforts. Then after that, he wants to wipe his hands of the situation??? You've got to be kidding me! What an asshole! He's got a whole lot more to answer for than that. You can't just slander someone, not present any real proof of your claims, and then wipe your hands of the situation!!! Total bullshit! I for one want nothing to do with him or his products if this is the way he conducts business.

Yeh Alex shouldn't have commented like that...it's not professional at all.....If he thought Slate stole his shit then he should have just taken legal matters......For Example you don't ever see Slate Bashing Toontracks....Actually he has said that having both is a great tool to have...and they both have there place......But yeh To post something like that and then he wants to back out of the Discussion...Ridiculous ....I smell a bit of jealousy

That has to be one of the most moronic business moves I ever saw. Way to go, Mr. Boschi, until now all I knew about your products was that everyone says they sound absolutely awesome. Now I know I everyone says they sound absolutely awesome but I don't want anything to do with them. Thumbs up!

I have to say - between the guy behind the Alex B. stuff and the other developers like Urs from the U-He apps over at the KVR forums crashing the party with his rants about Slates marketing speak - they are just looking like a bunch of dick heads that I would never want to do business with. All I can say to Steven is keep your head out of the muck - in the end they are just beating their own images into the ground with this bull shit drama.

Oh, and the SS team have always been stand up with me. I sometimes am a little overwhelmed by the sexiness of their marketing, but I don't think you should hold that against them - it's just their way!

Can't speak for VCC, but Trigger is AMAZING. It really is the best replacement tool out there.

Why even take sides on this? The whole thing is ridiculous either way you look at it. People can have their opinions about Slate and Alex B, who does the right or wrong thing etc... For every person who think Alex B is an asshole, there is another one thinking Slate is an asshole for whatever reason so it all evens out in the end you see. I might be an asshole too but I don't fucking care!

Deciding to buy or not to buy a product on the basis of the developer being an asshole or not in your view.. what's up with that shit?? Is that how serious you are about getting the most out of your productions??

"Hey man, this mix doesn't sound very good!"
"Yeah, well.. I was going to buy this other tool for the job, but I thought the developer was an asshole so I decided to settle for less".

I don't care if any of those guys started World War freakin' IV.. I'm still going to buy what I think sounds best and I'm a customer of both Slate and Alex B and I support them for all the great stuff they do.

Anyone can be an asshole given the right situation. Get over it and move on!!!!

Why even take sides on this? The whole thing is ridiculous either way you look at it. People can have their opinions about Slate and Alex B, who does the right or wrong thing etc... For every person who think Alex B is an asshole, there is another one thinking Slate is an asshole for whatever reason so it all evens out in the end you see. I might be an asshole too but I don't fucking care!

Deciding to buy or not to buy a product on the basis of the developer being an asshole or not in your view.. what's up with that shit?? Is that how serious you are about getting the most out of your productions??

"Hey man, this mix doesn't sound very good!"
"Yeah, well.. I was going to buy this other tool for the job, but I thought the developer was an asshole so I decided to settle for less".

I don't care if any of those guys started World War freakin' IV.. I'm still going to buy what I think sounds best and I'm a customer of both Slate and Alex B and I support them for all the great stuff they do.

Anyone can be an asshole given the right situation. Get over it and move on!!!!

It just comes down to personal morals in this instance. If someone feels strongly enough about something, why should they support that developer? Are their mixes that reliant on console emulation when there are subjectively equal alternatives available? It's not like ditching Pro-Tools in favour of Jokosher or Audicity for the sake of principle and out of hatred for Avid, that's an entirely different level of principle in my opinion.

Personally, in this particular instance, I'm siding with Slate and am eager to try out VCC.

Edit: Warning - I've drank alot of Jägermeister prior to posting this. :D

Another vote for SS on this. I think all of his stuff sounds great, is relatively user friendly, and I really like how the Slate team put a lot of effort into helping users and don't knock other products.

Much appreciated guys. Its nice to have support from you all, and its one of the many reasons I dig hanging here.

This AlexB/Nebula thing is kinda sad. I didn't ask to be brought into their whole mess, but between getting falsely accused of damaging business practices and then this ridiculous iDesk thing.. its got me a bit angry. I would have let it go, but unfortunately, there seemed to be quite a few people who took AlexB's claims seriously. So that takes it to a serious level. I don't think I was out of line when I asked AlexB to either retract his claim or clearly prove it. He brushed this request off which really sucks because I was hoping it would be over.

The good news is that AES is going great, and we have some exciting TRIGGER news coming up. I've also had the opportunity to hang with a lot of great people. The new Sound Toys JUICE looks really cool. I absolutely love their decapitator plugin on bass.. If you haven't tried it, do so!

Steven

Steven,

I think you will find a lot of support here, from a moral standpoint at the very least,
You have been good to us, you are down to earth enough to come on here and chat to us in person which means a lot
From where im standing everything you have said/done is 100% justified, you will come out of this on top, dont let them get you down.

Looking forward to your Trigger News !

Look at it this way: If I buy this one-man product and need to discuss something about it with the developer, be it a support scenario or whatever, I'm going to have to discuss it with the guy who wrote all the stuff we saw above. What if he acts like that towards me, a customer, when I need his help? No, thank you. Have we ever seen Slate pull off something like that? Nope. I've talked with him and his team about his products and asked for assistance several times and they have always been very helpful and absolutely professional, which makes me feel I'm actually putting my money into a product and getting compensated for the financial investment. If I had a great outboard compressor in my studio that sounded absolutely tits but gave me an electric shock every time I tweaked it, I probably wouldn't use it.

The comment about "being serious about getting the most out of my productions" was a bit of a low blow. I have no experience with AlexB's Nebula programs, but I have used VCC (which I really liked), and while I'm sure the AlexB's programs sound really good, I don't find either of them crucial for getting a good mix going. They're nice spices on the top, but the lack of those applications shouldn't be in the way of me getting a good sound.

Look at it this way: If I buy this one-man product and need to discuss something about it with the developer, be it a support scenario or whatever, I'm going to have to discuss it with the guy who wrote all the stuff we saw above. What if he acts like that towards me, a customer, when I need his help? No, thank you.

This is exactly how I feel about this - I've been watching this whole distasteful scenario play out in several forums and the various developers involved - those directly and those that have no true dog in the fight that have simply decided now is a good time to get their nose in the dirt with comments about marketing and such (which is one of the things I find truly sad and have decided I will never buy from Urs (U-He) ever because of his actions in this dispute). My feelings are that if I had to buy a product from any of these folks it would be from Slate at this point simply for the way he has tried to keep above the comments about others products or how they market them.

I think we all know that marketing speak tends to stretch the truth and is in itself almost "fantastical" in nature, pumping up the products strengths with flashy terminology that make us go "Wow!". These folks are in business to sell products - it's what allows them to release updates, new products, expansions, ... Hell, when I place a Craigslist add I want it to get noticed, I word it like a marketing guy would (do you tell people your amp sounds like shit when you are trying to sell it to them?) - why? Because I want to sell whatever I'm selling so I can buy more shit!

I own Nebula products as well as 3rd party developed libraries, I also own products from Steven Slate - at this point, I'm feeling better about my Slate purchases and would more readily give my money to him rather than Giancarlo or the man behind Alex B. and my money surely is never going to a Urs product from now on. It's all in how the parties involved have acted in this drama - some of them just rub me the wrong way. I'm also of the mindset that if a plugin sounds good that's all that matters in the end - I don't care if it sounds "just like" or "amazingly realistic" or "extremely accurate modeling" - all I care if is if the end result is pleasing to my ears.

In the end - I do want to feel good about the product I bought for it's effect on my music, the support I've received, and the sound of the results - that's it.

Look at it this way: If I buy this one-man product and need to discuss something about it with the developer, be it a support scenario or whatever, I'm going to have to discuss it with the guy who wrote all the stuff we saw above. What if he acts like that towards me, a customer, when I need his help? No, thank you...

...The comment about "being serious about getting the most out of my productions" was a bit of a low blow...
And I respect that opinion... I will just repeat that "anyone can be an asshole given the right situation". If you haven't had the experience of more than one developer of software or hardware come off as an asshole, you've been in contact with way too few developers is all I'm saying and if you want to base your decision on what to buy on such an isolated event when you don't even know the person, ultimately you wouldn't buy a single thing for the risk of someone acting like an a-hole towards you which can and will happen given the right situation since in most cases WHEN that happens it very seldom has to do with YOU but some other situation out of your control.

I'm sorry if you took offense, that statement was not directed towards you in any way. Just saying... buy what sounds good to you and leave all those other insecurities at the door is my opinion.