Nebula iDesk and Slate VCC... WTF?!?

Even if they get their marketing department better, how the hell can you use the console programs? They're a freaking hog, unless you process every single audio track... Which I say... good luck with your deadline! Even yesterday I was just processing R2R and tape booster on 11 tracks, took me about fuckign 22 minutes... because I had to do track by track, because if I select all of them cubase just hangs in them middle of it... And no, it's not user error I have nothing wrong, just a mac pro with cubase 5.5 plugins, no bullshit applications installed.

I use them all the time on full records with deadlines. Batch offline processing works fine for me in Cubase. The only thing you need to consider is your gain structuring. So hover around -18dB to hit 0VU, and drive anything you want more saturated hotter than that. Then run the master bus program in real-time. Easy.

I am aware of that Ermz, the thing is, sometimes it just hangs out of the blue! Like I said I was just processing 11 audio files and it just crashed... I had to select one by one and process one by one... Also I almost lost a full mix due to having just ONE instance of nebula reverb, whenever I opened it if I clicked on anything it just hanged (circular rainbow of death haha)... I dont know if this is an issue with the mac vst version still being bugged... but it might be

I am aware of that Ermz, the thing is, sometimes it just hangs out of the blue! Like I said I was just processing 11 audio files and it just crashed... I had to select one by one and process one by one... Also I almost lost a full mix due to having just ONE instance of nebula reverb, whenever I opened it if I clicked on anything it just hanged (circular rainbow of death haha)... I dont know if this is an issue with the mac vst version still being bugged... but it might be

SAME shit happens to me...

i can't even load up Neb anymore, its just shows this window full of horizontal sliders and starts a HORRRIBLE fucking feedback loop that, if i dont turn my moni's down ASAP, would probably kill me.

SAME shit happens to me...

i can't even load up Neb anymore, its just shows this window full of horizontal sliders and starts a HORRRIBLE fucking feedback loop that, if i dont turn my moni's down ASAP, would probably kill me.

I dont have that, but I know when its about to hang because all the words on the menus disappear and Im left with blank menus, then I know if I click somewhere it will crash.... -_____- I also know when its going to crash when it just doesnt playback any audio, I try to quit, bam, crash.... I think these are some of the reasons you and I experience that Nebula isnt more mainstream nor very popular amongst most people, only the ones who actually want to use it for its benefits use it, I still try to use it a lot but it does get on my nerves

Could be a Mac version thing. I've never had any such problems with it. Had way more instability with other 'mainstream' plugs from Voxengo, Waves etc. Not to mention Cubase itself hung for arbitrary reasons way more often than Nebula gave me any grief.

I'm glad that Steven popped in to give his 2 cents on this matter. I have seen him as a guy that's interested in solving problems with the best possible solutions possible, no matter how much work it takes him/his team to get it right. It does raise suspicions to me why acustica/Alex was analyzing Slate's VCC so closely? It's almost as if someone was analyzing it with the intention to prove something? Very interesting.

I've already identified that we modeled an 8048, 4000G+, 80b, and API.

In what studios? There shouldn't be any harm in publicly releasing the names of the studios with these consoles you used. After that, it wouldn't be too hard to verify with the studio owners/employees whether or not you were there and workng with their consoles...

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I don't have an opinion either way about the whole fiasco. I don't know and don't really care. not really interested in Nebula or VCC, but I saw multiple people ask about the studios these consoles were in.

I <3 Steven Slate.

+&#8734;

Couple moths ago I accidentally deleted the whole partition with more than 300GB of samples,programs and lots of other stuff related to music and music production.Among the deleted files were SSD EX 3.5.I emailed Slate support and in a very short time Slate gave me another chance to download all files(MAC/PC installer,SSD Kontakt files,Wavs and Gogs.)He is always here to support us everytime we need some help!

I've never had any similar Nebula issues. It all works very well, but you have to keep in mind that it taxes your memory A LOT! As well as CPU (but for me this never shows in my DAW, but a behind the scenes thing). So bounce all tracks you don't need in realtime and as Ermz says, only run groups and main mix bus +fx sends in real time. I have no trouble doing this on an i7 running Vista even.

I've tried the VCC demo and compared them to Alex B side by side and even though I preferred working with the VCC 1000 times more than with Nebula, still Alex B's consoles worked better for what I do in terms of sound and felt less "processed" to my ears. My main preference with Nebula is that all the great programs sound very natural, organic and effortless when you listen to them compared to pretty much all other plugin counterparts.

Only piece of evidence I've seen Alex B put up are graphs that show the same anomalies in both the VCC 4k and CLC programs over at the Nebula forum.

meh... i'm with steve. he's been too legit for too long, and fabrice's skills are too hyped. that and (repeating what was said) i could totally see why camp-nebula would be bummed at the instant hype slate has gathered. not to say they're trying to frame anyone, that's just the incentive to... scrutinize.

although, i am curious to try nebula now. primarily due to ermz mixes having a smooth unique character that i always attributed to analogue gear.

Load of shit, fabrice seems pretty confident with his abilities and it would be comemrcial suicide to just copy someone elses work. I think nebula have gone too far with this, and I will never buy their products based on this alone. By the way loving my vcc, can't wait for the final release.

If the "Nebula Camp" would take the time they use for stupid shit like this and use it for actual plug-in development, maybe I could finally get a version of Nebula that has a half-decent UI that doesn't make me want to stick a fork in my eye and that supports Mac and RTAS, they would've gotten another customer of me. With this? Umm, no.

Just so you know that I'm not taking these accusations lightly, I just posted this at KVR.. where AlexB is a regular poster:

"When AlexB first commented on the VCC, he had some very bad things to say, which I found to be very distasteful coming from another plugin developer. You'll notice we had nothing bad to say about any of his software.

We can accept distasteful.

But now that I'm aware of his utterly disgraceful lack of ethics regarding his ludicrous and unfounded implication that we used his library in our development... now we're talking about defamation. And this I take seriously, as it appears that many people here have chosen to accept this claim with serious consideration.. rather then actually investigate it themselves by doing their own research and testing or even by simply using their ears. That issue in itself worries me about the future of this industry, but thats not the focus of this post.

The focus is to showcase a direct letter to AlexB to publicly retract his statement and apologize to us for his extremely deceitful remarks.. OR to present some REAL evidence that shows actual facts that would prove any legitimacy to his statements.

And don't give us any more bullshit about your phase claim which you damn well know is a simple matter of group delay caused by A/D conversion and proves absolutely NOTHING. That may fool a few novices who don't know much about electronics and take a simple graph for the word of the Lord.. but its not going to fool us.

I'm talking about frequency response, harmonic content response, saturation characteristics, CLIPPING characteristics [and you know why this one is really funny to us but I'll hold off on that], or anything else that would show even the slightest bit of similarity.

It really sucks that you have put us in this position, but we're not going to take such a lack of class lightly when it deals with such a serious offense as slander. Hopefully the right thing will be done, and we can finally end the matter once and for all. Then we can both go back to making the best tools we can for musicians."

At this point, I think it's pretty obvious that AlexB has dug himself into a very deep hole. I'm surprised he hasn't admitted his mistake yet. Defamation is a big deal these days, courts take it very seriously. Best of luck, Slate!

Not sure I'm really feeling giancarlo's input on the gearslutz threads either. I'm not understanding what their angle or intent is here at all. They have by far the best sounding piece of audio modeling software currently available (IMO).. I don't understand why they would need to draw such negative publicity towards it. There is no need for them to model a software console emulation. They've already done great modeling the consoles themselves. I really wish they'd elucidate what their goal is, because at the moment it all feels really reactionary and vindictive.

AlexB has answered now

Last post on this page:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301514&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=285

AlessandroBoschi said:
Hello Mr. Slate, I don't have the pleasure to know you, despite you behave in a little polite way with me.

You should directly know the facts before accusing someone, and not only on brought words or exploiting the words.
I don't have time to read the whole topic BUT I mean you what I have written on Acoustics about VCC.

-- "To my ears the VCC plugin has pleasant sound, as ALL plugin it looses dynamics and still with that digital imprint.
It's a nice sounding plugin BUT the only thing that I don't agree is that they claim that it sounds like a console.
It sounds more like a "Voxengo Saturator" than a console."

About frequency response and harmonic contents what I see and hear in the VCC is different from what comes from the console emulated. It's true that not one hardware is identical at the other but here some things are very strange.
--

Are these bad word ? I think NO. It's my impression about VCC. As I have not said that you have used my libraries for your development but "purchased".

About the phase issue I have reported the facts only, what is happened, what I have seen. It's a curious and funny thing.

I'm stop here, sterile, aggressive and disrespectful discussions aren't for me. I have clarified what I have said and I don't have other to add. This marketing war doesn't concern me.

I prefer to make music, release libraries and live my life. Cool

Sorry for my bad english...

interesting. He certainly isn't backing down here. The guy must be pretty confident in his claims........