Nebula iDesk and Slate VCC... WTF?!?

[UEAK]Clowd;9473837 said:
poor slate... i feel like he's one of the more legitimate business owners these days and i also feel like he's constantly getting shit on by stuff like this.

Legitimate business owner? Release a beta publicly...but charge that much money for it? Essentially making people PAY to be his testers? Legitimately shady, if you ask me. :loco:

Hmmm... I was planning on picking up Slate's VCC, but after reading what might have happened, I'm not going to jump on board so quickly. I didn't know Nebula had programs that did what Slate's VCC did! Now I'm very interested in Nebula, but from their website, I'm having difficulty understanding everything it does, and where I can find all the programs for it. ERMZ, can you point me in the right direction? I'd also really enjoy hearing some samples of what it can do. I think I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if it sounds better than Slate's VCC.

Nebula is a great program - it has however for years lacked a viable and informative web presence. While they finally did get around to redesigning the website, it did little to clearly market the product. I've always thought that Giancarlo could do wonders with a little guidance in certain areas as far as presence and marketing go as he really does have a great product. To really understand it's abilities you need to read the Acustica-Audio forums and delve through the various links to other sites offering Nebula libraries. I always found it a bit too, pardon the pun, "nebulus" for me as I tend to prefer things a little more clear and self explanatory, but I do use it from time to time and it's well worth the relatively low cost of admission.

As for this new soap opera between developers - I'll let the chips all fall then decide if I really need a new plugin or if I'm OK with the far too many I already own. These little "reality TV like" dramas that pop up on audio forums sure are funny reads though.

As always - personal opinions and your mileage may vary.

Yep there is a vst version for mac and the AU is in beta. Works really well. I can use loads of it on my dual quad core xeon with little cpu hit.....just latency is a little pain

On a side note this was just posted at KVR.....this is Fabrice right? http://www.myspace.com/fabricegabriel

I'm suspect now with the music on his profile-no comment on the photos!

Hmmm... I was planning on picking up Slate's VCC, but after reading what might have happened, I'm not going to jump on board so quickly. I didn't know Nebula had programs that did what Slate's VCC did! Now I'm very interested in Nebula, but from their website, I'm having difficulty understanding everything it does, and where I can find all the programs for it. ERMZ, can you point me in the right direction? I'd also really enjoy hearing some samples of what it can do. I think I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if it sounds better than Slate's VCC.

Get Nebula Pro 3. Then buy an Alex B console, CD Soundmaster R2R and the tape boaster, FATE compressor, Alex Vintage 73eq, APE Channel EQ and Doc Fear EQ. All in all about 400 euros. With that all you need is a decent surgical EQ (Voxengo Gliss) and maybe an 1176 clone (Waves CLA or if on a budget Stillwell Rocket) and thank me later!

Can someone use this thread as an opportunity to show off Alex B's consoles. Because his demos aren't do anything for me. The whole thing just smells like snake oil at the moment. I'm open to my mind being changed. But all I've ever heard from it in terms of consoles is a bit of an EQ difference.

Wow, that's intense. First of all, I want to say that I'm not taking sides here, because it's impossible for any reasonable person to do so, given the lack of information that's been provided.

I've been in the position where I thought somebody had stolen Recabinet and released a copycat library once before. It turned out that I was wrong, I admitted to it and apologized publicly to the developer of the competing product, and even linked to his site from the Recabinet site for over a year.

This situation, however, is different and far more complex. No evidence has been submitted either way. An obvious smoking gun (if it is possible at all) would be easily reached with null tests, which I've looked all over for and haven't found. Ermz - you say that you like Nebula iDesk better - this implies that it both products may be different, if nothing else, further complicating matters.

There's also a major stumbling point here - AlexB shouldn't have sampled Slate VCC - this damages his case severely. If you take him at his word, he therefore also undermines his own commercial product (not just Slate's), since he's giving away the VCC Nebula presets for free.

This type of matter would have to be dealt with in a court that handles international software copyright law, and it would be a difficult case to prove. It would require a jury that could read source code, and it would require a court order to divulge the source code of both Slate VCC and Nebula.

It is my sincere hope, as a developer myself, and a fan of both Slate and Nebula, that the developers are able to settle this dispute amicably out of court.

Yep there is a vst version for mac and the AU is in beta. Works really well. I can use loads of it on my dual quad core xeon with little cpu hit.....just latency is a little pain

On a side note this was just posted at KVR.....this is Fabrice right? http://www.myspace.com/fabricegabriel

I'm suspect now with the music on his profile-no comment on the photos!

I cant use it on a Mac Pro on Cubase 5, it constantly crashes my sessions... and sometimes no sound playsback you try to save and hangs... its a mess really :/

Can someone use this thread as an opportunity to show off Alex B's consoles. Because his demos aren't do anything for me. The whole thing just smells like snake oil at the moment. I'm open to my mind being changed. But all I've ever heard from it in terms of consoles is a bit of an EQ difference.

I only own the AlexB SSL library and on some mixes the effect is very subtle. On regular computer speakers I can't even hear the difference. On my studio monitors the difference is best described as sounding slightly warmer (the high frequencies are slightly attenuated and the low frequencies are slightly increased). The mix also sounds like it's a little less upfront, maybe because of the effect on the upper frequencies. The SSL console was a clean sounding console anyway so this is not surprising. Some of the AlexB consoles have a much more dramatic impact on the sound.

Yeah you guys wouldn't have caught this but Alex B was quite infuriated on the Nebula boards by the fact that VCC exhibited behavior that indicated it was in some ways emulating his desk programs. He noted that Fabrice bought his desk programs from him some months ago..

Not only is AlexB's claim absolute horseshit, but its technically not possible because of the difference in technology between Nebula and the algorithmic VCC plugin.

Furthermore, there is absolutely NO common traits with the VCC and any of the Alex B consoles in regards to harmonic content, saturation characteristics, crosstalk, frequency response, phase repsonse, and most important.. SOUND.

Fabrice is one of the best DSP coders on this planet, and we have access to the hundreds of the most well maintained consoles right here in Los Angeles. We used proprietary modeling techniques to capture the dynamic response of the real desks.

I encourage AlexB to reveal any type of actual evidence to support his ludicrous claim, which he won't be able to, since again.. its simply not even possible (Giancarlo of Nebula agreed with this as well). But throw away all the technical nonsense and use both plugins with your ears being the judge. They don't similar at all.

Woa... Really does make me regret buying the public beta -_-'

It shouldn't. Nebula cannot reproduce what the VCC does. Stay tuned for a technical explanation.

The Slate crew would go a long way toward exoneration by simply identifying the actual consoles they sampled.
I think that Nebula would have better served their business interest with a trip to the lawyer rather than starting an internet battle

I've already identified that we modeled an 8048, 4000G+, 80b, and API.

Legitimate business owner? Release a beta publicly...but charge that much money for it? Essentially making people PAY to be his testers? Legitimately shady, if you ask me. :loco:

The public beta was requested by HUNDREDS of users. Furthermore, why do you care? We never forced anyone to buy the beta. If you don't want to get the beta, don't get the beta. Its that simple. I find it hard to understand how you consider offering a discounted beta to users who demanded it (and responded very positively!), is not acting legitimate. Please point out the shadyness, I'm all ears.

This is all bullshit.

I thought nebula was some amazing new program (that is not very user friendly) and was needed to run these emulations? So there saying Slates Vcc plugin is doing what Nebula is supposed to do. hmmmmmmmmm.......

Seems to me like Nebula is a big waste of time then if Slate Digital could copy it. :lol:

Thats why its all bullshit.

This situation, however, is different and far more complex. No evidence has been submitted either way. An obvious smoking gun (if it is possible at all) would be easily reached with null tests, which I've looked all over for and haven't found. Ermz - you say that you like Nebula iDesk better - this implies that it both products may be different, if nothing else, further complicating matters.

There's also a major stumbling point here - AlexB shouldn't have sampled Slate VCC - this damages his case severely. If you take him at his word, he therefore also undermines his own commercial product (not just Slate's), since he's giving away the VCC Nebula presets for free.

Hey Shane, that's not quite correct. I have not used their iDesk release, nor will I. I own Alex's full-fledged desk programs, which are the ones I was referring to.

I agree that this whole iDesk concept is a little... juvenile. It feels like they are shooting themselves in the foot. It would make a lot more sense to simply pack Alex's full quality programs into stand-alone units like this and maintain Nebula's 'minimal compromise' approach, at the cost of CPU power, memory etc. Doing this iDesk thing they might bring some pretty bad publicity over to their camp, which is really unfortunate.

drew_drummer said:
Can someone use this thread as an opportunity to show off Alex B's consoles.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Music/Memnoir - The One.mp3

The public beta was requested by HUNDREDS of users. Furthermore, why do you care? We never forced anyone to buy the beta. If you don't want to get the beta, don't get the beta. Its that simple. I find it hard to understand how you consider offering a discounted beta to users who demanded it (and responded very positively!), is not acting legitimate. Please point out the shadyness, I'm all ears.

I'm sorry. But that is my opinion. You make good products, I'm not denying that. I've even learned valuable tips from you in the past about various things. But charging THAT much money for an admitted beta just irks me. I'm a software tester. This is like me paying my company to allow me to test for them. Sorry Steven, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. About this whole who copied who thing, I'm not even getting into it, as I have no interest either way. *edit: removed my last comment. I'll stop here and just let it go...I've said my piece*

I'm not saying you are ignorant Mark.. All I'm saying is that we had hundreds of users request that we release a beta version so we did it.. and those who chose not to participate in it, were not forced to. And again, the response to the public beta has been enthusiastic to say the least.

So if supporting customer demand and making a lot of audio engineers happy makes us, as you said, "not legitimate".. then I'm proud to be the least legitimate mofo in the biz.

I <3 Steven Slate.

This all sounds like a person pissed at a product being better than one he or she may have produced. But, that's just a subjective viewpoint.

Hey Shane, that's not quite correct. I have not used their iDesk release, nor will I. I own Alex's full-fledged desk programs, which are the ones I was referring to.

I agree that this whole iDesk concept is a little... juvenile. It feels like they are shooting themselves in the foot. It would make a lot more sense to simply pack Alex's full quality programs into stand-alone units like this and maintain Nebula's 'minimal compromise' approach, at the cost of CPU power, memory etc. Doing this iDesk thing they might bring some pretty bad publicity over to their camp, which is really unfortunate.

I meant the original AlexB desk programs, not iDesk, my bad, just got confused actually. Either way, it seems that Nebula sounds different. Fabrice has already proven himself with Trigger and FG-X, so his motive to allegedly "steal" somebody else's handiwork seems unlikely at best.

I'm of the mind that it's highly unlikely there was any wrongdoing here by Slate/Fabrice. It's easy to be convinced somebody has stolen your handiwork - especially when there are coincidences involved.

In my case, Recabinet 2.0 leaked to a bunch of piracy forums about 7 days before the competing library came out - with the EXACT SAME cabs/mics and the EXACT SAME informational/marketing copy on the website in some places. It was hard for me to see it any other way, but after some scientific testing, it was clear that there was no possible way my work was stolen, that the competing library sounds substantially different, and that the developer is a totally stand-up guy who's gone on to add more cabinets and other features over time.

I can't totally fault AlexB for thinking his work was stolen, given the odd coincidences (again, I made a similar mistake) but he needs to kill the iDesk thing ASAP. Even if he's right, two wrongs don't make a right.

Agreed. I can't really see anything good coming of this, and I really don't understand what the goal was behind doing this at all, other than trying to undermine the launch of VCC. I don't really understand what's going on over in the Nebula camp a lot of the time, but it's at odds with them having developed one of the best sounding pieces of software I've ever heard.

Perhaps its agitation at the fact that Nebula has had console saturation programs for years, whereas VCC has exploded onto the market with a lot more promotional power, and some people seem to be under the mistaken impression that it's the only plug-in on the market that can do this sort of thing.