Need a corset for PP?????

The only time I've had chafing with a corset was the cheap off-the-rack kind made with plastic boning - laced too tightly, they bend and poke. I don't usually need to wear anything under a corset, although I will this year, because the back rises to a slightly awkward spot and it'll chafe my shoulderblades without a shirt. (plus anyone over six feet tall would be able to see straight down to my sternum...)

That is one scary corset. XD

The one I have kind of rubbed my hips raw in places last year. But I'm going to wear it again this year, anyway. :D

Joan - you might be way too small for them, but i have some corsets that you are more than welcome to try on/borrow for the fest, if you want? i can bring them to PP and you can try them on. just a thought :)

Joan - you might be way too small for them, but i have some corsets that you are more than welcome to try on/borrow for the fest, if you want? i can bring them to PP and you can try them on. just a thought :)

I'm down. :D

Though I do like the corset I wore last year. Part of the reason it may have rubbed at me is because it wasn't made for me, it was actually made for my mom. Her hips are slightly smaller than mine.

I would love to get one for progpower. I've never owned a real corset before, only the premade kind you can buy at hot topic, etc. But you put steel in them? What would you recommend that doesn't hurt like hell? My breasts are barely a B, so I don't really need that much support, and since I'm going to be at an outdoor festival, I would like to have some freedom of movement (and breath!). Also, I'm a size 4, so I don't really see myself needing to shrink my waist down very much, but you're the expert, so you probably know what to do anyway. Where's your website?

Steel is much more comfortable than plastic. Plastic bends and winds up jabbing you, eventually. Steel holds it's shape, so it's comfortable.

spiral steel boning moves in all directions but still supports well...very good for a first time corset wearer.....Having a web site made but it will be up soon....as I put earlier as soon as I get a few samples done I am going to post pics...have a couple almost completed (just need to put the boning in) Hard to see how they will actually look without it....

But when singing, you aren't supposed to breathe through your chest, you're supposed to breathe from the diaphragm. Which, as you've already noted, is being squeezed by the corset. If you cannot breathe into your diaphragm, you are not filling your lungs fully, which is what you need to support the voice when singing. Chest breathing is incorrect, and a learned behavior. If you watch babies while they sleep, they breathe into their diaphragm. Most people do as well when laying flat on their back. A corset restricts this, and as far as I can tell, promotes improper breathing, which is a hinderance to singing, not a help.

Which is why I'm always surprised when anyone is able to sing while wearing a corset.

As I stated above, you have to learn how to work with it. Didn't say it was proper, but it does force a diaphragm support, when you're trying to relieve pressure off the deep back muscles. The few times I've felt the urge to sing in a corset, I found it easier to do because my head wasn't focusing on my abdomen.

You're right, it is improper breathing to breathe from the chest. A corset is indeed restrictive. I think the reason I'm able to sing with a corset is because I've become used to tight-lacing. I'm not a daily tight-lacer (not anymore..) but I'm willing to bet I've shifted my organs a bit.

What she said, with the getting used to factor.