Need a new computer!

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
Okay. I want a new computer. I got a 1000€ budget. I have absolutely no clue about hardware, what's needed, what's good.

I want it to be fast (really.). I want to connect two monitors. it needs firewire and a lot of usb inputs (using a Edirol 101 firewire interface). one small (250gb or something) and one big (upto 1tb) harddrive that are fast. I'm not going to use it for games (it's for audio, internet and writing stuff ;)). w-lan would be great.

should I go 64 or 32bit? I'm scared that a lot of my stuff wont work with 64bit. Should be Intel. At least I've read that it's better for audio than AMD.

if someone from germany is into this stuff it would be great to link me to a shop where I can get my recommended hardware together.

thanks in advance.

Maybe a second hand Mac?

I'm not going for a mac because a lot oft software I use (not just for audio) will not work with it. so it's pretty much a no-go right now. I think I will get a much faster PC for that money.

And let's say 1000€ is the budget I could spend... it doesn't need to cost 1000€ :D

emd, I recently got a dell xps studio 8000 with the i7 860 intel chip and it's a great machine, it leaves my old dual core pc for dead, extremely fast and handles as many plugins as i can throw at it. Was 800 euro.

emd, I recently got a dell xps studio 8000 with the i7 860 intel chip and it's a great machine, it leaves my old dual core pc for dead, extremely fast and handles as many plugins as i can throw at it. Was 800 euro.

it's 750 right now. looks good. could I get the same specs for save money if I would put the computer together instead of getting a dell?

thanks for the link. to be honest: I wouldn't even know what kind of mainboard I would need. :( I really don't know how to built a computer by myself. If someone would be so kind and put one together that fits my needs it would be really appreciatet.

ah and someone told me I should wait to get a computer until january because some new processors will come out and the price for the i7 will drop. do you know if that's right and I should wait??

is it possible to downgrade from 64bit to 32bit windows 7?

You would have to get the 32 bit version and replace the 64 bit version with it... but why?

Where is the point in getting 4+ gigs of ram when you can only use 3, something gigs due to 32 bit restrictions.

You can use 32 bit software on 64 bit systems. I just made the switch to Win 7 x64 and the only thing that's not working is Pro Tools. But that's another story completely... :rolleyes:

You could also set-up a multiboot with a second OS.

ah and someone told me I should wait to get a computer until january because some new processors will come out and the price for the i7 will drop. do you know if that's right and I should wait??

New 6-core processors are apparently to drop in the first quarter of 2010.

That could be january, that could be march... but maybe they get pushed back further. That's always the problem with the short lifecycles of PC hardware.