need advice for buying equipment to play black metal

The-Spocker

New Metal Member
Dec 1, 2010
Hey.

I need some advise of what gear I should pick for get the right guitar sound.

I already picked out this Kerry King Wartribe guitar. Its nice isn't it?
http://www.bcrich.com/kerryking/guitar_wartribe.php

Feel free to comment the guitar, cause I don't know if it has the right pickups for my style of music.

The main issue I have, don't know what amp I should pick and effect pedals needed.

The guitar sound I'm looking for is a mix of something like:

Old mans child, Revelation 666: Curse of damnation album
And
Dimmu Borgir - In Death Embrace from Enthrone Darkness Triumphant album.

Maybe a little more 'angry' sound, but still keep a sound around the late 90's.

Thanks.

Unless you're absolutely sold on the Wartribe body style, I would explore some other options. The pickups will be the weak link, but I'd also be a little hesitant to buy anything with the Kahler bridge. Not that they aren't good, but if you run into problems with it, I'd bet that a lot of shops don't carry parts and a lot of techs probably have zero experience working on them.

I'm partial to Jackson guitars myself, and would suggest finding a used WRMG or new WRXT to stay in your price range. The body shape is about as close as you're going to find outside of BC Rich, the trems on both models are more of an industry-standard type, and the WRMG will have EMG pickups. You might also look into the LTD AX-series if the body style is a major factor, but I've never tried one myself.

As far as amps and effects, it depends entirely on your budget. I get great black metal and death metal tones out of a Peavey XXL with a Boss ME-50 for effects; I've gigged with this setup and it's really suited toward that type of sound. You could also do well with a number of other Peavey amps, as well as Randall. Line 6's amps are really digital modelers that copy the tones of other amps. They work for some styles, but I have yet to hear a black metal or death metal band get a good tone from them in a live environment. For just jamming in your bedroom, they are fine, but since you are after a very specific guitar sound, I wouldn't recommend a modeler. Their effects, however, are very good.

I personally enjoy the tones of Peavy 6505 for tube amps and Marshall MG100RCD for solid state, though they don't make the marshall anymore you may be able to find one used real cheap. The peavy will cost you but it's worth it.

Thanks for the replies.

I have also done some research and found out that maybe a ESP EX-360 guitar is suited for my use.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex-ltd.html (the second one listed).

It got EMG pickups. And the neck shape and width is pretty similar to my old el-guitar.

Thanks for the suggestions about the amps and effects.

I can duplicate the Dimmu/Old Mans Child sound with my rig. took me a few years to get it right.

what i got:

B.C. Rich Beast NJ with EMG 81's - sounds wicked :headbang:
Fryette SigX 100watt/all tube 3-Channel Amp :worship:

Korg AX1500g modelling effects processor - has the best metal distortion to achieve the Dimmu sound easily and tons of settings to adjust the sounds/levels/effects/ect. You can also get pretty well any AX model with the same metal distortion ( ax4, ax1000g, ax3000g).

i have a few other B.C. Rich electrics and swear by them:kickass:
The Beast is my main guitar though.

hope this helps!

You can have a crappy guitar that screams, what matters is pickups & the electronics. Look at guitars with EMGs, MEC...I would go with double bucks, but it just depends on what you like, go to a shop and try out guitars.
Unles you totally dig the body style, you don't need something like that to play ANY kind of metal..if you're just starting out, start with what you can afford cos that BC Rich looks $$$$$$$.....

Anyways, IMO, the ESP is better than the BC...might even be cheaper. Mahogany is a nice wood. Double bucks...personally I like the top one, trans black & the Floyd...

As for that crappy looking guitar, lol...(my favorite of Saku's spears, this one LOOKS like a spear)
4026744005_76099a7a6e.jpg