Need advice on my mixes

otero1st

Feb 26, 2013
SanSe
First of all, english isn't my native language so i'm sorry for my possibles mistakes. I'll try to explain my trouble the more clear that I can.

I love record and mix metal songs. Since I got addicted to this world, I have received many rewards but also many headaches, especially lately.
When I belive that I do the things better, I keep receiving criticism of my mixes sound so harsh when sound fine to me(these criticisms are correct, I'm afraid). Curiously and because of my job, I've lost a minimum of hearing in the high frequencies, which is why I guess I make this mistake. Well, can you give me some advices to solve this problem, please? Do I try with EQing basing on spectral analyzer or something like that? How I due EQing? Is EQ the problem?

Here is an example:

What kind of problems/errors/mistakes/shit you listen here?

Thank you so much in advance people, I love this forum and I learn something new every day.

Saludos!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try match eqing slightly to some of your more favorite mixes and see where its creating the dips and be more self concious when boosting in those areas. Or mix on ns10s.

Thank you all for your answers, mates!. I have taken your advice. I remixed from the beginning with a AILD song as a reference, a spectral analyzer and with my monitor headphones and this is the result (Obviously it's much improved, but if I can get away from my previous sound and go in the right direction for now I'll settle). Am I getting closer? Is there anything else I can do in your opinion?

My opinion, your mix has a lot of compresion ¡¡¡¡
Eres de España?

Si, soy de Madrid! :kickass:

I'm only on laptop speakers now but it still sounds a bit harsh and bright.

Are you boosting a crazy amount of high end?!

Nop :cry:. I just put a HP in the Master Out rught now to see if I improve. Like what you see? (I'm going crazy)

Ok just checked this on monitors. You may be lacking low end which is making your high end seem worse than it really is. How high are you HPing the master?

Still might be a tad on the bright side but you're pretty close and this can be a killer mix!

Ok just checked this on monitors. You may be lacking low end which is making your high end seem worse than it really is. How high are you HPing the master?

Still might be a tad on the bright side but you're pretty close and this can be a killer mix!

Thank for your time, man, means a lot for me, seriously!

The HP: 22k, 0.71Q, 18 dB.

I reEQ the HH and the OH in case they had something to do with the problem.

EDIT: Sorry, man I now understand right now what you meant with "You may be lacking low end Which is making your high end seem worse than it really is." My English is horrible and google translator doesn´t help :rofl:. Wonderful advice, it had not fallen on it. Once again, many thanks for your help, dude!!!

That's much better, but I still hear a bit of scratchiness in the guitars. What do you have your guitars/guitar bus LP'd at?

Maybe bring the bass guitar up a tad.

I HP (maybe doesn´t enough) both guitars separately, not in the bus. Bad move? On the bus I have only one Satson Buss and BBE Sonic Maximizer

It may sound harsh, but excruciating? Really?

Thanks for the tips, guys, will be the next thing I´ll try!!!

Sorry man. I'm a complete dumbass. I confused HP and LP being something basic. Thanks again for your help.

It's cool, I used to do it almost every time I set up an EQ in Reaper when I just learned what HP/LP were and I'd constantly click a band and choose the wrong filter!

But yeah, those guitars are a bit shrill in the top end.

IMO, guitars still sound a little harsh around the 4k region. Maybe cut 2dB there, and boost 2dB around 5-7k according to taste.

In the past, I mixed too loud and too harsh and got temporary ear fatigue in the 2k to 5k region, especially around 4k. That's also where the ears are most sensitive according to the Fletcher-Munson curve.