Need Analog Console / Daw Controller recommendations please!

derekmoffat

608 STUDIOS
Dec 4, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,
I've done extensive research to try to find the perfect analog conosle / daw controller to get the best of both worlds and I haven't really had any luck. The closest thing that I could find that is SOMEWHAT in my budget is the Allen & Heath GS-R24m

http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=GSSeries&ProductId=GSR24

Allen-Heath-GSR24M.jpg

This thing is amazing.. and I really want something like this.
- Motorized faders
- 24 pres + eqs (at least 24)
- daw control/transport section
- meter bridge (and VUs but not a necessity)

It's like half the price of the SSL matrix, which is also like exactly what I'm looking for.
So my question.. is there anything else out there that costs less than $9,500?
I'm not really interested in 16 channels or less, and I don't want a console that has the inputs on the top (like the zed r-16 for example). I don't want a bunch of xlr and trs cables sticking out of the top of my console. I want that hidden haha.

I'm really tempted to get the A&H this year.. but 10k is a lot of frickin money ha.

Thanks dudes.

Looks badass!!! Try to convince yourself you do not need it...and if you fail...then splurge!:D

I'm very seriously thinking about getting one of those babies too! It is steep, but there's a lot of bang for the buck here. I think there's one fairly serious drawback - at least for me - with these desks, but I can't remember what it is... Something to do with config or signal path limitations or something. Wait, maybe it's because you have to buy the gd powersupply separate? I don't know... Taking my wife to the Olympics in London this summer, so if I don't get too crazy in Europe I really may get this thing.

The much cheaper option is the older verison of this one, the GS3000. No motors or DAW control, though.

I guess these finally made it to the street? I was really excited about them when they first showed up at NAMM (2010) but they took so long I figured it was vaporware. Honestly $10k for the level of functionality promised is a bargain.

I guess these finally made it to the street? I was really excited about them when they first showed up at NAMM (2010) but they took so long I figured it was vaporware. Honestly $10k for the level of functionality promised is a bargain.

Yeah I agree. This is such a good deal. But I'm just trying to keep my options open, if there even are any in my case, considering this is my largest investment into my studio yet.

Does anyone know of something like this that's lower in cost than this one, or is this the most inexpensive analog console / daw controller currently on the market?

(And I'm running Cubase)

Nothing offers the functionality of the GSR24M in it's price range, if I had the cash I'd be all over one of these, but for now my Zed R16 will have to do :)