Need external harddrive help, several questions....

melovine

Feb 10, 2009
'm in the market for an external hard drive, i'm looking for a 500g+ firewire 800 with 7200rpm hopefully. Any suggestions?

Im running Logic 8, and just purchased superior drummer 2.0 and running this all on my macbook pro. which leads me to my next question...

can i run superior drummer, and other plugins on my (soon to own) external drive? im trying to save as much room on my internal drive as possible. I have been told its best to run Logic on the actually internal drive though and just to save files to the external. correct me if any of this is wrong.

thanks guys! really looking forward to your awnsers!

:headbang:jon

thanks for the OWC suggestion i think i might go with that....

any suggestions on how to run superior drummer and my plugins?

honestly... don't waste your money on externals unless you are using them strictly for backing up. I've talked to many computer guys and the best route to go is to get multiple internal drives, they're cheaper, faster, more reliable, and have a faster data transfer rate than any external ever will... the best way to set up is like this: Get a small REALLY nice internal HD to have just your operating system and program files loaded on, nothing more than a 500g; next get a 500g or higher internal HD to save all your documents, project files, etc on, I would recommend Western Digital as they've had a good track record, especially lately, and the lowest quality I would go for with WD is the caviar black (i got a 500g for under $60), stay clear of the caviar blue, and NEVER buy a seagate as lately they've been having tons of problems with their drives. At this point if you want to grab an external go for it, but only for backup purposes

Guys, he's using a Macbook Pro, so a bunch of internal drives are not an option.

Internal drives are also not really an option for those of us who work in multiple studios and need to take sessions back and forth.