need help for a college assignment....

Susperia said:
I wrote a paper on the conversion from Paganism to Christianity in Norway two years ago, it included stuff about Burzum, Bathory and the recent Church burnings. My teacher loved it so much he said I should try and get it published. :|

what does bathory have to do with norway or church burnings

Bathory was one of the founding fathers and cornerstones that shaped the ideology of the key members of the Norwegian Black Metal movement.

Spectacular Views said:
everyone in your class obviously already thinks youre a twat anyway

Like you then. And whats the problem being the 'weirdo' better than following everyone else like a fucking douche. When people copy me in anyway I want to fucking smack them.

You definitely should tell about history of metal, and about the connection between metal and culture.

We were having an on-the-spot-presentation competition (yes, as strange as it may sound) in communicative skills class almost a week ago, and I was the first one to nominate myself being interested and prepared. (I like stages for some reason).

I described metal and the various metal sub-genres we have, including the basic introduction of what it sounds like and what the pioneer bands are for each genre. I didn't have any 'media' to describe the differences in vocals that I was talking about, so I did some black and death vocals myself in front of everyone. Now do note that half of the people it was being presented it didn't know what metal IS, so the growling and shrieking freaked them out quite a bit :lol: Can't say it was one of my worse attempts.. to be honest it was the most fun I had while delivering something in public :)

Susperia said:
I wrote a paper on the conversion from Paganism to Christianity in Norway two years ago, it included stuff about Burzum, Bathory and the recent Church burnings. My teacher loved it so much he said I should try and get it published. :|

Can I see that paper? Or could you link to some related pages online? :)

just stand up and talk abut metal...not a set topic or sect of metal just try to juxtapose different topics so it makes some sense and have it go for ten minutes like an ADD type speech...start talking about metal and mention a band go on about that band until you reach a genre then that genre will reach a time period in metal history talk about that until you hit another genre or band

Authentic Metalhead said:
I'm doing a critique on Blind Guardian in Media tomorrow, so I'm hoping to shatter the misconceptions that my classmates have about metal. The opening line is "when you think of heavy metal, you probably think of "[growling noise] worship Satan" and all those cliche disputes."

..."I'm here to dispel all that Satan worship and cliche in metal crap. Anyway - Blind Guardian write about middle earth, dragons and swords..." :rolleyes:

My freshman year a mallgoth in my class did a presentation on death metal (which surprised me coming from a mallgoth) but of course he was ignorant about the genre and included Mayhem (and their whole back story). It was pretty amusing to look at everybody's faces after he explained Euronymous (supposedly) cooking Dead's brains in a stew.

Kreator/Destroyer said:
just stand up and talk abut metal...not a set topic or sect of metal just try to juxtapose different topics so it makes some sense and have it go for ten minutes like an ADD type speech...start talking about metal and mention a band go on about that band until you reach a genre then that genre will reach a time period in metal history talk about that until you hit another genre or band
I really doubt that this would result in any sort of acceptible grade. In college everyone always wants you to be making arguments and being persuasive. That should be some element of whatever you choose to speak about.

I've made teh speech to many of my freinds, and it goes something like this.
I start with Sabbath, go to Priest and Maiden, hair metal, thrash, underground sub-genres (death, black, etc.), go to nu-metal after talking about Anthrax's Bring the Noise, and go into underground sub-genres again in the 90's, then to metalcore, and again to undergound.

>>>>>>..."I'm here to dispel all that Satan worship and cliche in metal crap. Anyway - Blind Guardian write about middle earth, dragons and swords..."

LMAO!!!! Hahahaha....that's hysterical!

As far as suggestions...maybe highlight different bands that might appeal to people who like different types of music. Like...Nightwish would appeal to people who like opera vocals. Therion might appeal to people who like symphonies. Etc etc...

So this way, people who wouldn't normally be interested in metal, might find a sub genre that they are interested in.

This is starting to sound like the documentary Metal: A Headbangers Jounrey, i don't know if people are familiar with it or not, but the guy bascially talks about origins, fans, religion, and sexuality(there are other topics but they escape me right now) and in the bonus disc he goes through the metal tree giving a little blurp about most sub-genre's, and based upon what you have to do, sounds like it would be of some help.

i dont know if im going to go into death metal as much as i love it... but maybe 1/4 of it should be the history of sabbath then go into the pioneer metal bands...zeppelin(debatable), priest, motorhead, maiden, metallica (while wearing a puppets shirt) then maybe list a bunch of genres and how the main bands started it all..

btw its a 10 min speech heh

MasterOLightning said:
I really doubt that this would result in any sort of acceptible grade. In college everyone always wants you to be making arguments and being persuasive. That should be some element of whatever you choose to speak about.

well i got two years til college so...