need help major problem with cubase corrupting my files its driving me insane

deftones769

Aug 19, 2011
hey guys how you doin
im having a major problem with cubase 5 the problem is that my projects seemed to be getting corrupted or something as whenever i mix down my projects there not as crisp and stereo sounding as they sound in cubase they always turn out dull 2d like kinda like someone put a blanket over the song the volume also decreases too now this has nothing to do with how im mixing the song as i am mixing it fine and using my limiter all perfectly normal on the 2 buss (no clippping whatsoever too) and all effects are all good including on the 2buss it just seems that cubase is making my files sound like shit when i mix then down its weird. ive read on forums that other people are getting this with cubase too and its driving me insane as i can hear that my songs would sound good if this stupid effect was taking place when i mixdown my songs. when i export my project the settings are all fine too im mixing down to 16 bit 44k or whatever the normal rate is so thats all fine its has something to do with cubase thats doing it if anyone else has experienced some advice would be greatly appriecated as i am getting really frustrated cheers guys

On the top of my head, I see two things that could be the problem:

1- Bad VST plugin(s) (some of them doesn't play well with offline rendering)
2- You record on 24bit but render to 16bit, right? Do you apply any dithering? Very important when playing with bitrates.

Have you ever tried to reimport the mixdown in Cubase and do a phase-cancelation test? You would hear all what you're losing, and maybe find the culprit.

And... I couldn't help myself but think... Damn have you ever heard of punctuation? :p

This is normal for every DAW, it's to do with digital summing and your bounce calculation. If your session is recorded at a higher sample and bit rate than 44.1KHz 16 bit then you will obviously be reducing the quality during your bounce calculation. This is easily fixed, work at 44.1KHz and 16 Bit. Dither is important, but this only effects quiet sound sources, where your amplitude moves between a representation of 0 and 1 bit (I think lol). A dither applies a fine layer of noise to keep your amplitude above this threshold.

Digital summing is often bashed by gear sluts, if you are terribly worried about digital summing buy an analog summing mixer.

Folkrav also has a good point, some plugin parameters are not always calculated correctly with offline bounce, hence why Pro Tools bounces in realtime (And optional in the soon to be released Pro Tools 11). This seems unlikely as a loss in quality during bounce for any DAW is fairly normal, especially if you recorded at 48KHz 24 bit.

I would recommend you to use this: "," and this: "." when you write longer sentences. I may sound like a total douche but if I were you I would change to Reaper. I've tried both and Cubase feels so much more tedious to use, Reaper is also somewhat free.

Sorry guys about the punctuation lol. I think I might have found but I downloaded a torrent off the Internet which is soninum satson. and I think that might of been the culprit it was kinda corrupting my files I think. does this sound normal to you guys

I got rid of that software and bought it yesterday all the other software I have is bought by me. as I too believe that it is wrong to endorse in pirate software but I am still having the problem where cubase is clouding my sound after even trying every you guys have told me. It's driving me mad aye

Honestly, I've never seen that happen. There probably is something you did wrong with either the project settings, a bad plugin or a bad configuration. It shouldn't do that.

Your Cubase is up to date?

As I said there isn't a lot you can do, it is normal to suffer loss of quality during the render / bounce calculation. An analog summing mixer could improve things but you would still suffer quality loss during bounce. I don't know much about Cubase, if you feel unhappy with the calculation it's using try another DAW, I always recommend Pro Tools 10 LE. Still, I would recommend researching this topic as there is a lot of information, I hate to ask a stupid question, but you are bouncing an interleaved .WAV file?

Yer I mix down to wave file I tried reaper and it works fine but reaper is very awkward to use. Is there any way in reaper to make the volume meters bigger if anyone knows that would be great. I'm still confused about why cubase would stuff up but reaper doesent. I even restarted cubase to factory default and still nothing so idno I'm one confused little boy ATM

Are you using dither?
Are you using third party plugins? Do they support offline bounce?? (Try exporting audio only using the standard cubase plugins).

Yer tried all that man :( if you search up on google cubase poor mix down heaps of stuff comes up. So there def other people out there getting it to

Buy another DAW? I don't know what else to suggest! You are using a very old version of Cubase! Surely there are not bounce issues with cubase 5, other people who use cubase on this forum may be able to help?
I don't know much about cubase, we stopped supporting it a long time ago!
We stopped purchasing Cubase after version 5, I know there were a few issues regarding VST's at work once we upgraded to version 5.0 to 5.5 (Over 45 workstations), we now only deal exclusively with Pro Tools after that unresolved incident.