Need Help With My Band's Name

Which name do you like better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
anonymousnick2001 said:
As for updates, the other people in the band are liking Ethereal Darkness for some reason. Probably because it sounds all "dark" and "metal".

Maybe this will help sway them...

1) The name "Ethereal Darkness" has already been used by at least one band, probably more. If you're planning on getting serious, this could be a problem. That name is one that's very easy for anyone to come up with, likely creating conflicts, and possibly even legal battles, throughout your band's entire existence.

2) The name has already been used by a game development company... and they have already used the domain name etherealdarkness.com. Maybe you're not that far yet in your band developmenet, but it's something to think about. You will never be able to have your own .com domain... you'd have to use a different tld.

3) Maybe it's just me, but that name does not sound like a metal band. The name "Ethereal Darkness" sounds like a goth band name. First impression is very important... and with a name like "Ethereal Darkness", that's what the first impression will be. With a name like "Tikdoshe", the first impression is going to be "What the hell is a Tikdoshe??". And if you ask me, that's the kind of impression you want... the kind that gets people curious.

ADS said:
Maybe this will help sway them...

3) Maybe it's just me, but that name does not sound like a metal band. The name "Ethereal Darkness" sounds like a goth band name. First impression is very important... and with a name like "Ethereal Darkness", that's what the first impression will be. With a name like "Tikdoshe", the first impression is going to be "What the hell is a Tikdoshe??". And if you ask me, that's the kind of impression you want... the kind that gets people curious.
Yeah, what he said.

EphelDuath said:
The Assholes Would Be Wiser! :)
Sounds like a garage band name.

ADS said:
1) The name "Ethereal Darkness" has already been used by at least one band, probably more. If you're planning on getting serious, this could be a problem. That name is one that's very easy for anyone to come up with, likely creating conflicts, and possibly even legal battles, throughout your band's entire existence.

2) The name has already been used by a game development company... and they have already used the domain name etherealdarkness.com. Maybe you're not that far yet in your band developmenet, but it's something to think about. You will never be able to have your own .com domain... you'd have to use a different tld.

Agreed on all counts. Thanks.

lord667 said:
I'd be more inclined to check out Tikdoshe than Ethereal Darkness.
I would too. Really. :)

It seems like no one in the band likes either name now after reading the thread.

I must do some more searching.

You know what, me too...but the other guys really don't like it.

I've come up with a list of twelve or so other names. Too bad, because some of them sound kinda power-metalish or prog-rocky, and I don't mind that at all. It's just that we'll probably never play wither of those styles, which I like.

anonymousnick2001 said:
You know what, me too...but the other guys really don't like it.

I've come up with a list of twelve or so other names. Too bad, because some of them sound kinda power-metalish or prog-rocky, and I don't mind that at all. It's just that we'll probably never play wither of those styles, which I like.
Wow you got 12 names. I have two ideas and one of them I didnt even think of

evil.gif

Evil to the Power of 666

I feel your pain. My band doesn't even have a name because of the complications. I came up with the name Exegesis, but turns out more than half the band can't even pronounce the fucking thing. So we scrapped it, so we're pretty much nameless.

Band names are a bitch. I've had to name 3 bands in as many months. So far I've got "Infinite Abyss" for the black metal band, "Desecrated Purity" for the death/thrash band, and the new band is still unnamed.

Actually, we narrowed down our list down to five or so new candidates:

Arenas Eternas

Rowan Treefolk

Riverden

Akash Armati

Amber Prison

I'll venture some "first impressions" on those names.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Arenas Eternas

Dark Art Fag, a la Vintersorg. This band lack the vision to make interesting or powerful contributions to Gothic art but are too full of themselves to just give in and rock out.

Rowan Treefolk

Very Celticky and New Agey. I like that stuff, but the band who bear this name probably wear pleather Renaissance gear and wish they were Skyclad.

Not a bad name. I'd check them out.

Akash Armati

I don't know what it means. I'd be wary, in case it turns out to be a case of "hey guys, I just had my first sitar lesson, let's start a Vedic Metal band!", but I'd probably give them a spin.

Amber Prison

Not very enticing, but not particularly repulsive either. Sounds like the kind of band who get advertised in the "Also Available" space on a full-page advert, next to 39 Times The Pain and a bunch of other soon-to-be-also-rans.