Need new soundcard for recording, help please

Feanor IV

Jan 22, 2002
Athens, Greece
www.metal-realm.com
Hi there,

I need a new soundcard, I want something up to 500euros list price. Any good ideas? I'd like the best I can get for recording on my PC. Hopefully it can have a real microphone in, with 3 pin female................ Any recommendations?

audigy sound blaster. thats what i use and thats what everyone reccomends. i cant say anything but great things about it
~gR~

yes, supposedly they have a good signal-to-noise ratio. but the A/D D/A converters are a bit noisy. all the RCA ins/outs were annoying too. had to pick up more cables/converters.

how many simulataneous tracks do you see yourself needing? what kind of stuff are you recording?

I wouldn't recommend the creative cards. The software support is awful (atleast after the card is of the market)l. Try M-audio instead. You get 24 bits and 96 kHz with any one of them.

The SB Audigy is actually a great sound card for say an audio buff who wants to really get great sound from his computer, but it is not designed for a musician. It's not a horrible card for recording and will work good for the money, but their aren't many low cost cards out there for recording. Turtle Beach used to own that market, but doesn't really offer anything for the home recorder anymore. : /
My personal suggestion is to try and get one of the white-box special Audigy cards and give it a whirl. In the US, they can be bought for under $60. If it doesn't make you happy, you can probably get half of your money back by selling it and concentrate on one of the higher priced cards.

Bryant

Prophetix said:
FUCK CREATIVE AUDIGY DONT GET IT.. Dont get anything from creative for recording! If you want a real sound card get anything from this company, see what suits you.. http://www.rme-audio.de/

with €500 you get no a/d d/a converter....just the 2 x 8 I/O ADAT, so you have to add at least a Fostex VC8 20 bit 48 khz converter which costs around €250....and also no midi in/out.

I suggest to look at Echo audio products, I have a Layla (which is quite out of your budget) but there's also something cheaper (Gina, Mona)...

I've heard no complain from Terratec products...

cheers :D