Need Opinion on Metal mix !!!!

Thick mix.. i like it a lot!

kick drum sounds just fine, you dont really hear when you're not trying to hear the kick, but it's there and compliments the mix just fine.

listening to easier parts with just guitars and hihats, maybe the whole mix is compressed just a bit too much.. you can really hear the compression at work at these moments.

I still love that bass you have going on.. really thick as well.. how low can that bass go?

thx for the comment bob !! yeah i think your right about the compress thing . .. i need to figure that out but thx about mentioning it !! so i won't forget.

the bass is the 6 string bass from edirol super quartet !

It's a pretty cool tune, but it sounds like you've got a compressor in the master chain that's working a little too hard. The entire mix "pumps" too much. Back down the compression a little until the pumping stops. Just mess around with it...
the guitar tone is pretty cool and has a nice lowend to them, but I personally think they sound a bit too scooped. i'd like some more mids in ther to make them sound fuller and meaner.

Just my two cents...

Man it sounds awesome! I agree with the compression issue, but it's not bad. It's just a little subtle feeling of excesive pumping that you mind wanna correct. But I love it! the tune is brutal man. The low end is a fucking freight train! The open Hi Hat on minute 1:14 may be a tad too high. The guitar tone is cool as hell. How did you make it?

I'm listening on a crappy soundcard atm so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds like the bass is sticking out way more when it goes to higher notes. I think it could use some distortion and limiting to get it to sit right.

Jackal_Strain said:
It's a pretty cool tune, but it sounds like you've got a compressor in the master chain that's working a little too hard. The entire mix "pumps" too much. Back down the compression a little until the pumping stops. Just mess around with it...
the guitar tone is pretty cool and has a nice lowend to them, but I personally think they sound a bit too scooped. i'd like some more mids in ther to make them sound fuller and meaner.

Just my two cents...

thx !! as i said, im going to work with the compressor thing.
about the scoop and the mid, doesnt scooping is already adding mid ? or should i cut some mid off ? could you mayby tellme wich hz ? thx.

gumplunger said:
I'm listening on a crappy soundcard atm so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds like the bass is sticking out way more when it goes to higher notes. I think it could use some distortion and limiting to get it to sit right.

when he bass hits higher notes it sticks out that's correct.
but i don't know how to put distorsion on it. it's a vst instrument.
any plugin recommend ?

Mendel said:
thx !! as i said, im going to work with the compressor thing.
about the scoop and the mid, doesnt scooping is already adding mid ? or should i cut some mid off ? could you mayby tellme wich hz ? thx.
That didn't make much sense, but he's telling you that you need more mids in the guitars.

Lord Lurion said:
Man it sounds awesome! I agree with the compression issue, but it's not bad. It's just a little subtle feeling of excesive pumping that you mind wanna correct. But I love it! the tune is brutal man. The low end is a fucking freight train! The open Hi Hat on minute 1:14 may be a tad too high. The guitar tone is cool as hell. How did you make it?

the tone is from my podxt with a own patch !

thx for the hin about the hi hat !!

Mendel said:
when he bass hits higher notes it sticks out that's correct.
but i don't know how to put distorsion on it. it's a vst instrument.
any plugin recommend ?
Amplitube will do the trick if you've got nothing else. I've heard people use Amp Farm for the same purpose, and that seems to work. But to keep the bass from sticking out on the high notes, you need to compress it with a high ratio, or use a limiter.

1st - the gallop riff at 1:16 has me throwing the horns... that rocks. :headbang:

As far as my suggestions on other things to try:

- It's hard to evaluate a "mix" when it's been crushed to death by so-called mastering tools. Of course everyone does it differently, but you shouldn't mix into a mastering compressor like an L2 or whatever... Go ahead and mix into a 2-buss compressor and knock a few db off but let the final level be set after the mastering engineer tweaks the EQ.

- That said, the low end is pounding. The bass and kick drum really speak out - and you've got a nice beater click on the kick drum, too.

- However, the whole middle & top end of the tune is missing. I think this is primarily due to your use of a mastering limiter. As you can see in the graphics, your low end is the only thing triggering the limiter.

mgbullet-peak.JPG

mgbullet-rms.JPG

- I'd go back to your mix (before it hits the uber-crusher you have on the output buss) and roll off some of your low end. You've got as much 40 & 50hz energy as you do 60-80hz and the big round part of the kick drum is more in that 60-80 range. If you hi-pass the kick & the bass guitar at 60hz it should really make the mix more clear. You can get this right and still have the same sound on the low end as you do now, but the other instruments will come forward and won't be playing "second fiddle" to the low end.

- Also - dial in some mids on the guitars. Boost a narrow Q starting at 600hz and sweep it around up thru 800hz. That's where the meat of the guitar lives and your mix doesn't have any of it in there. I'd also keep in mind next time you're tracking guitars (cuz I doubt you wanna re-track this one from the start) to pull the pre-gain down lower than your regular live sound. Once you stack four or six of the same gain settings on top of each other when you're double tracking and adding harmonies, the high end and presence of the guitars gets really buzzy.

- There's also nothing above 10K in your mix. A few peaks, as you can see in the peak graphic, but the RMS has virtually nothing.

That's my 2 cents... overall it's a decent track. I just think it could be a little more balanced across the frequency range. If you can, post it again w/o the severe limiting before you make any changes.

ryan

hourglass said:
1st - the gallop riff at 1:16 has me throwing the horns... that rocks. :headbang:

As far as my suggestions on other things to try:

- It's hard to evaluate a "mix" when it's been crushed to death by so-called mastering tools. Of course everyone does it differently, but you shouldn't mix into a mastering compressor like an L2 or whatever... Go ahead and mix into a 2-buss compressor and knock a few db off but let the final level be set after the mastering engineer tweaks the EQ.

- That said, the low end is pounding. The bass and kick drum really speak out - and you've got a nice beater click on the kick drum, too.

- However, the whole middle & top end of the tune is missing. I think this is primarily due to your use of a mastering limiter. As you can see in the graphics, your low end is the only thing triggering the limiter.

mgbullet-peak.JPG

mgbullet-rms.JPG

- I'd go back to your mix (before it hits the uber-crusher you have on the output buss) and roll off some of your low end. You've got as much 40 & 50hz energy as you do 60-80hz and the big round part of the kick drum is more in that 60-80 range. If you hi-pass the kick & the bass guitar at 60hz it should really make the mix more clear. You can get this right and still have the same sound on the low end as you do now, but the other instruments will come forward and won't be playing "second fiddle" to the low end.

- Also - dial in some mids on the guitars. Boost a narrow Q starting at 600hz and sweep it around up thru 800hz. That's where the meat of the guitar lives and your mix doesn't have any of it in there. I'd also keep in mind next time you're tracking guitars (cuz I doubt you wanna re-track this one from the start) to pull the pre-gain down lower than your regular live sound. Once you stack four or six of the same gain settings on top of each other when you're double tracking and adding harmonies, the high end and presence of the guitars gets really buzzy.

- There's also nothing above 10K in your mix. A few peaks, as you can see in the peak graphic, but the RMS has virtually nothing.

That's my 2 cents... overall it's a decent track. I just think it could be a little more balanced across the frequency range. If you can, post it again w/o the severe limiting before you make any changes.

ryan

HOLY SHIT THANKS FOR ALL THAT INFO MATE !!!!

this took my fully attention:

with what should i go around the 60 hz ? any eq recommend ?

Anything with a high pass filter will do.....also I am guessing there is nothing above 10k because this is an MP3

chadsxe said:
Anything with a high pass filter will do.....also I am guessing there is nothing above 10k because this is an MP3

Yes to both of those - I wasn't thinking about the mp3 aspect - thanks for that.

Either a Waves Q10 or whatever channel EQ you have in your DAW software will have a High-Pass filter.

It'll look kinda like this on the button:

/---

On the Q10 it should be really easy to find... in fact, I think most of the presets default to channel 1 of the EQ being a high-pass... just slide the marker "1" up to 60hz. Amplitude doesn't matter when it's a hi- or lo-pass filter. Only frequency.

ryan

hourglass said:
Yes to both of those - I wasn't thinking about the mp3 aspect - thanks for that.

Either a Waves Q10 or whatever channel EQ you have in your DAW software will have a High-Pass filter.

It'll look kinda like this on the button:

/---

On the Q10 it should be really easy to find... in fact, I think most of the presets default to channel 1 of the EQ being a high-pass... just slide the marker "1" up to 60hz. Amplitude doesn't matter when it's a hi- or lo-pass filter. Only frequency.

ryan

could you mayby make a screenshot ? i can't find the /---