NEED OPINIONS ON THIS METALCORE MIX!!

SirKnucklesmd

Ctrl+zZzZz
Feb 11, 2011
Orange County
I feel like i'm starting to pollute this forum with this one song of mine i've been chipping at but I swear this is the last one. I finally have vocals tracked and mostly mixed in but I have a problem gauging the lows in my room. I did the mix almost entirely on my headphones since I had a sub kick issue I couldn't hear that royally messed things up for me before. That and my ears are fucking fatigued beyond hell. All i did with this mix is throw it into a limiter and rolled off some lows but it's still pumping. I'm now up against a deadline and need to have this mastered and completed within the next couple days. Any suggestions of any kind are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty good to me thus far. I can definitely hear the pumping though, maybe back off on the limiter a bit. A multiband EQ on the master could help tame some areas of the mix as well. Also, the kick is really loud and present compared to the rest of the drums. I hear that kick drum the whole time but everything else tends to get a little buried.

...I can definitely hear the pumping though, maybe back off on the limiter a bit. A multiband EQ on the master could help tame some areas of the mix as well...

I threw out the first version all together and re-up'd another one. There was way too much tick in my kick and the bass guitar wasn't really present. I think most of the pumping had to do with the amount of low-end my C4 was compressing on the kick itself. I increased the release and that helped a bit but i think I'm just going to have to re-sample the kick all together. I tried making my own from scratch for the first time and it's proving to be quite difficult... I'm about to just throw in the towel on it and use an SSD or SD sample instead.
Also I spent WAYY to much time dwelling on some subtle aspects when mixing this (ie verb decays and what not) that it really just fried my perception of the entire mix after a few hours. I was referencing sturgis mixes (Miss May I) for the overall picture but when it came to getting the kick sound I was referencing Thumping Chengo style kicks, but I don't think that style will ever fit this mix, which to me has a long way to go, especially in the low-end being super fucked up. I need to just take a day and come back fresh I think.

This is sounding killer, man. Awesome stuff!

Hey thanks! The vox are still pretty dry IMO and centered but i havent done a full mix down yet, just tryjng to see if i'm in the right direction with this before i continue. The guitars I feel are still taking up too much space, I'm considering re-amping through some software amps/cabs to see what that does... Never worked with amp sims before. I have lecto and a few others loaded on my comp but haven't unzipped them yet. Any advice on installing them??

Hey thanks guys, that means alot! Still trying to establish my own sound for this project rather than using all the same SSD samples etc. that are out there today. I think i'll go ahead and mix this down properly really soon after a few more subtle changes so it all "gels" together a bit better.

Probably gonna want to bring down the sub lows ~2-3 db to keep it from sounding super bassy on a good system. Otherwise awesome!

Thanks mate. I'm going to resample the kick, most likely one from my SD2 library, and it should be easier to tame the subs and just sound better in general. Any one have word on getting impulse and amp sims to work? I still wanna give re-amping a shot. I'm running off a mac platform.

I think the vox could come forward in the mix, but honestly this is unique and well mixed imo. Sounds good but doesn't sound like everything else. Still pumping a bit though. Snare pops like a mother fucker I love it.

I think the vox could come forward in the mix, but honestly this is unique and well mixed imo. Sounds good but doesn't sound like everything else. Still pumping a bit though. Snare pops like a mother fucker I love it.

I parallel compressed the shiznit out of that snare. Do you think throwing a limiter on my kick might help with the pumping? I don't usually like what limiting does to the top end of my kicks but if it'll help with the pumping I can eq around that.