need proffesional advice about bass recordings

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
hey there!

so i'm entering the bass recording phase of my demo and my brother is really recommanding that i use Trillian bass sim which is of course simply writing down midi parts instead of recording live bass.

but i'm an old fasion guy and i refuse to accept the fact that midi bass can actually sound as good if not better than a real live bass guitar,

so i need an advice from someone who actually recorded high quality records and can share his opinion about synthesizing a bass guitar and if it can really replace the good old fashion bass player (not live, of course)

Some people can make a trillian line sound really good, but I think in the end it always depends on the song/style. If you don't have a bassist and you're aware that you're not really that tight of a bassist (the source is VITAL on bass, probably more than with guitars) you could try Trillian if you have or are willing to buy it. But if you have a good bass and you are sure that it's tone fits the style well and someone in your band can actually play bass well enough to get some good tight tracks, I say go the traditional way.

On another note, if you're gonna pay the cash for trillian, you might think of paying a session bassist?

hmmm

thing is i have no "band", i mean i do have but this demo is my OWN so there is no bassist.
i'm a guitar player myself so i can record some DECENT bass lines and with the help of he scissors and grid quantize i think i can make everything tight (tough it will be played with a pick, when fingers are cleary better)
i know trillian CAN produce a good sound but the question is about the human aspect of bass playingi guess...

more opinions? anyone knows of a good album which was recorded using trillian?

Saying fingers are clearly better is COMPLETELY false. It always depends on the tone you're looking for which consequently depends on the song, and in my experience when doing metal 90% of the time picking is what gets me there, but of course many people will prefer fingers most of the time

I understand this is a personal demo, but do you literally not know a bass player who would play on some tracks for you? When I was young I'd play on almost anything.

i do know
just that i don't really want to bother him for free recording bass track to my creation (tracking IS annoying you know...)

when the demo is done i'll seek a label/studio/producer to record the full album with
the demo is basically the whole album (9 songs) but not as good as it can be when recorded in a studio and altered to perfection by another set of ears but mine

honestly, if you post the track on here with a tab, you can probably a forum member who will record it and send you track...if you feel so inclined, of course

hmmm
interasting idea

saves me hours of mind numbing punch-ins and editing...

anyone willing to try? my songs are usually pretty simple to play