Need some ideas on some acoustic "metal"

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I recently bought three acoustic guitars (and one electric.....long story as to why so many acoustics) and have been playing my balls off on acoustic. My musical tastes haven't changed any, but I want to write and record using acoustic and electric guitar. However, I am drawing a blank on some cool oldschool metal acoustic stuff. I love things like Wasp's "The Idol" and "Forever Free." I am even open to some "hair" acoustic stuff, as I love "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "When the Children Pray" but those are more the exception than the rule. I welcome any ideas. Any 70's hard rock I might have forgotten about is also welcome.

Thanks, Bryant

I just had a mental block part because I'm listening to 'Afterburner' (Saxon).

Acoustic metal songs, either intros or versions.

Speaking of Saxon, check 'Absent Friends'.

Malmsteen - 'Disciples Of Hell'
Black Sabbath - 'Laguna Sunrise'
Uriah Heep - 'Lady In Black'
Motorhead - I Ain't No Nice Guy
Motorhead - Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me
Motorhead - 'Whorehouse Blues'

I have the acoustic versions of 'Razamanaz', 'My White Bicycle' and 'This Flight Tonight' by Nazareth if you want to check them out.

Check also Heavens Gate - "In The Mood", an EP of acoustic versions of their songs.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34k5znxYzA&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zg55oMYovk&feature=related[/ame]

Tons of great Zeppelin stuff - most of Zeppelin III, Babe I'm gonna Leave you, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away...the list goes on and on.

The Wizard - Uriah Heep
My God, Mother Goose - Jethro Tull (and tons of others)

Tons of great Zeppelin stuff - most of Zeppelin III, Babe I'm gonna Leave you, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away...the list goes on and on.

The Wizard - Uriah Heep
My God, Mother Goose - Jethro Tull (and tons of others)

Very true about Zep. Love the Great White Zep covers as well. OtHaFA is also one of my fave Zep songs.

Bryant

Siam - Prayer has amazing clean guitar (highly, highly recommended if you're a classic queensryche fan)

Queensryche - MTV unplugged, and bonus tracks from the Austoria in 1994.

Betrayer - Sands of Time

You can always check out Rodrigo Y Gabriela.
Although not metal per se they were influenced by it. See their covers of Stairway To Heaven and Metallica's Orion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great call Joe! I love those Bruce songs, heartfelt as hell, and 'Return to Serenity' is lovely, maybe the only song from that album I like.

BTW, there's a whole Yngwie Malmsteen acoustic album of ballads (horrible IMO) if Bryant wants to check.

I actually like 'The Ritual'. It's a bit different, slower, but it has some good songs on. After that Testament kind of lose me really, until First Strike Still Deadly ;)

A whole album of Yngwie anything sounds horrible to me :lol:

I actually like 'The Ritual'. It's a bit different, slower, but it has some good songs on. After that Testament kind of lose me really, until First Strike Still Deadly ;)

Wow lad, you have to check "Low" and "The Gathering", two fantastic albums at all levels (specially "Low").

A whole album of Yngwie anything sounds horrible to me :lol:

You're mean...:devil:

Low was actually the first Testament album I got. Not realy a fan; I don't know, it's too slow to really tickle my pickle. Since The Ritual I kind of feel that Testament try really hard to be as heavy as possible instead of being thrash, and it just doesn't work for me. They'll never write a song like Apocalyptic City again, and that's a shame...

Low was actually the first Testament album I got. Not realy a fan; I don't know, it's too slow to really tickle my pickle. Since The Ritual I kind of feel that Testament try really hard to be as heavy as possible instead of being thrash, and it just doesn't work for me.

Really a 180 degrees opinion from mine. "Low" was also my first Testament album and I love it dearly, curiously now I listen to "The Legacy" which at the time was so heavy that I couldn't stand it (I wasn't into thrash at the time) and now seems soft and primitive compared to "Low".

But gracefully we disagree, if we all think alike this will be very boring ;)

Pagan Altar!
I don't even know where to start with these guys, bunch of good stuff, acoustics and otherwise but here's a few:

I don't know if you know them already but... They're a band from the late 70's, released a demo in 82 but then went silent until the late 90's when they got the demo an official release, since then they've come out with two more albums and an EP. Good stuff.

Also, I'm almost certain Manilla Road has got some acoustic elements in some of their songs, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you know them already but...

I got MAM, and it's quite a good album. I downloaded "Volume 1" but hadn't check it through yet :eek:

Quite recommended for fans of Black Sabbath and Pentagram.

alright---i will be the brave?! one and go more the "Hair Metal" route

check out Dokken "One Live Night" acoustic set-they do good covers of Beatles"Nowher Man" and ELP "From the Beginning"

on the 70's hard rock side:

sooooooooooo....to redeem myself just a bit; my fav band of all time Aerosmith-you can't go wrong with MTV Unplugged

Though not many of these songs might fit the "oldschool"-requirement, there's perhaps still some stuff you might like (some of these are just short instrumental pieces/intros):

Fates Warning - "Chasing Time"
Helstar - "Winds Of War" (1st minute)
Mekong Delta - "Interludium" (1st minute)
Mekong Delta - "Introduction" (part "a" of the song "Dances Of Death")
Mekong Delta - "Intro" (= track 1 on "Wanderer On The Edge Of Time")
Mekong Delta - "Interlude 3" (= track 8 "Wanderer On The Edge Of Time")
Midnattsol - "Goodbye"
Sieges Even - "An Essay Of Relief (A Tangerine Dream)" (Part V of the song "Tangerine Windows Of Solace")
Sieges Even - "Anthem Chapter I"
Sieges Even - "Change Of Seasons"
Soul Cages - "Methode No. 23"
Soul Cages - "Impressions"
The Third And The Mortal - "Sorrow"
Toxik - "47 Seconds of Sanity/Count Your Blessings" (first part)