Need suggestions on Anthrax albums!

MrMajs said:
This is kinda weird, but I have never heard Anthrax.

So which album should I buy?

I'd recommend:

"We've Come For You All"
"Persistence of Time"
and "Among The Living"

First off, you're going to get a lot of different answers, as everyone here will have differing opinions. Here's mine:

As was mentioned by DreQuick, if you want a quick overview of the entire history of the band, Return of the Killer A's is a "greatest hits" compilation featuring both of their singers (excluding Neil Turbin, who only provided vocals on their first album). I'd avoid Madhouse, as that compilation only includes tunes done with their previous singer, and does not include anything they've done in the past decade with their "newer" and more superior vocalist.

Although many people here are still in the infatuation phase with "We've Come For You All", I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point unless you want to know what the band is doing right now, as it's one of their weaker and less focused albums, although John and Charlie still manage to prove their god-like abilities as metal vocalist and drummer, respectively.

I would recommend "Sound of White Noise" (and if you can find it, also "Volume 8: The Threat is Real") unconditionally. From start to finish, these are two of the greatest metal albums, period, IMO.

If old school thrash is more your thing, then "Among the Living" is considered by many to be a classic, although again, now that Joey is no longer in the band, this sound is different than what they play now.

I would recommend Sound of white noise (1993), Stomp 442 (1995), Volume 8 (1998) and the new one We've come for you all (2003). I sugest the bush era albums because I don't think Belladonna is coming back. After you get the Bush era albums then get the Belladonna stuff. I think the best from him is P.O.T. (1990), Among the Living (1987) and State of Euphoria (1988) then Speading the Disease (1985) and the oldest era of Anthrax the short lived Turbin era Fist Full of Metal (1984).

But hey dude you buy what you wanna buy I'm just glad you want to get into ANTHRAX!!!

P.S. Volume 8 is hard to find. The best way of getting this album is buying on the internet like ebay.com , amazon.com etc... most likly it will be used or a import copy but trust me its worth the money. :cool:

My top two picks:
"Among The Living"- Most definately Anthrax's strongest moment from the Joey-era.
"Stomp 442"- Personally my favorite from the Bush-era. One of the most underrated metal albums of all time IMO.

Others-
"Attack Of The Killer A's"- A complete retrospective of the entire career of Anthrax.

"We've Come For You All"- Need I say more?

I'm a huge Joey/Danny era fan but have been recently converted to a John era fan as well so here's my picks:

For the Joey era I'd say Among The Living - no excuses for NOT getting that one! and Persistence Of Time.

For John stuff, I'd say any of them as they're all really good! SOWN has Room 4 1 More, Potters Field...... Stomp's got Fueled, Nothing, Vol 8 has Crush, Piss N Vinegar......the choices are there, just grab one and you won't be disappointed if you like METAL and you dig Thrax!

nafnikufesin said:
Although many people here are still in the infatuation phase with "We've Come For You All", I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point unless you want to know what the band is doing right now, as it's one of their weaker and less focused albums, although John and Charlie still manage to prove their god-like abilities as metal vocalist and drummer, respectively.

How can WCFYA be a weak album? just because it's different? the album is killer.

I suggest Persistence of Time (1990) and Among The Living (1987) for Joey/Danny era. Sound Of White Noise (1993) and Volume 8 The Threat Is Real (1998) for John era. Also get the new album We've Come For You All (2003), because Anthrax needs more support for their new album than their back catalogue.

Thrashard said:
Hi MrMajs! How did you find out about Anthrax (the band)?

Ive heard a lot of them, especially on this board. And since Im really into old school thrash, ive had to check them out.

BTW, thanks for all help. I think "Among The Living" will be my first Anthrax album.

MrMajs said:
Ive heard a lot of them, especially on this board. And since Im really into old school thrash, ive had to check them out.

BTW, thanks for all help. I think "Among The Living" will be my first Anthrax album.

Good choice man! It's their best!

i personaly prefer State of Euphoria !
but as a bigger try to get Madhouse or Return of the Killer A´s
so you will get songs of every era !
and of course get the new one (new euro festival edition ! ) or get the us version with bootleg video !

therat said:
How can WCFYA be a weak album? just because it's different? the album is killer.
First of all, read the entire post: (1) We all have opinions, and (2) "weak" is in relative terms; in terms of Anthrax albums, I think it's one of the weaker albums that they've put out. There are a number of songs that I don't care much for, which is very different than SOWN, Volume 8, or Stomp, which are amazing albums from start to finish. It does have some good tunes on it, too, and compared with most crap that gets released these days, it's still a good album, but after their last 3 releases, and pre-release hype saying how heavy and thrashy this album was going to be, I feel that this album was a letdown. If you love the album, fantastic, but remember, that's your opinion, and it's not any more right or wrong than mine. I only wonder if some of the people recommending the album are biased by the fact that it's the first new music by our beloved band in almost five years.