Need to get a smart phone

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
I've never really used a smart phone before, I'm a dinosaur, but I should buy one soon.
The cheapest one I can find that's being sold is Alcatel Pixi 4 (4) for $65, but I read a couple of reviews that said it's slow and the apps can crash easily, don't know how true that is.
I just checked on our version of eBay (it is owned by eBay), and I did find a new Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini for $97, or the Lenovo A Plus for $75. It's more expensive but if they're much better, then I think I can afford to get one of them. Lenovo had that Superfish controversy, don't know if they're honest now.

I have no idea what's good or what OS is good, or how to use apps and all that.
But I've built my own computers, etc., so..

I tried finding used phones but they cost more than those I mentioned.

Here's a list of phones I could get that if I stretch my budget:
Lenovo Moto E (3rd gen) (2016)
Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini
Lenovo A Plus
Microsoft Lumia 550
ZTE Blade A310

Last edited:

haha, I still won't use one of those damn things. I swear, every time I have people over, or I go to their place, they're all staring down at their damn phones. Every one of them. None of them are any smarter. :rofl:

Anyways,

Have you tried to get a hand me down from friends or family? Some people tend to throw those things in a drawer every time a new one comes out. Unless you feel you need a new one. Just tossing you an idea. Little venting too, just a little.

Reactions: ForHerDeadEyes

haha, I still won't use one of those damn things. I swear, every time I have people over, or I go to their place, they're all staring down at their damn phones. Every one of them. None of them are any smarter. :rofl:

Anyways,

Have you tried to get a hand me down from friends or family? Some people tend to throw those things in a drawer every time a new one comes out. Unless you feel you need a new one. Just tossing you an idea. Little venting too, just a little.

That's me!
I've been happy with my $10 Samsung I bought 4 years ago. It can SMS, Call, and has an alarm. I don't want mp3-players, video, etc.
But at the moment my life is very complicated (FUBAR) and unfortunatly I don't have any other options but to buy one myself.
And in this country, used stuff is often expensive. Can't find a used phone for cheap, so I may just go for a new one.
The cheaper the better, of course, but I also want something reliable.

Reactions: SocialNumb
they're all staring down at their damn phones. Every one of them. None of them are any smarter.
I know what you mean, I encounter these people every morning cycling to work. They're staring at their stupid phones instead of getting out of my way. Honestly... I mean what can possibly be that fucking important 8 in the morning ffs? I imagine they aren't glued to their phones because they are studying quantum physics so hard either.

Rant off.

Sorry, not much help but whatever you do, don't get an iphone.

I've had an iPhone 4 for like 6 years now and it's finally dying on me. I'd recommend iPhone just because that's the only smartphone I've owned and it held up great for me.

And I cannot stand fuckers who are constantly staring at their phones!!! I guess I was that way when I first got mine, but not anymore. For christ sake, I'll be at band practice and between songs 2-3 of my band mates are immediately staring into their phones. Like WHAT the fuck is sooooo important?! Are you playing through a song and your mind is literally thinking about finishing the song so you can pick up your phone!? I had mentioned a "no phones in the practice space" rule but they don't like that.....

Reactions: ForHerDeadEyes
Sorry, not much help but whatever you do, don't get an iphone.

I'd recommend iPhone just because that's the only smartphone I've owned and it held up great for me.

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!!

I've seen recommendations for the iPhone 4, but even a used one here costs ass.
I bought a tablet last year that hasn't seen much use, found a site that sells brand new tablets this Black Friday (weekend) as well for $32, but phones costs at least twice as much.
I've asked around on different forums, and the answer is to find a used nicer phone, but it's difficult to find a cheap and unlocked one.
I'm leaning towards the Lenovo Moto 3, since it costs $140 but is on sale now for $107.

I bought a Galaxy Grand Prime for $199 a year ago. It's fine for a person who hasnt used one I would think. I dont use alot of apps or any games so it works alright for moi.

i don´t have half an apple, but bandmates do. The only thing they can do better than others is to record rehearsals. Samsung phones crap out beyond a certain volume (85dB in my case), but apple thingies have a somewhat decent limiter, so you can at least guess what happened.

Other than that, you can probably get away with most others

And I cannot stand fuckers who are constantly staring at their phones!!! I guess I was that way when I first got mine, but not anymore. For christ sake, I'll be at band practice and between songs 2-3 of my band mates are immediately staring into their phones. Like WHAT the fuck is sooooo important?! Are you playing through a song and your mind is literally thinking about finishing the song so you can pick up your phone!? I had mentioned a "no phones in the practice space" rule but they don't like that.....

One of the upsides of doing rehearsals in a bomb shelter is the lack of reception. Don't know if you have them where you live though.

Check out www.gsmarena.com to compare prices, specs, date of release, etc.

Sounds like your best bet is to buy a second-to-last phone model, new, so you don't pay the big premium for the 'novelty' thing, and still get better bang for your buck, and something lasting (tech wise). Until you become a dinosaur again, haha.

I live in a crowded urban area, one thing I dislike about phones is when a client calls and I'm walking in the street, at first I tended to answer (didn't want to lose business) and before I knew it, I had crossed a street without even looking, immersed into the phone call. Retarded, I know, but I guess it's not that uncommon:

As a rule now I either don't answer, or I go inside someplace to answer if possible, to avoid both an accident, or some thief trying to catch people off guard. I might lose a new client, but the alternatives can be worse.

Yeah, I went with a Lenovo that was on sale Lenovo Moto E (3rd Gen)..
It was $107 on a sale, otherwise $128.

But I fucked up, I was going to order it from a site that is my go to with electronics. But on Sunday I updated the cart exactly 00:00 and the sale was over. So I ordered from another site that's old and well-known. But.. now I read that they're really slow with delivering and it can take weeks. They claim to ship it within 3 - 7 days.. I've read sooo many complaints..
Now they updated the sales page to say 1 - 4 days.. which is a lie..

I hope it's a good enough phone, when/if I get it.