circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Negative Creeps – Mutual Annihilation
Black Lotus Records – June 30th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

mutualcover.jpg

The band with the redundant moniker has offered Mutual Annihilation to us all. And, Negative Creeps play a likeness of metalcore, which they affectionately label “Satancore.” Hmm, I’ll have to think about exactly how much I hate that genre name.

Undoubtedly, the blips and bleeps that radiate from “Inflammatory Scourge” are nothing newsworthy. I’m positive every reader has heard a band that sounds exactly like Negative Creeps. But, hold on, it is somewhat interesting. Conversely, though, I can’t pinpoint why. The vocals are in the traditional, metalcore vein; distorted guitars accompany everything else; the drums – although underproduced – are okay rhythmically. “Post Homicidal Depression” commences with a patented, Dimebag squeal, and ventures into all-too-recognizable ground. “Human Crossbreed” and “Mutual Annihilation” are remarkably similar to other encounters. The homoerotic “We Come for Your Ass” rises above the pack, cause of its grittiness and simplistic riffage, which is perfectly acceptable. Essentially, all compositions begin in the same way: a guitar riff is struck, and then every musician jumps in. It’d have been nice if Negative Creeps figured out how to change the way they start an opus. “Eyeball Drilling” ( :lol: ) finds itself at the end of Mutual Annihilation. As you may infer, the band lack in the song-name department.

Though the group have myriad traits going for them, Negative Creeps just can’t compete with the forerunners of metalcore. The aforementioned have riffs-a-plenty, but ultimately those won’t save them from being overlooked. To be safest, check back with the Black Lotus Records purveyors when they release another album…or two.

7/10

Official Negative Creeps website
Official Black Lotus Records website