NEGURA BUNGET INTERVIEW on TERRORIZER

Emi

underdog
May 10, 2002
imola - italy
code666.net
EXCLUSIVE NEGURA BUNGET INTERVIEW: "It’s a bit different from Negura Bunget, but I think all the roots are there!"

Currently tearing up the UK on their Terrorizer-sponsored UK tour, epic Romanian pagan BM outfit NEGURA BUNGET took some time out from abusing freakishly large pieces of woodwind to talk touring and their forthcoming Prophecy reissued back catalogue!
nb_rockmania1.jpg
Looking forward to returning to the UK? Any pleasant memories from the last time you were here?

"Yeah, it pretty nice going back there. We have a lot of cool memories from the previous tour, of course, like staying all night smoking in a tent in Hitchin, with a cool guy who used to work in the past with Pink Floyd, walking a bit across Brighton beach under typical British weather, and lots of other personal stuff… he he."

Last time it was with Ephel Duath and Bossk, what was it like being part of such an eclectic line-up?

"It was pretty cool tour line-up back then. We enjoyed playing along both bands, which although different I think made the whole tour a lot more interesting. We always prefer taking some more experimental ways, and this tour was such a cool one."

Negura Bunget traditionally try and take care of everything themselves, why is this and do you think metal could use a bit more of a DIY ethic?

"I think is just a normal and natural thing for us. We have been always interested in all the details surrounding our music, so it was natural to grow more interest ed in graphics, production, then arranging gigs and tours. Sometimes we had no other choice actually, as the options we had were quite limited, especially at the beginning. I think in the end there’s no one who knows what you want and what you need better than yourself. Of course there are some thingswe can’t do on our own, but we still try to be aware of all that’s going on involving our band."

hd_rockmania.jpg
Prophecy are reissuing all the early stuff, including the Wiccan Rede demo, how do you feel about all those old albums now? If people were to only check out one - which would you recommend?

"Of course a bit strange to listen to our old work, but we still enjoy them. We’ve been working also on a completely new version of the 'Maiastru Sfetnic' album, which will be ready soon, so that album is now more like a new one rather than an old one… he he. I have several songs I particularly like of course from all the old albums. On 'From Transilvanian Forest' there’s 'De Silvae Transilvaniae' track with a cool atmosphere, and there’s also the 'Dupre Reci Umbre' version from the demo which I think has a bit of a different feeling compared with the one from 'Zirnindu-Sa', although is still almost the same track. I also like 'Vel Proclet' from 'Zirnindu-Sa', 'Vint De Rau Prin Valea Iadului' from 'Sala Molksa', and pretty much all from 'Maiastru Sfetnic'. But these are my preferences, I think it’s better for everyone to listen and decide on their own."

Was it difficult to return to Wiccan Rede? A lot of bands find their earlier projects a bit embarrassing - what do you think 'From Transylvanian Forest' has to offer and what can you tell us about the bonus tracks?

"We are rather proud of that demo, otherwise we would have really not considered releasing it again. I think it offers a bit of a different vision, of what we were trying to do in the beginning. It’s a bit different from Negura Bunget, but I think all the roots are there already. It also has a lot of young energy and enthusiasm, very much in accordance with those times. The original demo featured only four tracks, although we recorded six, the extra two being a track we already had done for the first Negura Bunget album. We then later released a limited tape edition featuring two new songs we composed and recorded live at our rehearsal room especially for that edition. So now finally the CD includes all, four original tracks of the demo, two extra songs that are also on the 'Zirnindu-Sa' album (though of course a bit different, and we recorded them again) and the two bonus tracks from the limited tape edition."

Bands building a bit of folk and mythology around a black metal core have suddenly exploded, are they cheapening it a bit? Do plastic swords and helmets make it harder for other bands to be taken seriously?

"I wouldn’t say people can’t make out the difference between what’s real and what’s hollow. Maybe sometimes it’s difficult, but in the end all becomes clear. I can’t really say we think too much about such matters, we rather prefer to focus on what we have to do, and try doing it as good as possible. And if in the end you have something to say and transmit to the listeners, all will become clear and easy. It’s as simple as that."

www.NeguraBunget.com

Saw Negura Bunget with Fen in London last week. NB were amazing and Fen blew me away as I had never heard them before at all and I found their music very atmospheric. Needless to say, I bought lots of merchandise from both bands!

they should tour northern america with enslaved :) , it would be a strong package

http://ravishinggrimness.blogspot.com/2009/02/interview-with-enslaved.html

6.Do you follow the current black metal scene at all? Do you have any thoughts on the current state of the genre?

Ivar: Yeah, I try to stay a little updated, absolutely. It is quite interesting to see where it is going and the new directions the scene is taking. I am particularly interested in the “experimental” parts of the scene – bands like Virus, Negura Bunget, Ihsahn that break conventions are really interesting I think.