Nemesis - In Hell shall be thy Dwelling Place (feedback appreciated!)

Apr 8, 2012
www.nemesis-metal.de
Hi!

First post on this forum, although I was sneaking around for quite a while to get some tipps for mixing our first demo (german power metal band called Nemesis, as my nickname suggests). Some really good tipps here and a great forum!

As we are working on our demo and had the chance to be part of an underground metal sampler, we decided to bring forward the production of one of our songs. Although it is considered finished for the sampler, I thought it was a nice idea to share the track here to get some feedback before finishing the full demo. So here it is:

Feedback regarding everything is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Updated version:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some comments anyone? Would really love to get some feedback, as I feel like everything I touch in the mix only makes it worse. Would really love to get the muddiness out of it (esp. guitars and string), but everything I tried just feels too thin in the end.

This is hard to mix as there's so much going on. Cool track by the way :)

I like the vocal and drum mix, but the rhythm guitars are having trouble competing. Do you have a high-pass filter on the guitars (if not, that should help)? The tone is cool, but lacks body, which I guess is why they're getting a bit lost. Have you tried playing with the mids? I would actually also turn the keys/strings down a bit in general, and possibly spread them out over the stereo range as they feel a bit loud and concentrated in one place at the moment. The bass mostly sounds good, especially in the sparser sections, but could do with a bit more definition when everything else is playing. Tidying up the guitar's low end should help this I guess.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, guitars have HP-filters on them, but maybe I set them a little too low. I'll give this a try soon! And now, hearing the result over and over again, I also think that the strings are quite loud. Will definitely fix that!

Got some rather negative feedback on the drums in another forum. Which is ok of course, as feedback is always welcome. Mostly about them getting drowned in the mix and sounding artificial. Since the goal was kind of a modern metal sound (think of latest Stratovarius mixes for example, although we did not reach this of course :) ), I thought they were just right as they are given the material we were able to record. What do you think? To much triggered BD/Snare samples mixed in? Toms are also triggered... aren't they punchy enough for that style of music?

Not bad but in my opinion you could try to improve the drum sound a little bit.
Also - mess around with compressor - some parts of vocal are too quiet.