neo-classical

I think Elend is Neo-Cassical, too. They are more Industrial/Ambient though. I really don't know what Neo-Classical is myself though.

neo-classical is new compositions written with the classical form in mind, but through the voice of modern harmony. the quintessential example is prokofiev's "classical" symphony.

the alumnus said:
neo-classical is new compositions written with the classical form in mind, but through the voice of modern harmony. the quintessential example is prokofiev's "classical" symphony.

See, that's what I thought when I first came across it. It seems like the term is used to mean two completely different things. This is what lead to my confusion.

metu said:
See, that's what I thought when I first came across it. It seems like the term is used to mean two completely different things. This is what lead to my confusion.

in the metal world, "neoclassical" refers to guitarist who use sweep arpeggios like yngwie malmsteen.

Yngwie Malmsteen is the best example, but try to stick to his earlier works.

Also I can recommend:

Stormwind
Majestic (disbanded)
Opus Atlantica
Space Odyssey
Time Requiem
Mark Boals (albums with MacAlpine especially)
Ring Of Fire

the alumnus said:

At last! Many of Stravinsky's works are also great examples.

I wouldn't say that power metal is structurally neoclassical. Most such bands use simple verse-chorus rock arrangements; the very antithesis of neoclassical. I won't comment on Symphony X since I've never really listened to them. "Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph" by The Chasm is an example of neoclassical metal.

Plenty of ignorant folk (as exemplified in this thread) think neoclassicalism is some sort of description of metal bands who rip off baroque melodies and apply them to fairly straightforward metal/rock music. I don't mean to come down hard on you guys, but that's just really insulting the whole idea....

Yngwie Malmsteen and Symphony X have almost nothing in common with classical music... *just* the melody (and they're ripping off BAROQUE music, not classical). How many classical pieces can you name where every instrument plays parallel subjects (because the guitar and bass in "neoclassical" metal bands follow each other 99% of the time)? How many pieces are verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-etc structured?

Some of those bands posted aren't really neo-classical metal though they might a few tracks like that. I have put together the ultimate collection on my page with the main composers that influenced them. Check it out at myspace.com/neoclassicalfusion