Neumann KM184 vs. Joly mod Oktava MK012

arv_foh

Brian K
Oct 3, 2006
Columbus, OH
So I've been borrowing KM184s to use as overhead mics for my sessions, and going from SM81s, they fucking smoke them. So open, and crisp, articulated details in all the cymbal hits.

I'm curious though if anyone on this forum has owned/used both of these mics? I've listened to all the gearslutz shootouts and they focus primarily with the mics used on acoustic guitars, which I'm not horribly concerned with. There was only one comparison with the mics as overheads and the oktavas sounded brighter and not as open in the midrange, which I'm not sure if I like.

Budget isn't really that much of an issue; I'll spend the extra on the Neumann if I have to but $789 is a lot better on the wallet than $1600, although I've see a few pairs of KM184s go for $1100-$1200 used.

Honestly I'm not really interested in hearing alternatives; I'd prefer to hear from people about these 2 mics specifically.

I have the modded 012's and i want to buy the km184's. If you don't end up buying the km184's maybe i will sell you my 012's and snag the km184's. :cool:

I'm interested in this too, because I've been thinking about buying a pair of KM184s and an Audient Mico for 1200 pounds on finance.

that clip is no contest to me. listen to how much more detail the km184s capture

I agree but the 603 is a shit mic while the oktava is not. They're completely different.
I think that's one of the least convincing mod from oktavamod.

I would agree but I'm listening on crappy earphones at the moment lol Will listen again later. There's also a KM184 and MK012 guitar clip where they switch between the two a few times.

I love me some km184s but frankly the dpa 4011s and the schoeps cmc-6 rape them. They do cost substantially more however. Don't know anything about the Oktavas. I can't justify the price of the Schoeps or the DPAs but I've been wanting a matched pair of KM184s for a while now.

I honestly do not know one person who does not love there modded 012's. You never see them for sale either. That says a lot to me.

Wish i had both to a/b against one another.

The place I work on has KM184s and while they are very nice mics, for some reason I get some boxyness/stiffness I can't EQ out. My OHs improved by A LOT when I started using whatever LDCs I choose (already used U87 + C414 / U87 + AT4047 / AT4047 + C414). Maybe that is just the room, though

I love me some km184s but frankly the dpa 4011s and the schoeps cmc-6 rape them. They do cost substantially more however. Don't know anything about the Oktavas. I can't justify the price of the Schoeps or the DPAs but I've been wanting a matched pair of KM184s for a while now.

4 grand for overheads is a little outside of my budget