Neurosis

Jun 27, 2003
I have heard many a great thing about Neurosis and am really digging their music.

I am thinking about purchasing a CD. Could anyone recommend me a CD to start with or name me their best CD?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly...any of them. But from a personal opinion I recommend Through Silver in Blood and Times of Grace with the lean mainly towards Through Silver in Blood. The album starts out with this tribal style drum beat that just hooks you into the entire thing as a whole..it's quite an album. Souls At Zero, Enemy of the Sun, Sovereign, and A Sun That Never Sets are all really good too.

Yes they are easily one of the most creative bands out there- one of my favorites.

I would suggest all of their albums- but Id hold off on the Word as Law.

To me, Through Silver, and The Sun never sets are the two best- then SOuls of Zero, and Times of Grace, Enemy of the Sun is good as well.

If you really dig ambient etc. Steve Von TIll also puts out some interesting music through his other band Tribes of Neurot- excellent stuff - it justhas nothing to do at all with heavy music.

Times of Grace is their best imo. Through Silver is great, too, but I'd say Times of grace is more accessible. If you're more into melodic stuff you'll probably prefer A Sun That Never Sets, the latest one

I would get Through Silver in Blood first.... its very heavy, hypnotic, and the samples/sound effects are used very well. If you want something more doomy/depressing go with Sun That Never Sets (my favorite album of all time). Either way, you should get all, of course. Neurosis are my favorite band, definately the bleakest and most oppresive band around.

And I know just as much about them as Dreamlord.

Everyone's pretty much given my recommendations, which would be Through Silver in Blood and Times of Grace. Although, for a beginner, I'd go with Times of Grace. I don't think A Sun That Never Sets is a good starting point, simply because it isn't representative of the band's "overall" (I use that word loosely) sound. But like everyone said, all of the band's releases are excellent.

Also, be sure to check out the Neurosis and Jarboe collaberation coming out soon.

If you really want to get brain-raped, check out their DVD.

Yeah, Neurosis is one of my favorites. SunlapseVertigo's description is spot on. There is no other band as densely and sonically heavy as Neurosis. It takes time to fully appreciate, but persistence pays off. Stick with it, and find the promised land. Good luck.

Hey guys, thanks a lot. You have been a big help.

I already sampled a few songs from Times of Grace on mp3.com. One of the songs really caught my attention.

And, you said that CD was best for beginners. So I will go with that first. Then I will get Through Silver in Blood. And finally, I will get A Sun That Never Sets

...of course not all at the same time. If I like all those, I will see what I shall get from there.

:)