NEVERMORE ATHENS REVIEW!!

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Ok, I flew from London to Greece for holiday and was able to catch the last show of the the European tour. This was my third time seeing them on this tour and was by far the best performance! A quick summary:

Before I left for Athens I had been in contact with TEE who lives in Croatia. She and her other half, METALIZED were extremely help and did so much for me including getting me a concert ticket, booking me a hotel room at a nice place for a cheap price in a great location, picking me up for the gig at my hotel, getting us on the guest list at the show, and even driving me back to the airport after the concert. I was blown away by their kindness, to say the least.

I arrived in Athens and made it from the airport to my hotel by early evening. I walked around to get my bearings and had some food, taking note of the multitude of metal shops in that area of town. I called it a night after a day of travelling and headed back to my hotel.

The next day I woke up early and did all the tourist shit I could, including the acropolis, the ministry of culture, ancient angora, temple of olympian zues, and tons of other stuff along those lines. The historical sites there are truly amazing....actually walking through the same places that Sophocles used to give lectures to people was a great experience. I also walked through the Plaka, an old section of Athens with tons of cafes, restaurants and cool shopping areas with big open markets that sell just about anything you could imagine. Then I went back up the Acropolis for some more sightseeing...the view is breathtaking. I ate a wonderful dinner and called it a night after a long, hot day of walking.

The next day I woke up early and went to the island of Hydra, which is two hours off the coast of Athens. This was absolutely one of the coolest places I have ever been. The island is like a painting....tiny, multi-colored houses scattered on the cliffside and a great port/dock section with outdoor cafes. I ate a small lunch and had a pina colada while I sunbathed and took in the sites. There were donkeys roaming around, tons of stray cats and dogs and a good mix of tourists and natives. A lot of Europeans retire to Hydra and just live a simple life on the island. After lunch I explored and took a lot of pictures. There are A LOT of steps on Hydra, as the island just seems to go up and up and up....it was really cool! I bought a painting of the port that a man had done and was selling in his shop along with others that were great! Im gonna give it to my girlfriend when I see her tonight. After that I got a coffee and just sat dockside and watched with envy as a bunch of rich europeans docked their MASSIVE luxury yachts and just hung out for the day. The ferry came on time and took us back to Athens. When I got back I went for a great dinner and found out my credit card was missing..either I left it on the island or it got stolen. I made a bunch of phone calls and got my rents to western union me some cash, after a hellish few hours.

Sunday, the day of the show came. I woke up and went to central market to buy some olive oil for my mom and some for myself. Then I went back up the Acropolis and sunbathed some more and made it back to my hotel and met up with TEE and METALIZED! They were both very, very nice and very very cool people. We went to their friend Greg's metal shop, called EAT METAL RECORDS, which was right by my hotel, and we had some drinks and then left for the show. Greg is a really nice dude and was very hospitable!

At the venu, Club22, we were some of the last people in so we secured a place to the right of the stage to watch the show. No warm up bands, thank god, and Nevermore came out and played one hell of a LONG performance!!! Near the end of the show Warrel said 'this next song is a special song, and it's dedicated to DEVY METAL, TEE AND METALIZED,' and we waved and he waved back and they busted into the track. It was killer! Warrel looked over at me as I pointed to him and he smiled...I know he (I hope!) recognized me from when I met him in Nottingham and London.

After the show we went back to EAT METAL RECORDS where we ordered Pizza, hung out and blasted some metal. The shop specializes in really rare, classic/epic metal. It was a great shop!! We then went to TEXAS, a metal club/bar and hung out and had some more drinks, then TEE and METALIZED brought me back to the airport. We hung out there for a long time waiting, hoping that the Nevermore guys would show but we didnt end up seeing them. They left for a long drive home and I had some planes to catch. After two flight delays in Milan for London, I finally made it back to my place in the afternoon after 30 some hours of no sleep. Well worth it!!!

Again, a big thanks to TEE and METALIZED for their incredible kindness they showed to me, a total stranger. Very, very cool people that I am looking forward to seeing again in the not so distant future!!!

setlist for the show: (cant remember the EXACT order, so ill just go album by album)

this sacrament
7 tongues
the learning
beyond within
dreaming neon black
narco
river dragon
inside 4 walls (dedicated to me, tee and metalized...tee was so happy cuz its her favorite nevermore song!! ;) )
heart collector
sound of silence
never purify
enemies of reality
born
acid words
bittersweet feast
sentient6
final product
this godless endeavor (best live song, best nevermore song, just plain awesome!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang: :headbang: )

18 songs, people!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: the show was fucking awesome because this was the first time i got to see them with STEVE since he had his tragedy during the time the band was in England when I saw them. He kicked ass!!!! the sound at the club was great, too!!! overall, a kick ass time!! Ill post pictures when theyre ready!!

again thanks to TEE AND METALIZED for their help and kindness!!!

oh, one more thing: the entire show was filmed for a DVD! im not sure if the WHOLE concert will be included on it, but if i had to guess id say more than a few bits and pieces!!!

Now i have to find a way to fly home for the worcester show at the end of this month!!!

it`s nice to hear that u had a great time :D i can`t wait to see the pictures! :D

... but when i think of the acropolis ... *brrr* we were there in september 2004 - and i fell down the stairs, because there was a hole in em ... and had to walk down with a reduplicated ankle ;) hahaha :headbang: hell yeah that was nice :yuk:

;)

metalisized

Ha! I got a good chuckle out of that too.....Man, 18 songs, Lucky, lucky, you! All we get over here is 45 minutes......:cry::yell: Save for BWBK, and the DNB tour. Better than none at all though.I hopes to get to greece soon......been wanting to go there for years, maybe next tour:loco:

one more note about the show....

warrel had never sounded better than that night. all the high notes were right on key and he looked great and like he was having a good time. im so glad he is healthy!

anyway, amazing review, Devy, I learned more from this here than you had time to tell me in Greece, about the places you've been to and all the things you've seen (I surely remember the credit card thing :Smug: ). and I told you not to thank us that much, we're glad we could do it! :)

as for the other guys, all of you, start saving money and see you next time Nevermore play in Greece! :D

this is the best Nevermore concert I've attended (out of humble no 7 altogether), the sound amazing, Warrel's singing flawless. as I mentioned in the disappeared post, Nevermore got an old fan back. metalized was "eeking" and "omging" after the show quite a lot. and he caught Van's stick.... :) :guh: .........

Inside Four Walls, yes, ... erm... my fav song. Warrel, thank you so much! long live hop metal! :hotjump: :loco:

piccies again, Texas bar/club:

Metalisized_Devy_Tee.jpg

Devy_Tee_Greg.jpg