Nevermore "Enemies of Reality" review @ DigitalMetal

Lord of Metal said:
No, the guy's name is grammar assclown.
Oh, I know... It's just a funny turn of phrase, you know? Not something that usually comes up in, er, polite conversation...but conjures up an amusing image with face-paint, don't'cha think? Now, the whole grammar thing made me start singing "The Strunk and White assassin" to a well-known tune...

"Oh, I know... It's just a funny turn of phrase, you know? Not something that usually comes up in, er, polite conversation...but conjures up an amusing image with face-paint, don't'cha think? Now, the whole grammar thing made me start singing "The Strunk and White assassin" to a well-known tune..."

Oh, okay... :D

I think the reviewer has something up his ass. and i think EoR kicks ass, even with the crappy production (wonder how good it will be with better production)...
I really like Seed Awakening, i think its one of Nevermores fastest, and most thrashy songs (not the fastest/most thrashy, but one of them). Sounds like Slayer on drugs

Kon16ov said:
I'll also have to ask WD about being rendered "mute," since he came through on my recording loud and clear.

no dude, this is what the guy said about WD:

"Now, Dane, in full vocal regalia, suffocates the songs much in the same way Dani Filth does to Cradle Of Filth. The songs’ instrumental breaks are too brief of an escape from the histrionics, magnifying the fact that, as powerful and diverse a voice Dane commands, restraint isn’t part of the equation here."

Wolftribe said:
I really like Seed Awakening, i think its one of Nevermores fastest, and most thrashy songs (not the fastest/most thrashy, but one of them). Sounds like Slayer on drugs

you should probably listen to more nevermore before making such a bold statement.....

and there is no amount of drugs that could make slayer sound as remotely good as nevermore

(poor choice of words from penguin, but Im sure you'll get the message)

Underregistered said:
no dude, this is what the guy said about WD:
I know full well, what he said. I was being a smartass myself, when taking:
"Whereas Dreaming Neon Black, and the aforementioned Dead Heart, In A Dead World, used contrast (“Deconstruction”) and sudden mood shifts (“The Heart Collector”) to offset striking heaviness, Enemies of Reality is surprisingly straightforward insofar as it renders much of the album’s accomplishments (choruses, solos, bridges, drumming) mute."
and being a grammar assclown of my own when the last word there should be moot... Mute means can't speak (sing). Moot means doesn't matter. Guess I should be more clear when I'm being a dork.

"Meet the Strunk and White assassin/he's coming down to correct your text" or some crap like that.

*yawn* time to go to UDF...

r-penguin said:
you should probably listen to more nevermore before making such a bold statement.....

and there is no amount of drugs that could make slayer sound as remotely good as nevermore

(poor choice of words from penguin, but Im sure you'll get the message)

i have heard all of nevermores stuff.... and thats pretty much what i listen to most of the time, yeah i know it was a bold statement, but its just my opinion. I agree with the nevermore being better than slayer thing, but i just thought that some of the guitar riffs in seed awakening remind me of Raining Blood.. which is a good song.

huh?
you can't make a statement like "this is so and so's fastest song" and then call it an opinion
I guess Im just being an asshole :)
since you DID say
"i ---think--- its one of Nevermores fastest, and most thrashy songs "

so really, you're just really wrong

and....seed awakening alone destroys slayers entire career

fuck reign in blood, fuck him in the ass

I have the CD, and I must say that while it didn't crack me over the head like DNB or DHIADW with one listen, it is a solid CD, save for the subpar production and nearly buried bass. I read the review, and as a Nevermore fan I can tell the guy to fuck off - as a music fan I can say that I do find this to be a bit "different" from other releases, which is really its charm and point. Who wants AC/DC or Def Leppard ramming the same thing down your throats year after year?

All in all, I'd say the same 7/10...I enjoy listening to it, absorbing it and I will buy it the very day the CD is released to the public just because I have to have booklets, a case...and give Nevermore my money...because since 1995, no other band has earned it more!!

Chris (who reappears at the weirdest times)

Also, RP, when i said it reminded of me of slayer, i just meant that one riff when the drums come in... i happen to agree that seed awakening and nevermore in general rape and slay slayer... no question, i was just making a comparison between the two riffs...
As for slayer, yeah they have some good albums, but Nevermore has so many more factors, which it make it overall more quality.

Kon16ov said:
I know full well, what he said. I was being a smartass myself, when taking:
"Whereas Dreaming Neon Black, and the aforementioned Dead Heart, In A Dead World, used contrast (“Deconstruction”) and sudden mood shifts (“The Heart Collector”) to offset striking heaviness, Enemies of Reality is surprisingly straightforward insofar as it renders much of the album’s accomplishments (choruses, solos, bridges, drumming) mute."
and being a grammar assclown of my own when the last word there should be moot... Mute means can't speak (sing). Moot means doesn't matter. Guess I should be more clear when I'm being a dork.

"Meet the Strunk and White assassin/he's coming down to correct your text" or some crap like that.

*yawn* time to go to UDF...

Um, no, I meant mute, as in unable to speak/convey to the listener. I know the difference.

And, hey, Death Angel rocks.

Why not just admit you meant moot and move on? The whole sentence is phrased to mean that the good points are made useless by its straightforwardness. Saying they are rendered mute just doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, I couldn't disagree more with the review. I, for one, will be happy to never have to hear a lameass power ballad ever again. They are ALWAYS the weakest tracks on the disc. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up listening to gayass music like Dio.

Please don't call Dio gayass music. :(

Why not use something more friendly, like, Queer music......eh? eh?

It's really better for the environment. :)

digitalmetalcom said:
Um, no, I meant mute, as in unable to speak/convey to the listener. I know the difference.
I figger'd, but I was in a crabby mood, last night... It didn't make a whole lot of sense, contextually, but, actually, as a fully accredited "Doinker of Language" the juxtaposition of meaning is acutally cooler. What a difference a night's sleep makes. I still don't agree with the review, but that's OK. I'm finding that the more I listen to the album the more I want to buy it...(shhh...we're not supposed to talk about that) I also thought the inadvertent smileys in the quoted text was choice...
And, hey, Death Angel rocks.
I think that DA and subsequently the first Organization CD rage...the second Organization (SF) CD was less good...the Steely Dan cover was cool, though...

And I've got to throw fuel on this whole Slayer thing... Crionics is still one of my all time favorite songs...along with Black Magic....Angel...Raining... Their offerrings from the same time period as Nevermore, however, is nowhere NEAR as solid, musical or well-done as the Nevermore catalog. Could be the lack of Lombardoness. Could be that WD and co. just have more versatility.

Ah, well. Time to feed the kids. Personally, I think Seed Awakening's riff is up there with the best riffs out there.