Nevermore - Sziget fest review and photos

-Syl-

what.where.why.
Apr 28, 2004
Budapest, Hungary
here is my review
tried to translate, and I had to simplify some parts of the hungarian version
the first two sentense is about a crappy hungarian band, that played before nvrmr

photos later... (this week :) )

"Nevermore Is Metal

Worn-out, out-of-date, Balkan hard rock, which wasn't the best in its own era too. Everybody is at the Main Stage, the remaining few will fall asleep immediately anyway. It's so dusty and old, that even the ventilators on the side of the tent slow down.

With a pretty much contrast, Nevermore bursts onto the stage. I see them for the fifth time, but they’re a kind of band that I would be able to look in a weekly basis. The „classic” Nevermore members are standing on the left side of the stage - the band's old-time friend, Tim Johnston plays on bass instead of Jim Sheppard, who is a funny and kind guy, but Seattle Zorro is missing very much from the band (mostly when I realize that the band is opening with Medicated Nation). In the role of of Steve Smyth, it's Chris Broderick „guitargodding” for some time by the side of Jeff. The guy is wearing his guitar close to his neck like a loose scarf, but he is really pleasant for the female eyes...

Nothing shows better, that a musician starts growing old, when he is ready to go on stage in an undershirt and some growing belly: Warrel Dane’s new look now reminds me more like a car mechanic from Maine than his few-year-earlier self. But despite the new hair color, his voice is the same old one. As I remember it's his best performance among the ones I've seen, he’s singing almost perfect, and he’s jumping up and down just like a kid in the school gym. Funny.

The setlist is pretty varied - of course it’s nonsense to put everybody’s favorite into a festival setlist, but there are some surprises: Deconstruction and No More Will from the DNB album, which is possibly not really known by the younger fans, but the older ones’ hearts surely break a little.

Jeff brings his monster - eh, how beautiful is that guitar! But of course the main thing is its sound. My chin is knocking on the floor many times, and I'm murmuring a prayer to clone Jeff and send copies of him to each and every countries to teach the young guitar players, how to PLAY. ("One Jeff for every household!")
Chris doesn’t play many solos, but I don’t mind, we may take delight in his muscles instead.

It’s obvious, that the "Nevermore-feeling" tops during the perfect River Dragon, Narcosynthesis with its "clockwork rhytms", the snake-dancing I Voyager, or Enemies Of Reality - which has the perfect chunk-chunk-chunk rhytm, a trademark for Nevermore. When they started to play these songs, it was even painful for me to stay standing still. I would like to bang my head and move (or dance), the only obstacle is that I'm watching the whole set from an unusual place (but it's usual for me). I'm as close to the band as possible - sitting right in front of the stage, in the press area, just a cocktail glass is missing for the total comfort.
They play the song Born from their last album with that hymnical chorus - this will slowly turn into another Nevermore classic.

And here is something I'm telling for a looong-looong time: Van Williams is one of the most underrated drummers of the metal scene. I want a concert where I can watch him and only him as he plays on the drums: he’s a shockingly spectacular player, his moves are dancing above his drumkit. If you are looking or the secret recipes of Nevermore – well, one of them are the memorable drum themes.
And then, I want another show, where I can watch only the guitar solos with normal speed, and then half speed.

They seemed to be a bit tired, but on the stage they moved totally Nevermore-ish. And finally, they don't show the "we are angry rockstars" face, they’re smiling a lot, which brings much more feelings to the concert, even if their music is not the smiling type.

What always can makes me feel good, is The Godless Endeavor. This song is the pure essence of Nevermore (even though we can sing „weee aaare the enemies of realityyyy” on one part of it). In this song they have everything that defines the band: poetic pain, groove, unique melodies, dynamics, riffs that cause adrenaline-rush, mountains of emotions, calculated chaos, plus a shredder guitar solo which causes erection for all young guitarist-wannabes.

And then they have songs that could break anybody's heart: Believe In Nothing, Who Decides, The Heart Collector and No More Will (how could they close the show with this? It’s a torture!) These four songs deepen the scars into my soul, and although I feel actually perfect, I want nothing just to fall into the Sun with eyes wide open. Because nothing makes sense anymore:what could make sense after a Nevermore show? (I know, I know… I’m pathetic again.)"

I wish my friend, Darren, could play drums alot better than he currently does... he's too predictable. Van should give him lessons.

Chris Broderick „guitargodding” for some time by the side of Jeff. The guy is wearing his guitar close to his neck like a loose scarf, but he is really pleasant for the female eyes...

Chris doesn’t play many solos, but I don’t mind, we may take delight in his muscles instead.

Faffy - You're a girl after my own heart.

WD looks a little like Anders here:

nevermore_p2007_050.jpg

And please tell me why in most photos Van looks like he's taking a shit and Jeff looks like he has a lazy eye?
nevermore_p2007_94.jpg

Hot hot hot
nevermore_p2007_78.jpg

I love this style with the slow shutter speed and fill flash:
nevermore_p2007_60.jpg

And no comment on this one.
nevermore_p2007_020.jpg

Warrel has black nails ... how emo :p and a wig would be better than his new look ... the old one was a blast!

Honestly in my opinion black nail polish looks good sometimes regardless to "emo". Kinda hot too... sometimes!

*hides*

oh, great pictures Faffy!!!!
There are some people on this board that always deliver the best shots
and you are definitely one of them :)

Honestly in my opinion black nail polish looks good sometimes regardless to "emo". Kinda hot too... sometimes!

*hides*

oh, great pictures Faffy!!!!
There are some people on this board that always deliver the best shots
and you are definitely one of them :)

Yes, it's okay sometimes, but only (!) in that case if sbody has nice hand/fingers.

Thanks. Honestly I'm not really satisfied with that pics, I like a few but there wasn't too much lights and I have to use flash. I used flash on the half of the concert the other half not.
And I tried to catch some funny moments. :p